PDA

View Full Version : InstallFest

crane
April 14th, 2008, 01:43 AM
OK, I am looking to plan an install fest in the Birmingham Area. I could use a few suggestions as to where we should have it. I have never planned one of these myself.

retrow
May 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi

I am a student at UAB. I'd be quite interested in an InstallFest. Some place on UAB campus would be a good idea.

Eutaw
May 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome retrow.
Keep an eye on this site. We do an IRC meeting Thursday around 9pm. Crane was trying to get ideas for a poster at the last one. I think he's got a place lined up, just has to advertise a little.

crane
May 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Hi

I am a student at UAB. I'd be quite interested in an InstallFest. Some place on UAB campus would be a good idea.

ummm yea, we tried that. LOL. it just so happens it fell on the same days as the crawfish boil, UAB graduation, and a few other things. To be honest it was bad timing on my part.
The LoCo and the Local users group are working closely together on a few project. We all have the same goal so why not pool resources. We are kicking aroung the idea of having an installfest 4 times a year. Were are also working on advertising ideas and a couple of conference/seminars.

tryxl
May 7th, 2008, 06:21 AM
A few of us at work have been talking about an installfest in Gadsden in the near future, anyone near here?

retrow
May 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
ummm yea, we tried that. LOL. it just so happens it fell on the same days as the crawfish boil, UAB graduation, and a few other things. To be honest it was bad timing on my part.If it make you feel any better, I installed Suse10.3 on two of my friends' laptops and Ubuntu 8.04 on another friend's in the past week. In all cases the very presence of Vista on those laptops was an advertisement enough :p And none of them were gamers, so it wasn't hard to show them why they should leave the dark side.

Welcome retrow.
Keep an eye on this site. We do an IRC meeting Thursday around 9pm. Thanks Eutaw, there was a social in Bham last evening which I wanted to attend but couldn't make it because of time constraints.