PDA

View Full Version : computers just getting cheaper

drascus
April 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I love how buying a computer now adays is a lot like buying a TV in that it's almost just as cheap. Look how cool this computer from Zareason is for just 220 bucks is: http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16176&cat=0&page=1

the8thstar
April 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well, the box looks cool, but there's no CD/DVD/BR drive! What's the point? Plus, if you want something that's gonna last, you'll climb up the price ladder quite quickly iMO.

swoll1980
April 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
you can get a IBM with a 3.0 p4 cd rw xp home for $299 at micro center

drascus
April 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well, the box looks cool, but there's no CD/DVD/BR drive! What's the point? Plus, if you want something that's gonna last, you'll climb up the price ladder quite quickly iMO.

This is true there is no CD drive I didn't even notice that. For 30 dollars more you can buy their limbo system which has it. I guess though you could always install things via a thumb drive if you are savy at doing that or get an external CD drive. you are right of course most people buying a new system would spring for something more expensive. I have found that Zareason makes systems which are very upgradable and if you don't have much money a system in that price range even if it isn't incredibly powerful is a good choice.

Tundro Walker
April 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Unless you're doing gaming, or some hard-core video/sound editing, you can hop on CraigsList and buy someone's old p4 2+ghz for ~$100 cheap. Usually comes with a burner, decent sized hd, etc. It's more than enough horsepower to do day-to-day stuff.

Computers are the modern version of the hoola-hoop, where supply has just outweighed demand, so folks are practically giving them away these days. But, like the previous posters said, the price quickly escalates when you get to more modern, quality hardware. Most folks don't need a modern computer, though, unless they're trying to use Vista.

If you're sticking with Ubuntu, you can easily get old p3 & p4's to sing pretty. It's almost a crying shame how these perfectly good comps are getting kicked to the curb, because they can't run Vista well.