PDA

View Full Version : RFID coming to New York

lotusleaf
October 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM
"New-wave pay plan (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/355359p-302757c.html)"

"Within weeks, New Yorkers will be able to pay for their Big Macs, prescription drugs and movies with a debit or credit card that doesn't have to be handed over to a cashier or swiped in a machine."

Maybe this will inspire a lot of people to lose weight by flapping their arms like a bird before the registers for their meals. RFID's been talked about a lot in the news, tested in various locations around the world, and now it appears to be rolling out for public use.

Comments?

my words within this post are all in my opinion

Brunellus
October 13th, 2005, 09:09 PM
RFID is already in use on the Washington, DC MetroRail and MetroBus systems, as well as in Transport for London Buses/Tubes/Docklands Light Railway.

majikstreet
October 13th, 2005, 09:22 PM
RFID is already in use on the Washington, DC MetroRail and MetroBus systems, as well as in Transport for London Buses/Tubes/Docklands Light Railway.
Yeah, it has been in use with the Metro in the DC area for a long time. I never knew it was RFID though.

It's called smartcard or something like that... You pay for a card and when you use it you just place it on a pad and it works!

Brunellus
October 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM
SmarTrip, and I think it's absolutely brilliant. It'll even let you off the Metro if you're short fare--wont' let you back on until you pay up though.

Wish they'd do it all Oyster-style like they do in London, and offer monthly and seasonal bus/rail passes BY ZONE (which is how WMATA figures rail fare anyway).

mstlyevil
October 13th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I don't want it and I just plain do not trust it. I could be walking in the mall or something and some thief may be able to scan my information and wipe out my bank account. I will either use cash or stick with a traditional credit card.

xequence
October 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
It is just giving more power to the government. I dont like it :P

BoyOfDestiny
October 14th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I don't want it and I just plain do not trust it. I could be walking in the mall or something and some thief may be able to scan my information and wipe out my bank account. I will either use cash or stick with a traditional credit card.

Phew, I was starting to worry no one else doesn't want it. It's high tech, but doesn't mean high security. You are supposed to be able to read it at only close distances, but there are ways around that. Depending on what data it carries....bad consequences.

luckyaba
October 14th, 2005, 12:09 AM
OH BOY
thats all i have to say about that

macgyver2
October 14th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Phew, I was starting to worry no one else doesn't want it.
I don't want it either. I made it a point to get a passport once I heard the talk of RFID embedded ones planned here in the US. I wanted to get one without the chip before that was implemented. I hope more people will wise up and fight this crap before I have to renew it in ten years.

marketing_ubuntu
October 14th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about security, but Market Research? Oh yeah - you don't need to even ask someone what they bought - just scan them.

Than again, it might be positive in the way that annoying market researchers won't stop you in the street, lol. Invasion of privacy, though...not good.

And if you're on the way home, down a dark alleyway - will someone be able to pre-programme expensive item retail brand tags into a handheld scanner and see if you've got anything in your bags worth mugging you for?

majikstreet
October 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I don't want it either. I made it a point to get a passport once I heard the talk of RFID embedded ones planned here in the US. I wanted to get one without the chip before that was implemented. I hope more people will wise up and fight this crap before I have to renew it in ten years.

Oh sh^t.... I am going to get a passport eventually, eventually because of custody issues... I don't want a chip embeded in mine! For now I guess, I must stay in the USA.