PDA

View Full Version : Getting a super fast desktop

blithen
April 13th, 2008, 03:07 AM
In booting and loading in general.
anyone have tips on what config files to edit?
I'll probably switch to XFCE for my GUI.
And all it's programs for pretty quick loading and running.
But Anymore I can do besides that?

akiratheoni
April 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Config files for what? To install XFCE or to configure it?

From what I've used of XFCE (i've used it a bit, but not as my main desktop environment on my main computer, just messed around with it on my laptop) there isn't really a lot of config files to edit unless you want to do something like change the color of the panels which involve editing your gtkrc-2.0 file (I think).

If you want a super fast desktop, try a *box like Fluxbox, Blackbox, or Openbox. I hear that Awesomewm, PekWM, IceWM are fast too, although I haven't used either too much.

The only issue with the *boxes and the *wms are that each of them are slightly more difficult to configure because most of them are done through text files rather than GUIs like GNOME and KDE.

Kingsley
April 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM
You could speed up your system by turning off unneeded processes.

This link has a lot of good information:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491

blithen
April 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Config files for what? To install XFCE or to configure it?

From what I've used of XFCE (i've used it a bit, but not as my main desktop environment on my main computer, just messed around with it on my laptop) there isn't really a lot of config files to edit unless you want to do something like change the color of the panels which involve editing your gtkrc-2.0 file (I think).

If you want a super fast desktop, try a *box like Fluxbox, Blackbox, or Openbox. I hear that Awesomewm, PekWM, IceWM are fast too, although I haven't used either too much.

The only issue with the *boxes and the *wms are that each of them are slightly more difficult to configure because most of them are done through text files rather than GUIs like GNOME and KDE.
I wasn't talking about XFCE config files. It was more of like..system tweaking config files.

myusername
April 13th, 2008, 04:15 AM
this is a very good how to

http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html

just be careful

cardinals_fan
April 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Use Openbox - you'll never go back...

Calibre
April 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM
If you want super fast go for Arch or Gentoo.

chucky chuckaluck
April 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM
in addition to shutting off processes you don't need (as others have suggested), i found things got faster when i dumped usplash and gdm. my laptop usually boots up in around 15 seconds.

cardinals_fan
April 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
But it's worth it, because this makes them both extremely configurable and very portable (if I install a new distro, I just copy over the config files and have all my settings).

zmjjmz
April 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
You could also drop using gtk all together (if you don't mind ugliness).
Then drop gnome-terminal, use mxrvt (I think that's the name) instead of whatever terminal, ROX for a file manager, screw panels completely and just use twm (or vtwm if you _need_ a virtual desktop), use an old version of Konquerer or Dillo or links2-gui for web browsing, XMMS for music, rtorrent, feh for backgrounds, irssi, Ted (or Abiword if you have bad grammar too) mplayer for movies, tftp, nano, don't even bother with synaptic and just use aptitude, Naim, connect to wireless networks via command line, etc.
DSL and DeLi are light, and so can you!

kerry_s
April 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
go custom, if you start from the base and install only what you need/use you'll get a much faster system. using simple wm's and light programs really makes a big difference. try different things, see what you like most.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

i prefer debian, so i build mine from a debian base.

Breakage
April 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Also if you compile new programs use optimised cflags.

frenchn00b
April 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I run fvwm with gnome-panel;
but you would get the best results with no gdm/kdm and running autologin
http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html
and with Openbox. Nothing beats openbox. Avoid running processes that you dont use at boot in /etc/rc2.d/ ; no openftp ...

Tundro Walker
April 13th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Man, you Linux folks make things so freakin' complicated.

Look, jst do like the Vista folks do and get a faster computer. Problem solved!

;)

Breakage
April 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM

;)

Linux is for people with brains. If i was on xp and got a new pc just to run vista at the same speed xp was running, where's the logic in that?

kerry_s
April 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM

;)

:lolflag:

kerry_s
April 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Linux is for people with brains. If i was on xp and got a new pc just to run vista at the same speed xp was running, where's the logic in that?

it's a joke, your suppose to have a since of humor to go with your brain.

finferflu
April 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
If you want super fast go for Arch or Gentoo.
+1 for Arch! :D

jacob01
April 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM

;)

lol bute force approach

another one would be just live with it, that one is used by most win users :lolflag:

herbster
April 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
16 second boot on Arch here, always a flux session. But I reboot once a month so it's no biggie.

RedSquirrel
April 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
K.Mandla's guide might help when you want to tweak your system a bit:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/howto-set-up-gutsy-for-speed/

As mentioned above, if you install the base system and build up from there you should get good results. That's what I always do (on Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, ...).

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones

Xfce is a pretty nice DE, but I prefer a light window manager instead of a full DE (Openbox is my current favourite).

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I've been working on my desktop for awhile now, and It's getting there.
But what's the difference between open and fluxbox?

myusername
April 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Everywhere I Have Read Says That Flux Is Better...but I Have Yet To Try Openbox

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Everywhere I Have Read Says That Flux Is Better...but I Have Yet To Try Openbox

Wasn't asking that though. I was asking if there was any distinct differences between the two window managers.

akiratheoni
April 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM
But it's worth it, because this makes them both extremely configurable and very portable (if I install a new distro, I just copy over the config files and have all my settings).

Oh, of course it is. It's just not the newb-friendliest thing. But if you can handle text files, then it's completely worth it. If you can't, I suggest you start learning :P

But what's the difference between open and fluxbox?

From my experience (I haven't used Fluxbox all that much) fluxbox comes with a panel whereas openbox doesn't. That's the only difference I've seen so I'm sure more Fluxbox-savvy users can help me out here.

Openbox needs to rely on a separate panel. I use pypanel although I used Tint in the past.

kerry_s
April 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Wasn't asking that though. I was asking if there was any distinct differences between the two window managers.

openbox is like fluxbox naked. it only provides a window manager, you pick everything else from the panel to a background setter. other than that no real difference in use.

you should try jwm.

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM
what about blackbox?

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM
what about blackbox?
:P Another, 'what makes it different' query.

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm not really too sure. It was a couple of years ago that I messed around with the various WMs, but I never really sat down and used any of them seriously. I always got the impression though, that people didn't like blackbox or just tended to ignore it. I never understood why, because I remember liking it a whole bunch; not for any special reason, but I think it was just pretty easy to use.

Anyways, these are all pretty small packages. Why not install them and try them out? Would probably give you a better overview than forum posts, and faster too.

Jammin80503
April 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Take a look at Fluxbuntu - its a little confusing at first, but very nice and really fast once you get used to it.

chris4585
April 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Use Openbox - you'll never go back...

+1 for openbox! its stable and super fast.

Here's a image of my setup.

http://i29.tinypic.com/4janex.jpg

urukrama
April 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Have a look at this post (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/a-comparison-of-four-window-managers/) on my blog. It offers a comparison of Icewm, Fluxbox, Openbox and Pekwm.

My opinion? Though Openbox seems to have less features (no panel, no transparency, no pixmap themes), I believe it actually has a lot more features and options. It is also more actively developped, and new (excellent) features are added with every release. Openbox is the most polished window manager.

insane_alien
April 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
why don't you just dump the GUI all together? THAT speeds up your system a whole lot. :D

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
why don't you just dump the GUI all together? THAT speeds up your system a whole lot. :D

:P I've tried, I just can't live without pretty pictures.

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Have a look at this post (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/a-comparison-of-four-window-managers/) on my blog. It offers a comparison of Icewm, Fluxbox, Openbox and Pekwm.

My opinion? Though Openbox seems to have less features (no panel, no transparency, no pixmap themes), I believe it actually has a lot more features and options. It is also more actively developped, and new (excellent) features are added with every release. Openbox is the most polished window manager.

EXCELLENT work!

herbster
April 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I used open for a while and then tried flux, have stuck with it since. I don't know if I can pinpoint what keeps me on flux, I can say the flux toolbar is the best I've used by miles, no comparison for me with pypanel, which I really don't like.

Either of 'em are speedy, though, and will wind up teaching you a lot about configuration, window settings, layouts, etc. just via regular usage.

urukrama
April 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I can say the flux toolbar is the best I've used by miles, no comparison for me with pypanel, which I really don't like.

It's funny. I would say the exact opposite ;-)

EXCELLENT work!

Thank you.

RedSquirrel
April 30th, 2008, 03:35 AM
One important difference is that Openbox is configured via XML files, whereas Fluxbox uses a custom syntax. Both are fairly easy to learn.

I've noticed on really old hardware that Openbox is a tiny bit faster. On newer computers I don't think anyone would notice a speed difference.

For a panel, I like fbpanel.

As for Blackbox, well, it's not in active development, but some people still use it. I prefer to use software that is in active development, but that's just me.

Nicely done! :)

I haven't had time to review the entire table, but I did notice one small correction: Fluxbox is written in C++, not C. ;)

urukrama
April 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Nicely done! :)

I haven't had time to review the entire table, but I did notice one small correction: Fluxbox is written in C++, not C. ;)

Thank you, RedSquirrel. I'll correct that. If you find any more errors, please let me know.

ssam
April 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
install preload. it speeds up program loading.

herbster
April 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It's funny. I would say the exact opposite ;-)

Thank you.

Nunca! The flux toolbar is incredible, it's the only toolbar I have used yet that fits my clicking/minimizing/etc habits perfectly. Pypanel is good, just a lil' cousin to flux though.

urukrama
April 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Nunca! The flux toolbar is incredible, it's the only toolbar I have used yet that fits my clicking/minimizing/etc habits perfectly. Pypanel is good, just a lil' cousin to flux though.

You know you can customize pypanel's clicking/minimizing/etc behaviour, right?

herbster
April 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Oh of course, I customized the hell out of pypanel. The tray was buggy with certain apps (pidgin/amarok that I can recall) as icons would show/not show sometimes, the toolbar flickered quite a bit, some others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Hey, to each his own :)

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh of course, I customized the hell out of pypanel. The tray was buggy with certain apps (pidgin/amarok that I can recall) as icons would show/not show sometimes, the toolbar flickered quite a bit, some others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Hey, to each his own :)

For me, pypanel only flickers when Firefox finishes a download and the little 'all downloads have finished' tooltip thingy pops up. I haven't had any issues with the tray with Pidgin or Amarok though.

seatex
April 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Something else to suggest, especially for those on laptops...

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed and check your settings. The BIOS in my Gateway T7200 lappy had some like...

OS - Win 2k, XP/Vista, Other (UNIX & LINUX)