PDA

View Full Version : A must read for those tired of 'i'm going back to windows' threads

akiratheoni
April 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
It was on Digg a couple weeks ago. But an interesting read nonetheless.

http://positivesharing.com/2008/03/top-5-reasons-why-the-customer-is-always-right-is-wrong/

Read the first story. I'll quote it here:

One woman who frequently flew on Southwest, was constantly disappointed with every aspect of the company’s operation. In fact, she became known as the “Pen Pal” because after every flight she wrote in with a complaint.

She didn’t like the fact that the company didn’t assign seats; she didn’t like the absence of a first-class section; she didn’t like not having a meal in flight; she didn’t like Southwest’s boarding procedure; she didn’t like the flight attendants’ sporty uniforms and the casual atmosphere.

Her last letter, reciting a litany of complaints, momentarily stumped Southwest’s customer relations people. They bumped it up to Herb’s [Kelleher, CEO of Southwest] desk, with a note: ‘This one’s yours.’

In sixty seconds, Kelleher wrote back and said, ‘Dear Mrs. Crabapple, We will miss you. Love, Herb.’”

Did you read it? Understand it? Great. Now, do you see the relevance here? I hope you do.

If you don't, I'll tell you.

This is EXACTLY how we should react if someone tells us that they're going back to Windows. No 'oh, please stay, we'll help you' or 'zomg you suck lolzors winblow$ is stoopid'.

Just tell them 'Thanks for trying, please leave.'

Don't give them the reaction they want. As the old saying goes, don't feed the trolls. They WANT us to give the 'please stay' reaction so they can further insult Ubuntu and its philosophy. Just tell them to leave and well, they can't do anything about it.

Please consider this proposal. This is the way we HAVE to deal with these people. As we get more people into Ubuntu, we will get more reactions.

Now of course this doesn't apply to every 'i'm going back to windows' threads. I haven't seen any lately but I'm sure that there are some legitmate threads where the user is considering switch but still wants to use Ubuntu. Of course you should help them, that's fine and doesn't apply to this post that I'm making.

I'm referring to the posts that are an obvious troll attempt and are only posted to stir up and create tensions among the Ubuntu users. DO NOT fall for them. Just tell them to leave and everything will be fine.

I hope you guys listen to me... it'll be for the best of all of us.

Tundro Walker
April 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM
The folks who are really serious about leaving Ubuntu either just leave w/o saying anything, or they right up a "going back to windows" post that's actually intelligent and insightful as to why they're leaving, and that they'll probably come back later. It usually has to do with some kind of hardware issue that hasn't been addressed yet, and all we can say is "go to your hardware manufacturers site and complain to them for not supporting Linux."

Anybody that starts tossing things in their "leaving Ubuntu" post like "you people need to..." or "windows is so much better" ... they're either trolling or just desperately seeking attention.

scouser73
April 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I wiped the partition that held Windows XP when I installed the 7.10 Live CD without actually realising what I was doing.

(I know, I'm an idiot), well no thats not strictly true as since installing Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon I have never and more to the point will never return to *******.

Newcomers to Linux should give themselves time to learn the basics; check the forums, Google for help, is that too much to ask?

I've found the Ubuntu forums to be very helpful when I've come across a problem, or whatever. The help is there if people need it, they know that, you know that, I know that.

I just wish people would either stay using Ubuntu, or simply leave, no crying, squabbling, or extolling the virtues of Microsoft. Just go, sorry to see you leaving, byeeeee.

In my humble opinion, Ubuntu happens to be the best O/S that I've used.

aysiu
April 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I don't agree with the phrasing, but I agree with the call to action.

You either help people when they ask for help, or you don't help them at all. There's no reason to help only once they've thrown a tantrum.

If people want to leave, let them leave. "I'm sorry Ubuntu doesn't seem to fit your needs" would suffice. No need to beg them to stay or argue with them.

vexorian
April 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
How about those threads were automatically moved to recurring discussions and closed?

I mean, when I am sure the guy is not asking for help, he is just ranting, it will do better for everyone to just keep the post but don't allow replies.