PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone

Kernel Sanders
April 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Anyone here have one, or want one? I want one quite badly. They look awesome, and my current phone is barely alive! :lol:

What do you all think of it?

plb
April 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
For the money I'd rather get a n95...iphone is overrated. I can't really picture paying that much for a phone though. But if you are set on an iphone I'd wait a few months as there is rumored to be a 3g version coming out in about 2 months if I'm not mistaken

ExpatPaul
April 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
For the money I'd rather get a n95...iphone is overrated.

Agreed. For all the hype, the iPhone is still a 2G phone that limits your network options

Riffer
April 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I guess its my age showing, but having a cell phone is the last thing I would waste my money on. I like the thought that people can't reach out and touch me whenever they feel like it (all due apologies for the bad reference to an old commercial).

Having said that if I was looking for a multi functional cell I don't think I would go with apple. I don't like the fact you're locked into 1 carrier and I think you could probably but something similar cheaper. We did when we went looking for a mp3 player.

amazingtaters
April 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
iPhone = all the pretty looking hardware you need, none of the top notch functions. It's not 3G, you're locked into a carrier, you can't add applications easily. Like an above post, I'd go with the Nokia n95, or perhaps one of the new iPhone competitors.

Depressed Man
April 13th, 2008, 03:18 AM
If you want to get an iPhone, wait for the next revision, it's suppose to have 3G. Not sure if you would still be tied to AT&T though (you can get around it of course).

And while there are some things about the iPhone that I like, the cons of it are enough to put it in the "I NO WANT" category. (sorry been reading to many LOLCATS).

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Ignore this.

myusername
April 13th, 2008, 04:12 AM
its hard to beat a jailbroken iphone

but dont get it if you plan to use ubuntu because it doesnt work...well it does but it is VERY buggy so i have to keep windows around :(

retrow
April 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Another well wisher who thinks you should opt for N95. The Nokia phone is way ahead of iPhone and most importantly it runs OS2008.

zenwhen
April 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I have an iPhone and I love it. Web browsing is so much better on the iPhone that you will cringe at doing it on any other phone, including a 3G one.

billgoldberg
April 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
You would have to pay me to use it.

I wouldn't even use it if I got it for free.

I can get windows or osx for free, but I don't. I use linux.

The reasons I wouldn't use a iphone are the same why I don't use windows or osx.

And smartphones are overkill for me anyway.

I only use my GSM to call, to SMS and occasionally take a picture.

wannadumpwindows
April 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
My biggest dislike of the iphone, the fact that it doesn't have buttons. I like that I don't HAVE to stare at my phone in order to dial a number. Pretty much defeats the purpose of speed dial altogether . . . .

igknighted
April 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I've played with it, and frankly I wasn't impressed at all. "oooh, I can flip through things and use 2 fingers to manipulate stuff"... oh wait, you mean aside from the gimmicky UI stuff it's just another locked up phone like my razor?

I'm holding out upgrading to a "smart" phone until data plans (a) come down in price to a reasonable level, and (b) coverage is truly fast and seamless. In all honesty, I think cell phones are a dying breed, at least in their current forms. The carriers like verizon and att think they own this lock on the whole flow... but once technology like wimax makes high-speed net access available, who needs an old fashioned cdma phone? Wimax (or similar technology) capable devices using voip for talk are the future. I would gladly pay for broadband through wimax and get access to my house and phone, this whole separate services for the same features on different devices is dumb, and as soon as the technology catches up, the cell companies will be sunk.

misfitpierce
April 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Negative I played with one that friend has and was disappointed... Went ahead and bought myself a Nokia 6263 to prep up for Tmobile 3g network coming summertime! :)