PDA

View Full Version : I give up , Im going back to Windows98

greengrass
October 13th, 2005, 08:25 PM
No sound, no internet, no mouse, Wasted 8 hours trying to get this damn thing to work.

Sorry guys, Bill Gates still has the leg up on your installation program.

SeanCallan
October 13th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I would almost agree with you, but no. I'm a LOG time Windows end user and developer.

I quickly downloaded the .iso burned it and installed. Only problems I had was with my NTFS HD and my resolution. I got the HD taken care of and working on the resolution now.

The installation was simplier, quickier and plan less of a hassel then any windows installation.

I'm not Linux GURU, but you may want to sit back, relax and try again, obviously something isn't right with the way you're installing, mine installed on my PC and my laptop (from 1999) without a problem. That laptop used to run Windows98, now it runs Ubuntu flawlessly (maybe not fast, but flawlessly)

drogoh
October 13th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Sorry guys, Bill Gates still has the leg up on your installation program.

I disagree. The Ubuntu installer is great. The problem, in your case, is hardware support. Linux has poor hardware support from the corporations because the communities are seen as small and not as viable as the larger Microsoft user base.

aysiu
October 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I'm closing this before it gets out of hand. Read my sig for more details on Linux's desktop viability and use whatever works for you. We've had plenty of threads like these already--search the forums for more details.