PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch this microsoft article?

egwest
April 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Now the truth is being made know, well, at least a fraction of it!

http://news.zdnet.com/2424-3515_22-197089.html

billgoldberg
April 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
So?

Microsoft has a point. At least with UAC, they try to make it a bit more secure.

If only used vista for a few weeks some time ago, but the UAC wasn't that bad as people claim.

Freddy
April 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
And UAC will become even better with time. Software doesn't need to write to the 'program files' folder. Vista has "user" folders for configuration files and such. So in the future Vista users won't have to see UAC 'pop' all the time, so this is actually a good thing. They might loose some customers (good thing too :)) in the short term but Windows will become better and more secure OS for it.

They are going to make a even ballsier move with Win7, breaking backwards compatibility win older versions of their OS but even here I think it's needed for Windows to live on....well this might not actuallt be a good thing after all :).

egwest
April 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
It is even worse right now then it might be in the future, my cousin has vista and a a program that starts at bootup, and she has to click on the UAC authorization about 6 times as it loads different parts of the program up.
She needs the program for work, so there is no way around it other then disabling the UAC, which in itself creates an annoying problem, as a message balloon keeps popping up in the system tray saying the system is no longer secure.

Pethegreat
April 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have to type in my password every time I use synpaptic or sudo apt-get install. Now vista users have to be almost responsible with their computers. Now the article says that companies who make better code don't need their products to go through UAC.

karellen
April 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I don't give it much credit. anyway, I don't find UAC so annoying

Tomatz
April 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
It's only one tool in their arsenal of user annoyances.

:lolflag:

Depressed Man
April 13th, 2008, 03:26 AM
It works (somewhat) though. By simply asking people "are you sure you really want to do that" it gets them to rethink what they're doing. Kinda like in school or college where the teacher/professor asks you "are you sure?"

Now for those who don't care, are in a hurry, etc... it won't help.

egwest
April 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Actually, what I think the problem is as my cousin put it, you install a valid program that does not meet the microsoft security standards, so every time you launch the program, the UAC pops up and asks you if you are sure you want to launch the program.
Now, I have no problem with typing in my password in on Linux, but that UAC does tend to get annoying, especially when it pops up in regards to a program that you already cleared, sometimes it will pop up anywhere between 3 to 6 times on the same program as it loads in different elements to memory.

At least with the Linux Administration you do not have to do that one right after the other.

kevdog
April 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
UAC pops up so many times on me, I conditioned not to read the popup but just go ahead and click OK -- yea that's a great security measure.

aimran
April 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM
What if you wrote your own program to do stuff? Does the UAC annoy you then?

swoll1980
April 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
people complain about how insecure xp is then they fix and people say it's annoying, I think no matter what somebody will be unhappy. Sometime in Ubuntu I have to jump through
hoops to delete trash from the trash can. is it annoying? Yes!! Would I rather have everything accessible to everyone?No!! Sometimes you have to compromise

zmjjmz
April 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM
It has some good ideas behind it, i.e. make users complain to developers of 3rd party programs to stop accessing system-level stuff. Of course, they assumed their user knew about how this stuff works. Well, wrong. It backfired on them as we can see, because the users just thought that Vista was being annoying.
Anyways, my friend who's been forced to use Vista (and he hates it with a passion) has pointed out that Vista asks for permission in places it shouldn't, and I've noticed that while I could look but not touch the screen resolution (not through the menu though) in Ubuntu, I couldn't do the same in Vista. I needed the admin password just to look at the screen resolutions, even if I just wanted to tell the store manager it was all funky, not go about messing with them. They might of thought that what they'd do was improve on our security model, instead they failed at it.

NightwishFan
April 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM
UAC is only annoying when it is needed more than once for the same program as was said. Also when it glitches and does not come to the front immediately. The rarest and worst is when it refuses to load and your system is rendered useless for minutes as the uac promt tries to come up. :(

I agree Windows, at least on the surface is not all bad. I just worry so much about what is under the hood.

Saint Angeles
April 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
people complain about how insecure xp is then they fix and people say it's annoying, I think no matter what somebody will be unhappy. Sometime in Ubuntu I have to jump through
hoops to delete trash from the trash can. is it annoying? Yes!! Would I rather have everything accessible to everyone?No!! Sometimes you have to compromise
well the insecurity of XP is because the default account is a root account. that would be like ubuntu starting up as root user (which would suck). but windows bugging you about software you wanna install is a little more annoying than ubuntu asking you for your root password.

i could be wrong, my experience with vista isn't much... but i think the major flaw with any non-unix-based OS is the way the file system is setup. i've heard countless times of people attempting to delete malware only to end up with a windows that doesn't boot up. theres a thin line between malware and system files.

you are right when you say you can't make everybody happy... i just love the security of ubuntu compared to any windows i have tried.