PDA

View Full Version : Programming Progression

Danikar
April 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Ok, so I have learned the basics and syntax of a few languages.

C/C++, Perl, PHP, C#, and Java.
Edit: Also I know how to use a few simple APIs GTK, MySQL. Also did a few basic Unix Socket programs.

It seems that most books on these subjects never get much past abstract uses of the language. In other words you never make a practical program.

At work I deal a lot with Perl and PHP because I work with web servers. However, ultimately I think I would like to get into application programming.

I read a post on Slashdot that said if you want to get good at programming you should go to the bug fix websites and start fixing the easy ones. Like Launchpad or Bugzilla sites. However, when I look at these sites I am confused on where to start, and when I look at a full blown applications source code I get totally overwhelmed.

My question is, given that I want to do application programming. (Hopefully open source, and multi platform) and given the knowledge I have (Good grasp of the concepts of C/C++ and a little OOP) what should I do to get better.

If it is those bug websites how do I get familiar with the way an applications source code is layed out?

lnostdal
April 12th, 2008, 05:04 AM
start by downloading the source, compiling it then running the result

then break stuff .. you know; like when you where a kid -- screwdriver .. hammer .. "what's inside this thing?" .. do you remember how that was?

.. the good news is that sourcecode is cheap (as in free) to copy .. so even if you can't unbreak something - someone else will always have a copy

Danikar
April 12th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Any suggestions for simple intuitive programs to start with?

lnostdal
April 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
i can only suggest things _i_ have an interest in (should i?)

.. you've got to find "your own thing"; a big goal .. you need motivation and drive; an "itch" .. i can't give you that - and if i tried you'd lose interest before getting past the first hill

pmasiar
April 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
So IIUC you want to dive into application programming? Web applications are also applications :-)

Just pick a project you are interested in enough to spend couple months learning it. It depends of **your** interests. If you don't have any, look around for some nonprofits and ask how you can help. Or there are many sites with bounty on tasks, try those if you care.

At least tell us what your interests are, so we can point you. Games? e-shop? Drivers? Editor? Who knows?