PDA

View Full Version : Grisoft's AVG Free Edition for Linux coming soon

lotusleaf
October 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Within the brief news article titled, "Grisoft predicts Linux virus plague" (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2143697/grisoft-warns-linux-virus) the following quote resides:

"The firm is preparing to launch what it claims is the first commercially developed Linux antivirus product to be available free for Linux users.

According to Grisoft, AVG Free Edition for Linux is the only program for Linux that self-updates the software, as well as checking for the latest virus updates."

Hopefully Grisoft's free offering for Linux will come with a GUI like its Windows version does.

Edit: It looks like Avast! is working on it's own anti-virus for Linux as well, according to the Avast! Linux discussion forum area (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?&board=5.0).

Comments?

maruchan
October 13th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah, they are totally all *over* this scene, now that Linux isn't an ugly duckling anymore. I expect to see a lot of really good utilities ported to/developed for Linux soon. You can practically feel it in the air.

Ubunted
October 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM
"It's only a matter of time before Linux viruses appear. We say so. To prove it, we're making a client for Linux. Because you need it. You need it because we say so. BE AFRAID! We say so."

mstlyevil
October 13th, 2005, 07:35 PM
It was only a matter of time before major software makers begin to realize there is a market for Linux users out there. I tried to download the new release of Suse this week and the mirrors are swamped. I bet the same thing applies to Ubuntu and it's mirrors this week. Linux is gaining rapidly in popularity and it will not be long before everyone starts to take notice.

mstlyevil
October 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
"It's only a matter of time before Linux viruses appear. We say so. To prove it, we're making a client for Linux. Because you need it. You need it because we say so. BE AFRAID! We say so."

there are already Linux viruses out in the wild. They are only effective on people who run as root users. Also linux can download and infect windows machines with viruses. I think a good antivirus is a good Idea to keep networks safe and to keep attachments clean that we send to our friends who use windows.

jyank
October 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear that. Of course, I don't think I need it at the moment, but that is what I use on windows and I find it much more effective than norton/mcaffe.

WildTangent
October 14th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Glad to hear that. Of course, I don't think I need it at the moment, but that is what I use on windows and I find it much more effective than norton/mcaffe.
same for me, i use AVG because it updates regularily, and it doesnt take up as much system resources as norton or mcafee. and its free :D

-Wild