PDA

View Full Version : Version number in Ubuntu

BobSongs
April 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
This is probably the wrong time and place to post this. But when you're a long-time Ubuntu user it's possible a number of Ubuntu setup CDs get tucked into your system CD pouch.

And on occasion you tend to forget which version that "Ubuntu" is. And sliding that CD into the drive to see it boot... doesn't tell you what version it is.

Perhaps future versions of Ubuntu should have the name of the version appear underneath, or perhaps just the version number... somewhere on the live CD's boot screen.

I've noted a few posts that have presented the confusion about version numbers. This may help solve this, while it's not a pressing issue.

Having it in the usplash screen wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've included a couple of scratch GNOME splash screens (System > Preferences > Splash Screen in Gutsy Gibbon) to test. If you like, I can bring them to proper specs -- these are just "by eye".

eragon100
April 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Boot the live cd and go to system -> administration -> system monitor.

It displays the version on the first tab, very clearly :)

christianxxx
April 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I agree with BobSongs. Although it's possible to see after boot, I quite often would like to see it during boot, and being able to abort if it's the wrong version.
Yes, I could buy a pen and write on the *** cd, but it would be so nice with a usplash telling me as well... :)

Mazza558
April 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I can usually tell by the time it reaches the CD choice menu.

For Hardy, it has "Try a demo" and "Install" as separate options
For Gutsy it just has one combined option
For Feisty it has a different logo (If I recall correctly)

az
April 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6715/

BobSongs
April 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
The version number on the physical CD is indeed my responsibility.

My point was that the Live CD could notify us, even if in a subtle way, what version it is.

eragon100's suggestion to
Boot the live cd and go to system -> administration -> system monitor.requires start up and shut down time--time better spent by removing a version one may not wish to run in favor of another. :-k

But as az clearly pointed out: this is idea #6715. So, we'll consider this issue ... somewhat settled. ;-)

BobSongs
April 12th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Here are some unofficial GNOME Ubuntu splash screens for those who find them aesthetic.

Large and small for Gutsy Gibbon and Hardy Heron.

Should anyone wish to have the logo for Feisty Fawn, Edgy Eft, Dapper Drake, Breezy Badger, Hoary Hedgehog or Warty Warthog, I'd be pleased to comply if you would PM me. Likewise for the modified SVG.