PDA

View Full Version : How cool would this be?

deadowl
April 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
What if phone books listed IP addresses instead of phone numbers?

sujoy
April 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
why would you call it a phone book then ?

fatality_uk
April 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
You'd never be able to phone most people. IP addresses are taken from a pool from the ISP and usually change each time you start/restart your router. You have to specify pay for a fixed IP address.

deadowl
April 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Yea, but in the future, everyone's phone number has been replaced with an IP address.

retrow
April 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
It would still be called a phonebook. Think about it. The term 'hang-up' comes from early 20th century when you had to hand crank a phone and then use a separate ear piece and a microphone. But the term has survived even in VoIP programs like Skype, MSN, etc. where you click on the hang-up button.

fatality_uk
April 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yea, but in the future, everyone's phone number has been replaced with an IP address.

Cool, if it's the future I want a flying car as well :)
It's unlikely to happen that way. Futurologists are currently talking about ID based telecoms. That is, you have an identity that you can use either with a mobile/cell phone, landline, internet etc. This will lead to people being connected whenever they want to be. A static IP wont cover this.

klange
April 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
You'd never be able to phone most people. IP addresses are taken from a pool from the ISP and usually change each time you start/restart your router. You have to specify pay for a fixed IP address.
You don't always need to pay extra. Quite a few ISPs will give you a static IP standard. My current ISP (RR) and my old ISP (Adelphia Cable), both provide static IPs standard. I hope AT&T does as I run a server that's usually referenced by IP directly and I'm getting AT&T cable/internet service soon...

It really wouldn't serve much purpose, regardless, though...

Blue Heron
April 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
What if phone books listed IP addresses instead of phone numbers?

actually there is such a thing, called DNS Server

Bruce M.
April 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Can I pick my own?

I would like: