PDA

View Full Version : Popular Mechanics and 'mac vs. pc'

BetterSense
April 11th, 2008, 05:22 AM
PM had a segment about it this time. No mention of linux. I send them this.

The Mac vs. PC article left me thinking that readers would benefit from at least a mention of GNU/Linux. Modern desktop Linux distributions have made great advances in recent years. The desktop environments are intuitive and slick, installation is easy, and innovations like live CDs and Wubi let users try without installing. Contemporary Linux distributions such as Ubuntu are very secure and stable, generally run well on older hardware, and they are completely free, both in the financial sense and in the sense that the user maintains complete control of his computer and data, with no pesky license agreements or privacy concerns. It would have been interesting to see
a head-to-head comparison with Ubuntu, for example, running on a similar machine.

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2008, 05:24 AM
It'd be nice, but I really believe that it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle for everyone to jump on the Linux bandwagon since there's less money in it. Won't be selling a lot of ad-space for Ubuntu, for example. The business-end distros, sure.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I would like to see a less cheesy and more fact based article on ubuntu vs windows vista vs mac. Also rather than what each os can or cannot do more what they can do and who does it better. They will not write an article like that because who do you think would win it. :)