PDA

View Full Version : Typewriter Emulation Sounds - Q10 Like

baiguai
April 11th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I just tried Q10 on my work machine (windohs) - and for some reason I love the typewriter sounds. Is there any way to mimic this in Ubuntu (preferably in a way I can actually shut it off too heh) - or a minimal text editor (that can handle large files) that has such 'emulation'?

Thanks!

aaaantoine
April 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Does it make different sounds when you press and release a key?

baiguai
April 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
No - it is like a typewriter where the sound occurs when you press the key - release didn't make any sound that I noticed - I only played with it briefly.

Thanks!

anatolica
December 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
That would be really nice if I could have typewriter sounds for keystrokes a la Q10

There is another thread but already closed I'm afraid:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=158426&highlight=typewriter+sounds

Is there any way to do this? Any way to assign sounds to keystrokes?

baiguai
December 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
The trouble is, it would be good to only get the typewriter sounds in a select few applications. I wouldn't want it all the time - just in a given editor etc. But since I now use Vim exclusively I guess - for me - the idea is kind of a moot point.

anatolica
December 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I've found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=919232&highlight=keystroke+sounds

but I think it's not a good idea running such application under wine; there should be a native application... surprising though it seems, as I couldn't find any.

And I use LyX; but the idea is similar to using vim editor or Q10: full screen edit mode and nice, clickety clicks for an odd feeling of achievement:p

Brunellus
December 4th, 2008, 01:09 AM
why not go whole hog and buy an IBM buckling-spring keyboard?

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
On the other hand, you could just buy one of these (http://www.daskeyboard.com/) keyboards. Then you get a nice clackety sound and significantly higher usage cycle counts.

anatolica
December 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
well I'd love to have one of those, but impossible at my eternal and never-ending financial crises:) same goes for IBM keyboards, plus they are difficult to find here... so still searching for some software solutions for my cheap, sticky keyboard, but thanks anyway:)

baiguai
December 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yes! the DasKeyboard is pwn - but bit spendy for me. And it would be good to have the typewriter sound only when I want it (e.g.: using a specific text editor). But oh well, perhaps in time some bored developer out there will put somethin out.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Click-clack cli-clackity-clack clack clackity click clack clack ca-clickity click clack - KA-CHING!
Clack clickity clack clack click clickity clack click clack click-clack clack click - KA-CHING!
Click-clack cli-clackity-clack clack clackity click clack clack ca-clickity click clack - KA-CHING!
Clack clickity clack clack click clickity clack click clack click-clack clack click - KA-CHING!

anatolica
December 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
point well-gotten:) I still wonder whethe there might be some keyboard tweaks in ubuntu, or linux in general to assign a sound scheme.. maybe then some generous users may record the sounds from their 'das' keyboards (how german it is:)) or IBM, or that of just an old, plain typewriter (I also don't mean bells and whistles, I'd be fit for a 'click - KA-CHING!' double actually) and so, one more irrelevant obsession would be fulfilled, at leas for me, I suppose :)

would it be possible to find some tweaks to assign sounds to keyboard?

chucky chuckaluck
December 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
i'm holding out for 'leroy anderson' mode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ySmnxy29Q

anatolica
December 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
in the end of my futile searches for a darn typewriter sound for my keyboard, that's what I'm going to look like, I suppose...

elmago79
January 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm on the same search as you are. I managed to find Textroom (http://code.google.com/p/textroom/downloads/list), which is very Q10-like (or so I've heard) including the typewriter sounds.

However, I would love to have those sounds in every application. I used Home Typist in Windows and the typewriter sounds are the only thing I really miss :( [The apps I need to file taxes work only on Windows, but I don't miss those.]

anatolica
February 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Thank you so much for recommending TextRoom, it has some typewriter sounds, and seems to work well!!! At least when writing..

I am still searching some application that would assign sounds to whatever application, and post here if I find it but for now TextRoom seems nice..

Thanks a lot again:)

anatolica
February 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Update after a year or so - still couldn't find an overall program that could make keystrokes sound like typewriter (or whatever :) )
(thanks god there is textroom, at least)

oh, well, how difficult could it be for a programmer to code a bloody typewriter effect for a computer keyboard :P wish I knew some coding...

legion1978
October 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Update after a year or so - still couldn't find an overall program that could make keystrokes sound like typewriter (or whatever :) )
(thanks god there is textroom, at least)

oh, well, how difficult could it be for a programmer to code a bloody typewriter effect for a computer keyboard :P wish I knew some coding...

ok im yet another fan of these sounds. it helps to be sure if u typed correctly, which is very useful for typing-impared-dopes like myself. Every now and then i also search around for it, but apparently no coder shares our pov on this, hehehe..

so maybe posting this in Ubuntu brainstorm site?

In windows i use clickey by Steve Gibson (http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm) and i think ill email the guy to ask if hed be willing to port this to linux (i believe he codes in assembler,, or "coded" cause the site is very outdated) . we will see ;)

i think everything is possible in linux so.. lets not lose hope, lets start a war, die trying or FFS learn how to code python!!! XXXXDDD

regards..

henriquemaia
November 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm also looking for this. I love the idea of having an audio feedback of what I have typed.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

sffvba[e0rt
November 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Old thread closed.