PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Slashdoted......

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Well if you have noticed the slow upgrade speed if you are trying to do an upgrade on your system. It could be because this morning. The release was reported on slashdot.... ;) This is good for the distro, but bad if you are trying to download 200+ packages... :D

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/10/13/124243.shtml?tid=106

magomago
October 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Well if you have noticed the slow upgrade speed if you are trying to do an upgrade on your system. It could be because this morning. The release was reported on slashdot.... ;) This is good for the distro, but bad if you are trying to download 200+ packages... :D

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/10/13/124243.shtml?tid=106
In the shortrun, being slashdotted destroys a site's bandwith, but I think the long term effects are generally worth it ;)
Sacrifice now to gain later~

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 05:10 PM
In the shortrun, being slashdotted destroys a site's bandwith, but I think the long term effects are generally worth it ;)
Sacrifice now to gain later~
exactley :)

jasongrieves
October 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah I had 2 packages to download it took like 10 minutes :)

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah I had 2 packages to download it took like 10 minutes :)

I am on 11 of 58 with 1 h and 20 min left. Going at 40k normaly I get 150- 200.

gmc
October 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
...and it's going to get worse... the story is on www.digg.com

G.

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
...and it's going to get worse... the story is on www.digg.com

G.

I hope the servers can hold up. We need to spread the word for people to use bittorent if they can... I have my ISO seedding at home right now. Also we need to tell people if they have the bandwith to spair to seed the ISO. :D

matthew
October 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
...and it's going to get worse... the story is on www.digg.com (http://www.digg.com)

G.
I agree with the earlier posters...bummer for the moment, but great for the long run.

GIBson3
October 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I'll Seed the ISO (when I get home) heh assuming I can actually get it downloaded ;)

I'm a Debain convert been watching Ubuntu for a few months and and decided to give the PR a run... it still feels like Debian, but somehow a tad more friendly ;)

I noticed the /. post this morning, I had totally forgotten about today being the 13th before I left the house this morning >.< I really hope it helps get more people over to Ubuntu, it's a nice distro.

Oh well Synaptic is Grinding it's way along here at work, I'll go Code something for now

~GIBson3 :D

magomago
October 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I hope the servers can hold up. We need to spread the word for people to use bittorent if they can... I have my ISO seedding at home right now. Also we need to tell people if they have the bandwith to spair to seed the ISO. :D
I guess i'll boot up back into windows for the first time in a looong time...so i can torrent Breezy for ya guys ;) Ironically enough, only bitcomet works at my campus because somehow the program doesn't get sent to the lowest priority by the packetshaper

hehe...using windows to spread linux ;)

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Oh well Synaptic is Grinding it's way along here at work, I'll go Code something for now

Im studying Linear sorting and Heap sorting for my algoritums class while Synaptic Grinds away.:D Test at 4pm :(

GIBson3
October 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Im studying Linear sorting and Heap sorting for my algoritums class while Synaptic Grinds away.:D Test at 4pm :(

I'm working on a backend to dump vehicle information into a database, I think you've got the better deal...

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I'm working on a backend to dump vehicle information into a database, I think you've got the better deal...

Off Topic: PHP? I just developed an inventory system for keeping track of hardware at my school. :D

skirkpatrick
October 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I'm doing functional testing on a video poker kiosk. It doesn't take long to get REALLY bored with it.

I'm seeding the ISO but it doesn't help the repositories :(

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I'm doing functional testing on a video poker kiosk. It doesn't take long to get REALLY bored with it.

I'm seeding the ISO but it doesn't help the repositories :(

If the ISO and repositories are sharing the same bandwith it may help them a little. But there is no stoping the flood... We need to just ride it out, and try to help in ways like seeding. ;)

Mr_J_
October 13th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Dunno if any knows, but Ubuntu Breezy Badger has also been mentioned in www.kirupa.com which has little to no connection to the linux or open world.
It's mainly a Flash related site, so the infection is spreading nicely!

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Dunno if any knows, but Ubuntu Breezy Badger has also been mentioned in www.kirupa.com which has little to no connection to the linux or open world.
It's mainly a Flash related site, so the infection is spreading nicely!

Its also on distrowatch.com http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02965#0 Thank god they mainly linked the torrents.

chadwick359
October 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Im studying Linear sorting and Heap sorting for my algoritums class while Synaptic Grinds away. Test at 4pm

I'm frantically trying to get JRE 1.5 to run on breezy for my coding midterm at 3, and synaptic isn't helping.

qalimas
October 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Wow... the bandwidth must seriously be thin, it won't even download the package listings, it keeps trying to connect O_O

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Wow... the bandwidth must seriously be thin, it won't even download the package listings, it keeps trying to connect O_O

Its bad... We need some repository mirrors for breezy. Does any one know if there are any up?

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Can't you seed the DVD? Doesn't it have most of what you need repository wise?

Oh, and it wasnt me what /. ed!!! I wanted to, but didn't.

bhursey
October 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Can't you seed the DVD? Doesn't it have most of what you need repository wise?

Oh, and it wasnt me what /. ed!!! I wanted to, but didn't.

From what I understaned the DVD is just the Live cd and the Install cd in one. I may be mistaken though..

GIBson3
October 13th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Off Topic: PHP? I just developed an inventory system for keeping track of hardware at my school. :D

Nope "Enterprise level java" is the syntax of the day. That's all I can say unfortunately NDA got my tongue ;)

UbuWu
October 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM
From what I understaned the DVD is just the Live cd and the Install cd in one. I may be mistaken though..

Plus all of main (including kde etc.)

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Get your friends together, and let's all go browse the topic http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/13/124243&tid=106 at the same time...

:)

iwan-nl
October 13th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I'm frantically trying to get JRE 1.5 to run on breezy for my coding midterm at 3, and synaptic isn't helping.
Java is no longer in the repositories, but you can download JRE 5.0 Linux (self-extracting file) from java.com.

xequence
October 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I think it is so cool one website, such as slashdot, has so much power :P

I was downloading x devs from the repos and it was going at a couple hundred bytes per second. 8248 BPS right now... It did get up to 14 KBPS.

Oh, and JRE is in the add programs thing in breezy.

poofyhairguy
October 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Every time Slashdot has an Ubuntu story on the frontpage I get mod points. I almost never get mod points otherwise.

Its like a slashdot higher up knows I want them only on that day. Because I use them. This time I modded up a post about the automatix project.

Please help test it!

buster
October 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I used the bit torrent source listed in Distrowatch. Used Azureus. Had the i386 install iso in just over an hour. Fastest I've ever had with bit torrent. There were over 1000 in the swarm! So it's quick. Apparently you can now use the disc and Synaptic to upgrade:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyUpgradeNotes

Goober
October 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
from Digg:

"Plese use the torrents to help the server."

Ya, I noticed this site seemed to take longer then normal to load, although I guess its not totally the same as the servers. Only 2 updates today, not hundreds as in the past week . . .

bjweeks
October 14th, 2005, 12:31 AM
from Digg:

"Plese use the torrents to help the server."

Ya, I noticed this site seemed to take longer then normal to load, although I guess its not totally the same as the servers. Only 2 updates today, not hundreds as in the past week . . .
I tried my best not to kill the server. :) (I posted it on digg.;) )

bhursey
October 14th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I tried my best not to kill the server. :) (I posted it on digg.;) )

Nice, Thanks ;)