PDA

View Full Version : My new work computer...Ubuntu!

Jeff Johnston
April 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM
This week I got a new computer. To my surprise my manager said to go ahead and install whatever I wanted. I, of course, said I wanted Ubuntu. Turns out that was actually what he meant :). So, after using a Linux desktop for the last 7 years at home I am now able to use Linux at work as well!

I took a little bit of a chance because I installed Hardy. So far everything is working great! It recognized all of my hardware and found the network flawlessly. As a web developer this is ideal as most of my programs were either Linux ports, or Java apps anyway.

Jeff Johnston
(Minneapolis, MN)

Istonian
April 11th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Awesome! I use linux at school and got a few people intrigued. Two full converts so far.

figure9
April 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Buy a lottery ticket immediately. This kind of good luck does not last forever! Seriously that is some good news. I know I'm jealous.

days_of_ruin
April 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Awesome!

sorta off topic but do 350+ people join UF everyday?

Presto123
April 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
This week I got a new computer. To my surprise my manager said to go ahead and install whatever I wanted. I, of course, said I wanted Ubuntu. Turns out that was actually what he meant :). So, after using a Linux desktop for the last 7 years at home I am now able to use Linux at work as well!

I took a little bit of a chance because I installed Hardy. So far everything is working great! It recognized all of my hardware and found the network flawlessly. As a web developer this is ideal as most of my programs were either Linux ports, or Java apps anyway.

Jeff Johnston
(Minneapolis, MN)

*Sigh* Lucky, lucky. I agree with the poster above...BUY A LOTTERY TICKET NOW! lol

jcwmoore
April 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM
*Sigh* Lucky, lucky. I agree with the poster above...BUY A LOTTERY TICKET NOW! lol

+1, lucky....

elmer_42
April 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Your manager is officially awesome. Next step? Get him to use it.

Twitch6000
April 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM

I agree I am half Irish and I am still not that lucky....

tact
April 11th, 2008, 04:26 AM
The company I work for (small multinational operation) is pretty much all microsoft based clients and servers. I am based in KL office and HO is in NZ.

One day after (yet another) disastrous XP operating system crash on my office issued laptop I tried to get access to the data on the HDD using a few different windows tools (boot disk, rescue disk, even BartPE boot disk and several rescue tools) and all of them reported the drive as "unpartitioned space".

I booted ubuntu liveCD and could mount the NTFS partition AND connect to the corporate network. So I was not only able to recover all my data (copying directly to corporate windows file server using samba etc) I was able to access corporate mail server and work on spreadsheets and word documents while the recovery was happening. hehehe. Nice!

Then...all data safe... decision time:
- format the drive, reinstall XP, locate and install all hardware drivers (video, chipset, bluetooth, network, etc etc), reinstall corporate AV, reinstall Office, and more.... OR.....
- double click the "install to HDD" icon on the running ubuntu liveCD.

Given that the ubuntu option would be so much simpler and have me working much faster....(in fact could KEEP working while ubuntu installed to HDD)... II called the head office IT department in NZ and asked permission to run linux instead of the corporately sanctioned windows platform.

They agreed. Woohoo! Colour me "happy!" The only condition was "you can use it, but will have to support yourself as we have no one familiar with linux to offer you company support". No problem! hehehe

That was over a year ago and Edgy (v6.04). Now i am running hardy beta on the same machine and happier than ever. :)

pt_lam
April 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Very nice!
I think you should never leave your company, 'cause you won't find another again. :)

anuban
April 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
It looks like you are the only one person your company believes. Whatever you say, your company agrees. Are you somehow the partner/owner of the company. I have never seen such a company in my life and even don't expect to see.
That will be like all dream to me.

Enjoy this golden time if you are not the owner or the only decision maker in the company as far as IT related stuff goes.

robelliott2125
April 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
It looks like you are the only one person your company believes. Whatever you say, your company agrees. Are you somehow the partner/owner of the company. I have never seen such a company in my life and even don't expect to see.
That will be like all dream to me.

Enjoy this golden time if you are not the owner or the only decision maker in the company as far as IT related stuff goes.

I agree, two Tech jobs, and none of them have accepted anything other than the box standard, Whinedoze...

Even when a friend and I wrote one of the companies complete Intranet, We weren't allowed to use our Macs. Well, we could, but we have to support ourselves again...

Never work for a manufacturer which only supports their stuffs... Makes things awkward.

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
That was over a year ago and Edgy (v6.04). Now i am running hardy beta on the same machine and happier than ever. :)
Edgy was 6.10. Sorry to be picky, but it was my favorite release and I miss it :-({|=

Jammin80503
April 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
That is really cool. I've been working to get a linux computer at school so people can try it, but no luck so far.

sorta off topic but do 350+ people join UF everyday?
I think that with hardy, lots of users that were stagnant are returning to the forums. I know I'm guilty of it.