PDA

View Full Version : I hate buying RAM on ebay...

Pogeymanz
April 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
It's apparently pretty difficult to find people who know the difference between PC133 and PC100...

I specifically search for "168-pin PC133 256MB" ram on ebay. I have now purchased two "PC133" sticks that were actually PC100... Ugh. I know it's still my fault for not googling the model numbers, but I didn't know people were so bad at life!

So out of three sticks, only one was what I wanted. And all three specifically said pc133 in the description. Awesome.

</rant>

notwen
April 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ebay is awesome, I once won a vintage GI Joe figure and got a barbie in the mail. It boggles the mind. *nod*

aeiah
April 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
it may be that they're stupid, or it may be that they just know pc133 sells better and they're scamming you. contact them and find out which it is :p

ebay is not the kind of place to look for ram. ive heard a lot of stories of intentionally mislabelled ram (ie 512mb sticks labelled as 1024 etc)

Blue Heron
April 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
i hate ebay

POW R TOC H
April 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Why not simply go to a computer store?
PS : Nice, we have the same avatar :D

LaRoza
April 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Amazon is good for RAM. They are reliable also, and accept returns easily.

intense.ego
April 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM
in the states, I can't see why anyone would buy ram from ebay. its as cheap as chips on newegg. unless, the ram is no longer sold in stores

john_spiral
April 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
FYI

an old CD case is a good way to package 2nd hand RAM.

no probs with eBay RAM.

John

Tundro Walker
April 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
www.craigslist.com
(http://ubuntuforums.org/www.craigslist.com)
Go to your town's section, then hop into the "computers" sale section. There's usually somebody selling old RAM. Heck, there's usually somebody selling an old p2/p3 comp for like $40 that you can buy and scrounge the RAM from that.

Before doing that, though, check out the "free" sale section. You might get lucky with someone just giving away their old p2 / p3, and you can pick it up and scrounge the RAM from it.

Some folks in the "older computer" thread have also suggested going to Goodwill or Salvation Army. They sometimes carry older comps you guy real cheap and scrounge for parts. I personally haven't ever seen anything computer related at Goodwill other than old, crappy CRT monitors and printers. But, you never know.

I personally wouldn't buy RAM from someone who has to ship it to me, because who knows what kind of damage is going to happen to it en-route, and, like you pointed out, you get to wait 5 days just to find out it's the wrong kind.

EDIT:

I was just thinking, I have some old RAM sitting around, new in the plastic boxes that I'm never going to use, and was about to offer it to you for free. But, it's PC100 128mb. So, uh, I guess that doesn't help. hehe.

elmer_42
April 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I would hate to be you right now, but I have one question, why are you buying RAM from eBay? Are you in the USA? Because if you are you can use Newegg for your RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052407863&name=PC+133).

teet
April 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I would hate to be you right now, but I have one question, why are you buying RAM from eBay? Are you in the USA? Because if you are you can use Newegg for your RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052407863&name=PC+133).

For PC133 ram at least, I estimate that you can get it on ebay for about half the cost of newegg. Of course, you're never sure what you're getting on ebay.

I really like newegg, but they don't seem to be as competitive on their pricing recently. For a while, they seemed to almost always have the best price.

-teet