PDA

View Full Version : Digsby

sefs
April 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hey all,

Are any of you dual booters using/testing digsby that new IM.

It slices, it dices ... ect...

Only available on Windows at the moment.

But my question is this, with all of this integration of messaging (IM, email, social networking) could this open a pandora's box of exploits, seeing that there is so much going on in this one application.

I like the idea of everything in one place like that, but am fearful that it can become a notable vector for attack given all that integration going on.

sideaway
April 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Only read about it. looks nice. wondering when it'll be released for Linux? The private beta's out soon is it not?

elmer_42
April 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I want to keep my email and IM seperate, due to reasons stated above and personal preference. Pidgin + Evolution is all I need.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hey all,

Are any of you dual booters using/testing digsby that new IM.

It slices, it dices ... ect...

Only available on Windows at the moment.

But my question is this, with all of this integration of messaging (IM, email, social networking) could this open a pandora's box of exploits, seeing that there is so much going on in this one application.

I like the idea of everything in one place like that, but am fearful that it can become a notable vector for attack given all that integration going on.

i am, and it's fantastic. hopefully they'll port over to *nix soon. i like pidgeon alot, but would like an alternative and the alternatives for *nix pretty much suck.

init1
April 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I saw ads for this on newspaper stands in Chicago.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 03:39 AM
wow, that's interesting. i don't think i've ever seen an IM client in a magazine ad much less a newspaper.

Glaxed
April 28th, 2008, 03:48 AM
It's written in Python, so idk why it cant work on Linux.
Plus the windows installer is >= 65 MB compared to Pidgin (11 MB) - so I'm not going to try it.
And it's closed source... I wouldn't feel comfortable with that on Linux anyway.
+1 for Pidgin/Thunderbird/Firefox (For Facebook etc)

Mr. Picklesworth
April 28th, 2008, 04:30 AM
That focus on integrating the services sounds a bit like Empathy (http://live.gnome.org/Empathy), except without the awesome GNOME integration.

Some neat stuff is happening on that front to integrate instant messaging services as if one, such that people simply talk with each other magically - accounts and that bother completely abstracted. Similar to Pidgin (thankfully, telepathy-haze bridges Purple and Telepathy, the system powering Empathy), but Telepathy is going a step further by trying to make that useful for something beyond aesthetics.
For example, a recent addition lets applications use Telepathy for raw data transfer. Anyone who has struggled with setting up online games via instant messaging can probably see the power of that idea! Instead of setting up a whole other communication, it all can happen through the same IM system. I, for one, hope that this gets seen across the GNOME desktop, because it would be plain awesome. From zero to ubiquitous network integration in a handful of release cycles :)

http://blogs.gnome.org/xclaesse/2008/04/21/announce-empathy-0231/

abhiroopb
June 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763822&page=8&highlight=pidgin+facebook

Dr Dray 90
December 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Digsby works nearly perfectly with the new WINE 1.1.10 beta on Ubuntu 8.10 when WINE is set to run Digsby like Windows XP. Other than some very minor glitches, the program seems to run smoothly.

Polygon
December 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
who cares?

*its closed source and offers no extra features then pidgin besides email notifications, which pidgin already does partially.

*Myspace IM is already implemented,

* you can download a facebook plugin that even has notifications.

* have never even heard of linked in, and i could of sworn there was a twitter plugin for pidgin?

* pidgin supports a lot more protocols, even though not many people use them.

* digsby also requires you to have and sign in to their website in order to use the program, storing your contacts and passwords

* no sign of a mac/linux port any time soon.

* the windows installer tries to install a bunch of spyware / browser addons

Also, on the mac side, adium kicks the crap out of pidgin and digsby.

*shrugs*, its the users choice, but i see plenty of reasons not to use digsby. Pidgin is my friend =)

also, how the heck did they manage to make a python program closed source?

EDIT: read on their forums just now:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/11/24/new-digsby-installer-loaded-with-bloat-and-adverts

If you think this is bad, you should check out their new 'help digsby do research' option that's buried in their menu structure and ENABLED BY DEFAULT. This allows your computer to join a computational botnet that does commercial work that the Digsby team gets paid for (think folding@home for money). Notice your laptop fan whirring away unexpectedly? You're probably doing protein analysis for some drug company. Totally shady. I'm dropping Digsby like a hot potato, I've lost all trust in the developers if they somehow think this is 'okay'.

yeah, this is a great program.

Bölvağur
December 10th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Polygon

you rock :KS :guitar:

but if you havent heard about http://www.linkedin.com/ I should let you know it is (from what I have seen of it) myspace for the high tech business industry. Like when I registered it asked me what University I graduated from, what year I studied. Then it went on asking if I was here looking for job, trying to hunt down new staff, looking for business deals about innovation.. etc.

Polygon
December 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
ah, ok. But even with that, if that gets popular enough, im sure someone will create a plugin for it. There is no reason to use some spyware infested windows program......

Quid
July 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Polygon - Excellent points! I was about to go through the wine route - but will stay with Pidgen and look for thos pluggins!

I hate spyware and surreptitious use of my equipment.

ssdt
September 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Is there any chance at Digsby coming to linux? If not can the developers of Canonical develop something such this, please?

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
* the windows installer tries to install a bunch of spyware / browser addons

yeah if you click through like a moron. nothing new with installers.

next.

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Is there any chance at Digsby coming to linux? If not can the developers of Canonical develop something such this, please?

look at their homepage. answer is yes to your first question.

sudoer541
September 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
does it support video and audio chat for msn?

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I love Digsby :)

I do actually prefer it to Pidgin for the most part, although I felt Kopete has a more polished look due to Qt4, so maybe that will surpass it in my eyes at some point :)

I hope it is released for Linux soon.

johnlvs2run
September 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
+++++ for Polygon.

There is every reason to not use a program that has a click through for such garbage.