PDA

View Full Version : Wep & Wap?

ragadanga63
April 10th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Which encryption works well with Ubuntu, WAP or WEP? I read in some other forum that there are problems with WAP on Ubuntu. Is this true?

KCormier
April 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
wap stands for wireless access point.
wep encryption is terrible. lol. With a few simple programs it takes a matter of minutes to crack if you know how to use the programs.
wpa is much stronger encryption. There are two types, tkip and aes. aes is stronger. As for how it works with linux, I couldn't tell you. I'm stuck on web myself (support older hardware)

-Kevin

dodimar
April 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM
wpa and wep.

wep is not secure anymore (can easily be hacked)
wpa is secure (but can also be hacked)
as far as which works well with linux, wep runs with no problem, wpa do have some problems, but you can make it work. If you have neighbors that have wireless laptops or devices, try configuring wpa so you won't share your internet and network connection with your neigbor (unless you are a good samaritan who want to share to then what you are paying).

ragadanga63
April 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

daxumaming
April 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
i haven't had any success with WPA on my Kubuntu, so I'm still using WEP. However, due to potential security risks, I hid my SSID and implemented MAC Address filtering to prevent hijacks. Consult your router docs on how to do it, if you're interested, that is.

dodimar
April 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
BIG QUESTION!!!

Will this wireless network cards/WPA problem be solved with the next release of Ubuntu (8.04)????

daxumaming
April 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM
i don;t think so, we need to contact kernel hackers for this since they're the ones making this happen.