PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Groundhog

Eclipse.
April 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Will it ever exist?

I heard plans about it a while ago but since then I haven't heard anything.

Anybody got any info?

Thanks

olskar
April 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Isnt that just a name for the current development version, i.e now Hardy?

Rallg
April 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Whether or not "Grumpy Groundhog" was a long-ago internal name for this release, I do not know. However, you may have noticed that Ubuntu packages begin with DD (Dapper Drake), EE (Edgy Eft), FF (Feisy Fawn), GG (Gutsy Gibbon), and now HH (Hardy Heron). More likely than not, the next release will be II (but probably not Irritating Insect).

Other distro use chartoon characters, or names of girlfriends, or whatever. I imagine that MS and Apple hired consulting firms that conduct focus groups at several million dollar fees.

Therion
April 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I can't believe they passed up the chance to call it "Hungry Hippo".

Next up: Inscrutable Impala.

tamoneya
April 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
The next release name was already announced: Intrepid Ibex. They have posted a release schedule here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule

Gina
April 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Anyway, we've had the GG! It was quite a good runner - but I think it's successor will be faster and steadier :)

Rallg
April 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Presumably the animals (or reasonable equivalents) are found in South Africa? That suggests J. Jackal, but K. Koala or Kangaroo would not work.

GeekGirl1
April 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Kudu would work. Taxonomy: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Tragelaphus_strepsiceros.html

Eclipse.
April 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM
No, grumpy groundhog was the name given for a Debian unstable like version of ubuntu, which would have be basically bleeding edge.

More info here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BOFs/GrumpyGroundhog

Grumpy Groundhog was orginally going to be the first version of ubuntu but grumpy didn't really give the idea the devs were wanting.

wyth
April 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I can't believe they passed up the chance to call it "Hungry Hippo".

Yeah, but it makes it sound like the system will eat every last resource, make a lot of noise, and then you'll just leave it in the closet.

Mindless Automata
April 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, but it makes it sound like the system will eat every last resource, make a lot of noise, and then you'll just leave it in the closet.

In other words, Windows Vista.

p_quarles
April 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Moved to Recurring Discussions along with the dozens of other "name the future release" threads.

The 8.10 release codename is Intrepid Ibex, by the way.

EDIT: My mistake -- this isn't a recurring discussion. Thanks to Eclipse and bruce89 for setting me straight. :D Moved to Community Cafe, since this project isn't in active development.

bruce89
April 10th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Grumpy Groundhog was going to be a bit like Debian Unstable, it was never to actually be released, and the code it ran was to be from version control.

The GNOME devkit is somewhat similar.