PDA

View Full Version : gOS Space

notwen
April 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2470629555.html

"To me, gOS Space can be the face of Linux for the MySpace generation," Jim Zemlin, president of the Linux Foundation, said in a statement.

Thoughts? LOL

amazingtaters
April 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Lulz. They could only do this 4 da lulz. I hope no one takes MySpace that seriously that they need a myspace brand computer. That would make me a sad panda. Now, a computer shaped like the ubuntu logo.... that'd be too legit to quit.

TeraDyne
April 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Lulz. They could only do this 4 da lulz. I hope no one takes MySpace that seriously that they need a myspace brand computer. That would make me a sad panda. Now, a computer shaped like the ubuntu logo.... that'd be too legit to quit.

Oh my... I thought I was finally away from the MySpace and chatspeak.

Meh, it's probably going to be a flop. I just hope they release the OS on a LiveCD so I can run it in a VM and laugh.

fela
April 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
what is the world coming to :confused: ](*,)

fela
April 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Oh my... I thought I was finally away from the MySpace and chatspeak.

Meh, it's probably going to be a flop. I just hope they release the OS on a LiveCD so I can run it in a VM and laugh.

gOS? there IS a LiveCD, it's pretty good, and i decided to install it in a VM. it's actually based upon ubuntu (at least that's what i gathered by the ubuntu icon on the installer, and basically everything smacking of ubuntu generally...the best bit of gOS (or one pretty cool thing anyway) is the iBar...imagine, a "a la OS X" dock that does NOT need hardware acceleration...very cool ;)

So before you go and prejudice some OS (or any software), why don't you try it out first?

But i do agree with you in that the MySpace comp will be a flop. gOS is good though.

jolx
April 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Lulz. They could only do this 4 da lulz. I hope no one takes MySpace that seriously that they need a myspace brand computer. That would make me a sad panda.

yeah that wud make me a sad panda to (south park rocks :guitar:)

TeraDyne
April 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
gOS? there IS a LiveCD, it's pretty good, and i decided to install it in a VM. it's actually based upon ubuntu (at least that's what i gathered by the ubuntu icon on the installer, and basically everything smacking of ubuntu generally...the best bit of gOS (or one pretty cool thing anyway) is the iBar...imagine, a "a la OS X" dock that does NOT need hardware acceleration...very cool ;)

So before you go and prejudice some OS (or any software), why don't you try it out first?

But i do agree with you in that the MySpace comp will be a flop. gOS is good though.

I've tried gOS. I still have the LiveCD in my case. I really didn't like it. I may try the latest version, though.

Oddly enough, the "dock" is something that I didn't really like. Mainly because it's filled with nothing but links to sites.

Again, I'll give it another try, but I really didn't like it the first time.

Edit: AH, had I looked, they changed the gOS distro itself into gOS Space. I'm downloading it now, and getting a VM ready to try it.

fela
April 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've tried gOS. I still have the LiveCD in my case. I really didn't like it. I may try the latest version, though.

Oddly enough, the "dock" is something that I didn't really like. Mainly because it's filled with nothing but links to sites.

Again, I'll give it another try, but I really didn't like it the first time.

i haven't seen gOS 1, just 2beta. And i wasn't saying whats ]in the dock is good, i meant that the actual design of the dock (the 'program') is good. It rocks :guitar:

Calash
April 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
- Respect for gOS

I do like what they have so far, with the menu bar and simplified interface. Still felt it needed work to really appeal to mainstream end-users.

Now....Blech...not a MySpace fan at all.

fela
April 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
the only thing about gOS that really bothers me is no xterm menu entry - which is really annoying.

madjr
April 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
yay they're alive

http://dev.thinkgos.com/_images/24.jpg

very nice offering this time :)

Note: this was made for their new dualcore MyMiniPC and not your 10 year old one.

so don't complain if it goes slow for u.

TeraDyne
April 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Grrr... The ISO didn't pass the CD check. Gotta redownload. I hope they get the torrent up soon.

DeadSuperHero
April 9th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Interesting how it oddly resembles Mac OSX...
On the other hand, showing Linux with full Myspace capabilities to 100,000,000 Myspace users is BOUND to get at least some adoption.

camdecoster
April 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM
At least the background is cool. I think I will throw it (the background) on my laptop.

Mateo
April 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
it boggles my mind that gOS has built an empire essentially by adding links to popular websites. Why do people think shortcuts are a revolution in technology?

TeraDyne
April 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
*sigh*

I give up. I can't get a desktop on my laptop (eMachines M2352), my desktop (Dellbuntu 530) or a VM (Virtualbox). It's not like they're incapable of runnng anything (both machines are capable of running compiz-fusion), and the iso passed the checksum, so it's not that.

I dunno why, but it just won't run on anything I have.

HansKisaragi
April 10th, 2008, 02:29 AM
*sigh* epic fail, they even partly copied the website .](*,)