PDA

View Full Version : iTV - Do you have, intend to get, or don't care?

arman.haghi
April 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
With Interactive Television (aka iTV) on the verge of becoming widespread across the developed world, it is important to think about the principles of Freedom (ala Stallman) with regards to this emerging technology.

MythTV (and Mythbuntu etc) are examples of the 'Free' community engaging with the medium, but can we compete with commercial solutions and do we care?

This poll relates to my studies in the matter at a Masters level and I'd been keen to learn about usage numbers and your views on the matter.

Thank you,

Arman Haghi
Long time Ubuntu user (finally joined forums!)

-- IMPORTANT EDIT --

WHAT IS iTV?

In this posting, when I use the term 'iTV' I'm referring to "Interactive Television" in general, not any venture or technology or commercial product in particular, but the whole technology.

There is a good definition, as follows, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_television

Interactive television represents a continuum from low interactivity (TV on/off, volume, changing channels) to moderate interactivity (simple movies on demand without player controls) and high interactivity in which, for example, an audience member affects the program being watched. The most obvious example of this would be any kind of real-time voting on the screen, in which audience votes create decisions that are reflected in how the show continues.

Thank you again for all the feedback,

Arman Haghi

aeiah
April 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
what is itv? is it appletv?

i dont have much interest in it, but then im not the target market. i get what i want off bit torrent trackers. i find it easier than dealing with DRM formats and more convenient and cheaper than recording them myself

aysiu
April 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Considering I don't even know what iTV is, I voted Have no interest in iTV.

I will say that if MythBuntu is going to compete with anything, it has to be preinstalled on a commercial solution. Most people (even tech savvy people like my wife and me) are not going to research little parts to put together and then troubleshoot problems with setting up MythTV by themselves.

bonzodog
April 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Be careful here; the name "iTV" is actually banned for usage in the UK and Ireland as it's already owned by ITV, who are the UK's main Independent Terrestrial TV channel.

If it's Apple TV you are referring to, then use that. Otherwise, if it's Internet television you are talking about, then please use that name. the name "iTV" will just confuse people in the UK and Ireland.

Thanks.

aysiu
April 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
So do we have any evidence that Apple TV is "on the verge of becoming widespread across the developed world," as the original post asserts?

Calash
April 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I need a definition of ITV. You bring up MythTV, so are you talking about PVR software or something that is deticated to playing internet streams like Apple TV?

mrgnash
April 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
So do we have any evidence that Apple TV is "on the verge of becoming widespread across the developed world," as the original post asserts?

No. People assume that because iTunes has been a success, that iTv will be as well. But there is actually no logical reason why this should be the case.

PartisanEntity
April 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I too thought you meant the ITV broadcaster in the UK and Ireland. I have no idea what Apple TV is.

solitaire
April 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
With iTV on the verge of becoming widespread across the developed world...

A link to an explanation of what "iTV" is would be a great help!!:confused:

As stated above "ITV" is a Terrestrial Broadcast Company in the UK and i'm sure a lot of people do not know what your "iTV" is actually referring too...

I'll vote when i find out what iTV is.... :D:D

gn2
April 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
As a UK resident I'm very familiar with ITV but have never heard of "i" TV.

If it's some Apple offering I have no interest in it whatsoever as I use Sky+ which is excellent.

Ultra Magnus
April 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I get iTV, I;ve always hated it, all they show are crappy reality tv shows and rigged phone in competitions and who watches tv with adverts anyway

arman.haghi
April 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion, I've edited the original post explaining the term "iTV" - meaning "Interactive Television" in general.

Thank you for the feedback and I look forward to more.

Cheers,

Arman.

There is a good definition, as follows, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_television

Interactive television represents a continuum from low interactivity (TV on/off, volume, changing channels) to moderate interactivity (simple movies on demand without player controls) and high interactivity in which, for example, an audience member affects the program being watched. The most obvious example of this would be any kind of real-time voting on the screen, in which audience votes create decisions that are reflected in how the show continues.

aeiah
April 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
well that makes it a little clearer. how exactly does mythtv interact with tv though? there's no interaction at all, no two-way communication. mythtv is a PVR and mediacentre. it will not compete at all. it may incorporate pay on demand services, but this is doubtful since POD always requires DRM. any higher interaction will likely not come to fruition for a long time either since reverse engineering will no doubt be involved (what kind of tv company is gonna allow voting with an opensource protocol? none that i can think of)

solitaire
April 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
In the UK Interactive TV is known as "The Red Button"

Satellite / Cable and Freeview Digital Terrestrial TV have interactive services accessed by press in the Red button on the remote.

Just wondering if MythTV gives you access to these services?

aeiah
April 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
yea, all you need to do is map a button to the 'red button' that your tv card understands.

solitaire
April 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
yea, all you need to do is map a button to the 'red button' that your tv card understands.

Thanx..

All i need now is a Freeview signal :(
Or a better aerial on top of my building.

So i can test it.... :D:D lol

Calash
April 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
MythTV does have some basics for Interactive TV. The Netflix module, MythStream, and the low level stuff like movie recording and playback. Not to the strict standard but in a basic sense it is there.

Interactive TV in the form of Movies on Demand is something I expect to see a lot more of in the future. People like choice, and being able to watch whatever you want, whenever is a bit thing. I do not think it will replace regular broadcasts, more of offset video rentals and such.