PDA

View Full Version : necessary libraries of c,c++,java

haha123
April 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
hello guys ... are all the necessary libraries for c,c++,java got installed with ubuntu?i have libc6.if these libraries are not installed by default somebody tell me where to get them?

themusicwave
April 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know what you consider necessary, it really depends what libraries you need.

I think a package called build essential contains most of the common c/c++ libraries.

For Java I know you need to install the Sun JDK. I forget the exact package name and am not at my Ubuntu box. In Synaptic search for Java. It should be something like Sun-JDK6 or something like that.

ibutho
April 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
For the C/C++ development files, you need to install the build-essential package. As for java, install sun-java6-jdk.

Zugzwang
April 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
If installing programs using the package manager, all the libraries needed for these programs are automatically installed with the programs.

If you want to program your own stuff, then what's necessary depends on what you need. Try "sudo apt-get install build-essential" if you're using C/C++ or "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk" if you want to program Java. These commands will install all the *basic* libraries & tools for compiling your own programs. The other libraries you *might* need (e.g. for GUI) have to be installed separately since the system can't guess what you need.