PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Smartbro Prepaid (Internet Kahit Saan) Will it Work?

rphil2008
April 9th, 2008, 08:02 AM
UPDATE Nov 10, 2008
Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex can now detect smart bro's ZTE MF266
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6129257&postcount=62 (thanks to perbiu)

and the newer modem Alcatel OT-X020 can be configured using this instruction

http://locoteam.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6137731#post6137731

(thanks to clintcan)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello fellow Linux Users,

I am wondering if this new smartbro product would work with ubuntu linux? This is the prepaid version of the palm-sized usb internet modem offered by smart. Link here:

http://smart.com.ph/smartbro/products/broprepaid.htm

I am interested since I have always wanted to connect my ubuntu 7.1 (dual boot with Win XP) desktop pc at home to the internet. Doon sa bgy namin sa bocaue, walang linya ng dsl or broadband cable. wireless smartbro lang pwede. ayoko naman ng contract so this pre-paid wirelss broadband option seems to be the answer. I really wanted to update my ubuntu at home but its almost impossible without internet connection.

PS. (Kwento lang)

I installed edubuntu 7.1 at one of our laptops at the office. I requsted a colleague to bring home the laptop so he can update the Edubuntu OS using his dsl connection. It turned out that he converted his dsl into wifi router since he bought anther computer. Following only barebones handwritten instructions I wrote on paper, my colleague powered on the laptop, logged into edubuntu which instantly picked up the wireless signal! It was my colleagues' first encounter with linux and he was impressed with the speed with which the OS downloaded and installed its updates (187 packages all together) and the laptops' instant wireless connectivity. It helps that this is a Dell with Centrino specs. Medyo luma na pero mahusay pa. Also I have already prepared the laptop for wireless connection beforehand, but even I didnt know what to expect.

After the updates, kitang-kita mo ang bilis ng edubuntu. Iba talaga! I have used this laptop and OS to conduct 4 OpenOffice presentations on a professional capacity successfuly; without any problems whatsoever. Just connect the projector cable and you are good to go. Bilib ako. So I know that ubuntu didnt get the top rank at distrowatch for nothing. This is one reason why I wanted very much to update my ubuntu at home. After trying out several distros, ubunt pa rin ako. Now if only I can update it using this new smartbro product....

loell
April 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
pwede naman siguro ;)

kung yung 3G phone nga na may data cable, pwede. ba't hindi sa ganitong equipment.

not sure, but i think you will be using gnome-ppp or wvdial for this,

tanungin ko nga uli si dax , naiwala ko kasi yung link na ibingay nya sa pagsetup nang 3G :popcorn:

baka may mapulot tayo doon :)

ragadanga63
April 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
1. As per Smartbro website, Linux is still not supported.

2. At P20.00/hour, it's a bit too expensive.

killer_d76
April 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM
hhhmmm for 20 petot per hour pede na?!.. the best part kasi about this is you can carry it anyware.. ok na ok to if you have laptop!.. you have control of your usage like the pre-paid phones, rather than being tied up to a contract that you need to pay this much for month and i okey to if you seldom use internet!.. opinio ko lang po.

dodimar
April 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
It doesn't work with Linux. Nakipag usap na ako sa customer service ng smart regarding this, and hindi nya supported ang linux.

alxjl
April 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm using Globe's 3G HSDPA with the Huawei USB modem on my ubuntu laptop. There are huawei mobile connect debs available for linux. I live near Antipolo and even in remote out of town locations, the speed is amazing. I've been using it to download linux iso's in so short a time.

rphil2008
April 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM
thank you very much for your replies. hindi nga pwede sa ngayon ang plug-in usb modem ng smartbro if your system is linux. ito din sinabi ng smart sa sm marilao. baka daw within a year pa ang support nito. gusto ko mang patulan yung 999 kaya lang ayaw ng misis ko ng contract. ok na kasi kami sa prepaid phones namin... no pressure.

@ alxjl

about the glode 3g hspda.... can you please elaborate on this service? is the rate computed per kb as opposed to smart's time rate? how do you apply for it? pwede be prepaid sa hsdpa? and how do you install the interface software? where do you get it? pasensya na sa pangungulit, hehe.

Thanks again!

Nhatz
April 10th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Waaaazzzzaaaaa! nakakapaginternet ako sa laptop ko using my cellphone.. just plug the USB cable then ayun! nadedetect na ng ubuntu yung phone as a modem. ok yung support ng Linux (Ubuntu) sa Sony Ericsson. hehehe.
(Ubuntu 7.10 + Sony Ericsson K800i Astig! :guitar:)

dodimar
April 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Pero ung modem ng SmartBro ang hindi compatible sa Linux...

Ung Globe HSDPA, hehehe, medyo mahal un.. 2500 monthly, 5gb max download per month, more than 5 gb may charge na.. lock in one year (or 2 years na ata). Dapat yun din kukunin ko (Globe), kaya lang, mahal and daming requirements....

perbiu
April 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ganoon naman palagi hindi supported ang linux. Pero to see is to believe, baka may kakilala kayong gumagamit niyan at maki sak sak kayo?

:guitar:

dodimar
April 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hehehe,, meron bang gumagamit nito... :lolflag:

daxumaming
April 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Im using my Nokia 3230 as my GPRS modem. same rate as the 3G (don't ask what happened to my 3G phone) and I'm pretty much satisfied with it. it's convenient and it's there when you need it. I prefer smart's billing method of P10 per 30mins, unlike globe which charges per KB which will make your wallet cry once you start surfing to bandwidth-heavy sites.

As for the smartbro kit... i don't like it, maybe it's because i'm not used to seeing a modem dangling from my laptop. it does, however, work with Ubuntu and other distros, even though I haven't personally tried it. there were discussions on the ubuntu-users mailing list and PLUG regarding a huewei modem(which I think Smart is using). Either way, if you're having problems with it, just google out some howtos, there's lots of them available out there.

dodimar
April 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ganun, gumagana pala yung Smartbro modem sa Linux. Bakit kaya nung tinanong ko ung customer service ng smart sabi nila hindi gumagana yung modem sa linux and even vista.. sa windows xp lang daw. Pero based on the net community, napagana nga daw nila... (basa pa, basa pa)...

Anyway, globe has a promo of 5 pesos for 15 minutes (continues). just text TIME to 1111 and you don't have to pay per kb. Kaya lang.. dapat tapusin mo yung 15 minutes kasi if you disconnect bago mag 15 minutes, wala na yung rest. Pero okay siya. I'm using this promo to browse the net in my new phone (Samsung SGH-E250, walang mag-ko-comment sa phone model, please) via Operamini.. (yabang).

daxumaming
April 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Ganun, gumagana pala yung Smartbro modem sa Linux. Bakit kaya nung tinanong ko ung customer service ng smart sabi nila hindi gumagana yung modem sa linux and even vista.. sa windows xp lang daw.

That's their official stand, and they will only support the drivers that came with the kit. Obviously, intentional ung mis-information na un (or talaga lang hindi nila alam ung product nila) since they cannot support an unknown (unknown to them, that is) driver and googling some howtos on how to install them on linux is too much work (again, to them!).

killer_d76
April 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
i've asked the rep at Smart Wireless Center at Megamall and he mentioned that the Smart Bro Pre-paid does not support Linux, only supports Windows and Mac, only the Smart Bro with Plan 999 (?) supports Linux :confused: i asked the rep what's the difference between the Pre-paid ones compared to the Smart Bro with Plan on it.. he has no idea as well!..

perbiu
April 14th, 2008, 01:53 AM
May kakilala ako nag tatrabaho diyan sa Smart call center, medyo experimental pa kasi yung plug it internet, last week lang yata sinimulan yung training sa mga call center nila tunggkol diyan sa plug it at pre paid. Kaya siyempre pag ewan ko eh di ang instructions ay hindi supported.

Kung china brand yung modem malamang nga gagana yan, madalas kasi generic yung mga chipset nila.

wersdaluv
April 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Smart Bro plan kami dati. Napapaandar ko sa Ubuntu. Ordinaryong LAN cable lang naman yon tsaka kahit ano pang ISP patulan ko, gagamit at gagamit din naman ako ng wireless router.

Di ko nagustuhan yung Smart Bro plan. Umulan lang, nawawalan na ng signal. Back to PLDT MyDSL kami. Konektado to sa PLDT phone. Dapat lang, akma yung linya ng telepono para sa PLDT kundi, kailangan pa nilang palitan. Noon, lagi akong nadidisconnect sa MyDSL (bago pa kami magswitch sa Smart Bro Plan. That was years ago). Ngayon, hindi nagdodown. Swabe.

Subukan niyo rin pala yung http://speedtest.net para makita statistics ng ISPs sa area ninyo :)

exkludge
April 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
mga kasama... cud dis be the answer kaya di "daw" supported hehehe?

http://www.digitallearning.in/articles/article-details.asp?articleid=904&typ=Cover+Story

edit:
kaya isa siguro sa magandang dahilan kung bakit kailangan ng Ubuntu sub-groups (bulacan, kalookan,..)... para kung mga meron ganitong gusto natin subukan eh pwedeng mag patakpatak para maka pag sagawa ng testing.

naisip ko lang

dodimar
April 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Kung Linux lang sana yung laptop dito sa bahay... pwede ko dalin sa wireless center para ma test. .... di ko naman pwede install kasi sa biyenan ko yun.. hehehe

loell
April 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
eh di , mag livecd para lang ma test. :)

aimpau
April 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Gumagana xa. Konting tweaking at configuring lang ang kailangan.

dodimar
April 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
oo nga ano... toinks.. bakit di ko naisip yun.. problema ... sira yung battery nung laptop.. hehehe... try ko nga.... sana makapunta ako sm this weekend...

killer_d76
April 18th, 2008, 03:59 AM
OT.. i've read somewhere that if you have a mobile phone capable of 3G can be used as a modem?.. can somebody give me a link to that ;) thanks!

jsgotangco
April 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm using the ZTE USB HSDPA modem from WeROAM and it works well on Linux. Also with the Huawei E220 modem for Globe Visibility.

dodimar
April 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Tanong, anong modem ba ang gamit ng Smartbro?

I_have_seen_the_light
April 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Aimpau,

it works??? yung prepaid nabroad band nila ??? astig. paano sya pagaganahin? pnp lang ba? cna you point me in the right direction?

my sister is bugging me to get a broad band connection kase eh. eh bago lang ako sa work. i figured, pag naka kuha ako nung prepaid nila. pwede na sya magsave para sa internet nya.

salamat ng marami.

Homer

nadd
April 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
help! di ako makapaginternet gamit ang cellphone (sony ericsson w300i) gaya dati sa xp!ni sudo wvdialconf ko na pati sudo gedit wvdial.conf at nibago lahat ng pwedeng baguhin (ayun sa tutorial dito sa forum, not sa thread na ito) at wvdial ko pero ang sabi eh ppp daemon has died... help naman diyan... thanks... ubuntu 6.06 nga pala gamit ko sa aking 10+ yr old sony vaio laptop...

ch1c0dj
April 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
hi, base sa website ng smartbro, mswindows and macOS ung supported, IMHO hindi naman impossible sa linux support, bakit hindi, very flexible naman ang linux,

maganda kung ang mga linux/foss groups at proffesional ay magkaron ng initiatives para magka-support sa linux ang new service ng smartbro, they can coordinate mismo sa smart para maisa-katuparan ito much better kung asap di ba(syempre marami ang excited lalo na may new Ubuntu HH 8.04 LTS na sa mga lilipas na oras), mutually beneficial naman ito kaya go mga linux geek.

mas magkakaroon pa ng lalo exposure at mai-spread out pa ang Linux/FOSS dahil hindi magdadalawang isip ang mga pc user na subukan ang linux dahil ready na sya for new service like this.

linux groups(ubuntu-ph kaya?) can do the same with other telco/service provider, why not.

perbiu
April 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yung Smartbro prepaid yung mahirap. Smartbro prepaid modem ay ZTE MF622 HSDPA USB MODEM

Detected naman, at gumagana yung modem, kaso pag sinaksak mo ang lalabas ay USB Storage salit na Modem, pero may fix diyan: http://hillj.co.uk/2008/01/31/how-to-get-online-with-three-mobile-uk-and-linux-ubuntu/

Tapos connect via modem o gamit ang gnome-ppp o kung may iba pang paraan sana. Kaso ang problema sa Smartbro prepaid, walang username at password, sim card lang at parang automatic na ng bundled software (for windows only) yung log-in nila, eh hinihingan ako ng gnome-ppp ng username at password. Para malagyan ng load ay pupunta ka sa autoload at ibibigay yung prepaid number. Kulang ng info para maka connect sa isp nila.

Supported ang MAC, ngayon ang sa tingin ko nakasulat kasi na MAC user ay kailangan mo pang mag pa register sa kanila;

FOR MAC USERS: To register your Smart BRO Prepaid account, please install the modem in a WINDOWS-based PC. Once registered, you may now use your MAC PC to access the internet and manage your Smart BRO Prepaid account.

Siguro pag nag register ka na sa WebConnect nila ay bibigyan ka nila ng username/mobile# at password para maka connect gamit ang mga ppp software na puede rin sa linux kung gayon, kaso hindi akin itong SmartBro prepaid kaya ayaw ko pakielaman.

exkludge
April 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM
@perbiu

subukan mo tol ng ganito...

username: <number sa likod ng sim card>
password: <diba ipapadala sayo ito ng smart?>

baka pwede mo subukan. tapos paki post mo result dito.

edit: eto pa baka maka tulong din http://blog.ufsoft.org/2007/11/30/zte-mf622-usb-modem-under-linux

eto pa po: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

exkludge
April 28th, 2008, 01:49 AM
... kaso hindi akin itong SmartBro prepaid kaya ayaw ko pakielaman.

ooops sori po di ko napansin ito... sayang :(

perbiu
April 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
ooops sori po di ko napansin ito... sayang :(

Napapayag ko na siya magpa register, kaya sige susubukan ko yung mga link. Naayos ko na yung una, na madedetect ito na modem pag sinaksak. Ang problema ko ngayon ay kung paano kumonekta.

Username at Password lang meron, paano kaya yung tel no. o access point.
:guitar:

dingclancy
May 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
I know for a fact na gagana ang Huawei + Vodafone Driver sa Ubuntu our of the box.

Ewan ko lang sa cellphone Ittry ko pa.:) Sana may GUI for that pero kung plug and play sabay connect ng cell sa internet pwede na yun!

I am thinking of Smart Bro's plan too - pero un nga testing rin talaga... We need to figure this out, I have to get back to XP

ch1c0dj
August 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Arpee Ong from Aklan make Smartbro Prepaid/ZTE MF622 HSDPA Modem works on Fedora 8, check nyo sa site nya http://streetsmartingit.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-use-smartbro-prepaid-kit-on.html

eto mas madali sundan na instruction
Unfinished Sofware's Blog ZTE MF622 USB Modem Under Linux (http://blog.ufsoft.org/2007/11/30/zte-mf622-usb-modem-under-linux)

ch1c0dj
August 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
http://smart.com.ph/SmartBro/Subscriber/brodownloads.htm

FOR XANDROS LINUX OS

Use Smart Bro’s Plug It device with your ASUS Eee PC anytime and anywhere you want. Download any of the links to enjoy this service.

Download Link 1
Modem Software (ftp://203.172.13.111/smartbro_1.0.6-1_i386.deb)
User Guide (ftp://203.172.13.111/Smart%20MID%20User%20Guide.pdf)

Download Link 2
Modem Software (http://www.mypad.net/smartbro/smartbro_1.0.6-1_i386.zip)
User Guide (http://www.mypad.net/smartbro/Smart_MID_User_Guide.zipi)

Xandros linux is debian base same as Ubuntu, I hope this will work for Ubuntu linux user with Smart Bro Prepaid.

loell
August 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM
sudo /usr/bin/dpkg -i ––force-overwrite smartbro_1.0.6-1_i386.deb

:lolflag:

well.. better than nothing, I guess. ;)

chillout15
August 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
RE: Globe Visibility can work in Ubuntu 8.04

Hi,

I just want to share yung experience ko with my Globe Visibility Prepaid (HUAWEI E220).

I was able to make it work with my laptop. I'm using a NEO M360S and I have Ubuntu Hardy.

Here are the steps that I did:
- Downloaded this software from Vodafone - "Vodafone Mobile Connect for Linux (Ubuntu 7.04)" from https://forge.vodafonebetavine.net/frs/download.php/55/vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux_1.0_gutsy_i386.deb . (Just add the security exception).

- Installed it.

- For some reason, I also installed WINE to make sure (although, it technically has no role).

- Network considerations: make sure you assign a "pseudo static IP address" for the eth0 and of course, no ethernet cable plugged in.

- try to start the laptop/PC with the HUAWEI modem plugged in.

- start loading the Vodafone software and you will notice the a signal bar for GPRS or 3G signal named GLOBE Telecom PH.

- click on Internet and Firefox will load. Enjoy surfing. You can watch Youtube, and download and even use Skype Video conference. This is not good for network gaming.

kikoman
August 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
After i installed the smart dialer, how will i run it, since there is no icons appeared?

The globe and sun is easier though, smartbroken.
:lolflag:

kstella
September 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hey, what happened? Did anybody try out chicodj's suggestion re: instructions for Xandros Linux? Nagawa mo ba, kikoman?

Recursion_1209
September 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Can anyone help me how to setup ZTE MF620 (PLDT WeRoam) in Ubuntu Hardy?

loell
September 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Can anyone help me how to setup ZTE MF620 (PLDT WeRoam) in Ubuntu Hardy?

have you tried this one?

http://linuxate.blogspot.com/2008/05/zte-mf620-in-linux.html

Recursion_1209
September 18th, 2008, 12:03 AM
have you tried this one?

http://linuxate.blogspot.com/2008/05/zte-mf620-in-linux.html

I've tried the link you suggested. Everything was ok until I did wvdial command. I am getting an IPCP-CONFIG: timeout sending Config-Requests error when I checked /var/log/messages. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

loell
September 18th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I've tried the link you suggested. Everything was ok until I did wvdial command. I am getting an IPCP-CONFIG: timeout sending Config-Requests error when I checked /var/log/messages. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

i have no idea, probably ask the blog?

Recursion_1209
September 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Made it work by using pppd instead of wvdial. Still, my experience with weroam was slow so I just used my K800i as modem for SMART. Much better!

killer_d76
September 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Made it work by using pppd instead of wvdial. Still, my experience with weroam was slow so I just used my K800i as modem for SMART. Much better!

hehehe.. as far as i understand bro.. SLOW daw talaga yata yang SMART Bro na yan eh hehehe.

kstella
September 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Decided not to get it.

fuder
September 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
hi! is it possible that we post here the exact instruction on how to make smartbro work (using pppd or wvdial) for specific distro/version? this is to facilitate more interest on not just users of the forum but also of the viewers to make people stay more and read more on threads.

- fuder

fuder
September 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
although the fact still remains that smartbro connection is super slow, still, having a docu posted here is worth keeping the users and viewers to stay around. natives of other countries were able to figure things out themselves... why can't we.... the filipino way. thanks!

- fuder

loell
September 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM
the forum is always open for such docu/howto threads, anybody can make one, it just boils down to who has it and would he be willing to make it.

kikoman
September 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I doubt if anyone with smartbro prepaid worked, the tutorial just messed my computer, now nothing happens when i plugged a usb drive. But if they can port the xandros driver to ubuntu it might work.

./
home/
home/user/
home/user/.AsusLauncher/
home/user/.AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc
lib/
lib/modules/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/kernel/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/kernel/drivers/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/kernel/drivers/usb/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/
lib/modules/2.6.21.4-eeepc/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
etc/
etc/ppp/
etc/ppp/peers/
etc/ppp/peers/gprs
etc/ppp/peers/loadbro_dial
etc/udev/
etc/udev/rules.d/
etc/udev/rules.d/14-longcheer.rules
etc/udev/rules.d/15-zte-mf622.rules
opt/
opt/xandros/
opt/xandros/share/
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/home_loadbro_hi.png
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/student_loadbro_hi.png
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/business_loadbro_hi.png
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/loadbro_hi.png
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/loadbro_norm.png
opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/accessibility_loadbro_hi.png
opt/smart/
opt/smart/auto.sh
opt/smart/rm_dongle.sh
opt/smart/usb_modeswitch.conf
opt/smart/loadbro
opt/smart/zte-auto.sh
opt/smart/usb_modeswitch

Lord Kaiaphas
October 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I am wondering if this new smartbro product would work with ubuntu linux? This is the prepaid version of the palm-sized usb internet modem offered by smart. Link here:

hmmm, just a little thought why not use

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/diablosinmusika/Convergence/smartbroAA.jpg (https://auth.airborneaccess.net/rad/smartbro.signup.step1.php)

instead of the Prepaid. When you only have to Add Php200+ on you Plan 999.

aescnt
October 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm using Globe's 3G HSDPA with the Huawei USB modem on my ubuntu laptop. There are huawei mobile connect debs available for linux. I live near Antipolo and even in remote out of town locations, the speed is amazing. I've been using it to download linux iso's in so short a time.

Huawei E220 (Globe Visibility's modem, also probably Smart Bro's? not sure) is supported in Hardy. You can use wvdial to dial out. Intrepid will improve it's support for this further by letting you manage the connection using NetworkManager. :)

ebug
November 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Try upgrading to ibex. Yun kaibigan ko may verizon plugin wireless dto sa US, pareho din malamang sa smart bro dyan. Sa hardy ayaw marecognize ng verizon, pero sa ibex, recognized agad. Upgrade and see. Hinihintay ko rin yun sagot ng kaibigan ko dyan sa pinas.

icodeme
November 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
in same manner, do you guys think Globe Visibility will work?

Somehow got Plan 999 running here. Pretty good. 3 thumbs Up!

tagabukid
November 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
<rant/>

i have been following this thread ever since i have discovered this forum because this is how i connect too. 20 pesos per minute is steep, so i just control my usage. :-( the other alternatives (satellite internet, et al) are even more so.

i'm relatively happy with this setup. my only gripe is on the product hype and actual speeds that i can get. in this regard both smart and globe suck.

i connect to smart using a se k610i and a data cable, setup and installation is a breeze since none is needed on my hardy setup also on the previous gutsy and from a livecd of intrepid (and only very little was needed on the phone). it is just very sloww. please note that i can only get a gprs signal with smart from where i live which should explain the miserable speed. but smart should know better, since they don't have any 3g signals outside of iloilo city that i know of. a friend who also uses smart internet but with a 3g signal in the city says that it is a bit faster but not what he was expecting from a product that they call broadband.

i borrowed a friend's huawei e220 for globe visibility and it was slowwww as well. again it could only connect at gprs speeds so that shouldn't be a big surprise. but i just blame that on the miserable signal i get with globe. in their favor is that i can get 3g speeds on their cell sites outside the city but even then in the whole of iloilo city there is exactly one place where you can get an hsdpa signal (near gaisano mall in la paz). so getting a visibility modem is not very practical either. if i were to switch to globe i'll just use my k610i again and save myself the 2500 petots.

i just might do that when the globe cellsite near my place becomes operational and carries a 3g signal. (friends in globe say that 3g is coming to my neck of the hills) yehey!

my only consolation is that it's better than nothing. it is a pain to lug my desktop to a friend's/relative's house in the city to get updates and to download new releases. at least the lcd monitor is lighter than the old crt ones!

so where is the real mobile broadband that can live up to their own hype?
</rant>
you might be wondering how fast is slow. a picture is worth a thousand words:

tagabukid
November 5th, 2008, 05:17 AM
<rant/>so where is the real mobile broadband that can live up to their own hype?
</rant>

i love the philippines.. we get press releases about fuel price reductions a day before the price reduction. they should warn people that prices are falling? stupid.. our mobile carriers boast of fast mobile internet access and fail to deliver at all. and press releases about improving services and even faster data access. i wish they would just offer the damn services already and then boast about it instead of doing it the other way around.

another one: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20081105-170367/PLDT-faster-mobile-network-up-soon

MANILA, Philippines – With the current growth in the demand for mobile Internet services, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company is set to launch a faster version of its current HSDPA (high speed data packet access) standard offered through PLDT WeRoam and Smart Bro.

The HSPA 850 platform will be launched in the fourth quarter of this year. It will target areas that cannot be reached by current the company’s next-generation network, digital subscriber line (DSL) and broadband wireless services.

thats what they said about smartbro and smartbro prepaid. now that they feel threathened by the success of globe visibility will they roll out hsdpa. how about just properly implementing umts/3g. how about rolling out more 3g cellsites in the countryside instead of just in the cities. us farmers buy 3g phones too.. :lolflag: ay smart talaga nila. :mad:

clintcan
November 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, it does work. The new black usb modem is based on the Alcatel X020 One Touch 3G/HSDPA modem chipset.

wvdial doesn't work with this, it fails. better to use pon and poff (or better yet, rip off loadbro script from the .deb installer plus the /etc/ppp/peers files in the package - i'll give instructions below). Do not install the package (it messes up Ubuntu), just extract the /opt/smartbro and /etc/ppp/peers folders from it.

when you plug the usb dongle in and when the usb storage device goes out, type this in the terminal:

# cd /opt/smartbro
# sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x6061 && usb_modeswitch -c usb_modeswitch.conf
# sudo loadbro

That's it, enjoy your Prepaid Smart Bro.

I am writing this now on my Neo Vivid 1100 with Ubuntu 8.10 (and some speed test results)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/351510902.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/351513493.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

dodimar
November 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, it does work. The new black usb modem is based on the Alcatel X020 One Touch 3G/HSDPA modem chipset.

wvdial doesn't work with this, it fails. better to use pon and poff (or better yet, rip off loadbro script from the .deb installer plus the /etc/ppp/peers files in the package - i'll give instructions below). Do not install the package (it messes up Ubuntu), just extract the /opt/smartbro and /etc/ppp/peers folders from it.

when you plug the usb dongle in and when the usb storage device goes out, type this in the terminal:

# cd /opt/smartbro
# sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x6061 && usb_modeswitch -c usb_modeswitch.conf
# sudo loadbro

That's it, enjoy your Prepaid Smart Bro.

I am writing this now on my Neo Vivid 1100 with Ubuntu 8.10 (and some speed test results)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/351510902.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/351513493.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Now there we go,,,, what is the advertised speed on that one?

clintcan
November 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Now there we go,,,, what is the advertised speed on that one?

To be fair, my location in Cebu is 3G - not yet HSDPA. So their advertised speed is 7x dialup - which is basically 384kbps - works as advertised (even exceeds it). So their advertising for HSDPA speeds in not applicable here in our area yet (2Mbps maximum)

Now, for the latency, that is the problem. It is typical of mobile 3G/HSDPA modems to have those kind of values.

Funny thing is I have a nokia 3G enabled phone (E61i), and the speed is MUCH slower than the SmartBro Prepaid modem (when I use Smart Buddy sim) - for reasons unknown to me - they should just work equal since they are on a 3G network (8.10 is very nice - it detected by nokia and set it up for me almost automatically - I just had to choose my mobile provider).

clintcan
November 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Quick update:

Did a repository update, and revised my wvdial.conf file. Smartbro now works in wvdial.

Here's my configuration under the section [Dialer smartbro] (the default section is based on NetManager autoconfig settings):

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Username = witsductoor
Password = banonoy
New PPPD = yes
Baud = 460800
Idle Seconds = 3000
Auto DNS = 1
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Ask Password = 0
FlowControl = NOFLOW

[Dialer smartbro]
Init1 = ATZ
#Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init2 = ATE1
#Init2 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0
#Init3 = at_opsys=0
#Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","smartbro","",0,0
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
New PPPD = yes
Baud = 912600
Idle Seconds = 3000
Auto DNS = 1
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Dial Command = ATD
Ask Password = 0
FlowControl = NOFLOW

All you need to do is now to call

# wvdial smartbro

loell
November 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
hi, if it isn't much to ask, could you make a separate how to/ tutorial thread just for smartbro KS?

oh and LoL at the username & password.. :D

perbiu
November 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3290/001zf7.jpg
Finally! The smartbro prepaid wireless "kahit saan" with ZTE MF622 modem now works out of the box on a fresh install 8.10 Intrepid.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4058/002jg8.jpg
Wait for a little until it blinks again, if it is not detected try plugging it to different usb port. A pop up will appear when you plug it in for the first time. It is now detected as a modem instead of a USB storage in the previous versions.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6884/003sk3.jpg
Click the network icon and select configure.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7662/004dg8.jpg
Select Smart.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2530/005si7.jpg
Select Create, and leave password blank, then use Unsafe storage.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1367/007rl7.jpg
Smart can now be selected in the network icon.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2188/008tv3.jpg
Now we are connected using the plug-it internet. Before i started I removed the wire connection to make sure its working.

perbiu
November 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
cont'

http://www.speedtest.net/result/352267898.png
A little slow, because im using a desktop inside a house with obstacles in the windows that could weaken the signal.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3227/010dq5.jpg

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6899/011sc7.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3747/012th0.jpg

loell
November 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
ayos!! =D>

clintcan
November 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
hi, if it isn't much to ask, could you make a separate how to/ tutorial thread just for smartbro KS?

oh and LoL at the username & password.. :D

Ok, added a howto in this post: http://locoteam.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6137731#post6137731

This is for the longcheer/Alcatel OT-X020 chipset of the Smart USB Dongle - which I have.

loell
November 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
thanks clintcan. :)

so the two types of modem can now be used in ubuntu, this thread is now considered solve! :D

brilliant, guys!!

dodimar
November 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
That's the power of the Ubuntu Community!!! :guitar:

bemmycute2005
April 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I am new in asus eee pc 2 g series....and i reformat it and use ubuntu 8.10 for notebook os.....

then i have a smartbro which i've never used ......
i would like to ask a favor....if you have time to post a reply please post the complete and very specific instructions on installing smart bro in ubuntu 8.10 asus eee pc 2gig series!!!!

please...please...please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

dodimar
April 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I am new in asus eee pc 2 g series....and i reformat it and use ubuntu 8.10 for notebook os.....

then i have a smartbro which i've never used ......
i would like to ask a favor....if you have time to post a reply please post the complete and very specific instructions on installing smart bro in ubuntu 8.10 asus eee pc 2gig series!!!!

please...please...please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

which smartbro are you using.. the smartbro kahit saan (USB dongle) or the smartbro fixed wireless (the one with canopy antenna?)

raxso
April 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Mga guys and Gals.... mabilis ba ang smart prepaid kit.

dodimar
April 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mga guys and Gals.... mabilis ba ang smart prepaid kit.

Depende sa location... there are some places na okay.. some places sakit ng ulo...

bemmycute2005
April 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
i am using the smartbro kahit saan (USB dongle.

i hope you have any idea how to use smart bro for my laptop...without complete install of ubuntu eee

randytan
April 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Guys, buhayin ko lang it muna.

My friend has a ZTE MF627 USB dongle and he wants to use it with Intrepid. Is it doable?

Can you help him out?

Thanks.

Hope to hear from y'all again soon.

Best regards! :guitar:

Nessa
April 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Kumuha ng ganto ang mom ko bago lang. ZTE pero iba ang itsura kumpara dun sa napost sa isang thread.

lod2
March 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hello, Im not sure if you still need help on this, but you may want to look at my post here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1419799&highlight=zte+mf627

volaer
August 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I ALREADY HAVE SOLVED THIS!!!

PLEASE VISIT MY POST:
http://bloggervince.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-activate-smartbro-in-ubuntu.html

volaer
August 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Pero ung modem ng SmartBro ang hindi compatible sa Linux...

Ung Globe HSDPA, hehehe, medyo mahal un.. 2500 monthly, 5gb max download per month, more than 5 gb may charge na.. lock in one year (or 2 years na ata). Dapat yun din kukunin ko (Globe), kaya lang, mahal and daming requirements....

This is not true... I am using Smartbro dongle!!! If you don't know how to install it, please read my post:

http://bloggervince.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-activate-smartbro-in-ubuntu.html

Raizen44
August 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
i am using the smartbro kahit saan (USB dongle.

i hope you have any idea how to use smart bro for my laptop...without complete install of ubuntu eee

Guys this problem was already solved, pero sorry I don't have the link pero eto instructions para gumana ang Smart bro USB modem sa laptop nyo(prepaid gamit ko, and I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed)

First add the connection. to do this:
1. right-click the connections icon, choose edit connections.

2. Under mobile broadband tab, click Add (kung wala pa Smart bro)

3. click forward, choose Philippines and click forward

4. choose Smart, click forward

5. choose default(or leave it as is), click forward. Then click apply.

After ma-add ang smart bro eto sunod nyong gawin:
1. right click connections icon/option, choose edit connections

2. under the mobile broadband tab choose Smart, then click edit

3. Under PPP settings, left-click configure methods

4. Uncheck everything except PAP (dapat PAP lang ang may check). click ok. then click close.

5. Refresh connections. (you can either wait or do right-click connections, left click enable networking. You will see "network disconnected" error message, do it again to enable networking.

During or before setup, mkakakita kayo ng message na disconnected kayo. normal un. Don't bother calling smart, wala sila alam sa Linux except sa notebook ng Asus na nasa site nila. sasakit lang ulo nyo. Just do what I said, I'm paying it forward kaya sinagot ko ito dito sa forums. enjoy surfing!

itagomo
August 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
tol, patulong, ginawa ko yan pero hindi na dedetek as modem un USB Smartbro.
:<

Raizen44
September 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
tol, patulong, ginawa ko yan pero hindi na dedetek as modem un USB Smartbro.
:<

sure. sensya na, I missed a step. ano version gamit mo? gumagana rin kasi after that sakin e... after ng part na pipiliin mo ung smart, ung next is a drop-down na nakalagay ay "default". Click mo un, choose "my plan is not listed". Sa baba i-type mo "smartbro" (Ito ung box ung ay nakasulat na"internet" na grayed out nung una). then tuloy tuloy na. pagkatapos mo i-set, right-click mo ung connection icon, piliin mo edit connections, choose mo ung smart at choose edit. sa PPP settings, i-dapat ang may check lang ay ung "PAP".accept at close na lang pagkatapos nun. eto ung thread na pinagkunan ko ng instructions, at kung sakali ayaw pa rin eto pa ang isa pang work-around. hope this helps!

method 1:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1506375&highlight=zte+mf627

method 2:

Wag ka na tumawag sa smart. tried that, wala silang alam pag di windows gamit mo.

JUNESP
April 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
This is to inform the future subscriber of smartbro, I am suffering with a very low speed of smartbro it said in their ads that the speed is upto 2MBPS but in reality you will get only 0.1 to 0.39 MBPS speed, with this speed you cannot even make a video call. And worst of all you will be signing a lock in contract of 24 months. Beware future Smartbro subscriber you will be only disappointed if you subscribe just what happen to me. Here under is my smartbro speed test result.
:(:(:(:(:(

http://speedtest.net/result/879150844.png
http://speedtest.net/result/846654046.png
http://speedtest.net/result/849361246.png
http://speedtest.net/result/845902611.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1202440475.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1202438052.png

tech-hero
April 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
This is to inform the future subscriber of smartbro, I am suffering with a very low speed of smartbro it said in their ads that the speed is upto 2MBPS but in reality you will get only 0.1 to 0.39 MBPS speed, with this speed you cannot even make a video call. And worst of all you will be signing a lock in contract of 24 months. Beware future Smartbro subscriber you will be only disappointed if you subscribe just what happen to me. Here under is my smartbro speed test result.
:(:(:(:(:(

http://speedtest.net/result/879150844.png
http://speedtest.net/result/846654046.png
http://speedtest.net/result/849361246.png
http://speedtest.net/result/845902611.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1202440475.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1202438052.png
Yeah right, But are you sure you're connected to their 3.5G(HSDPA) network? There are lots of factors affecting connection speed.

chenjunyuan
June 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM
4. Uncheck everything except PAP (dapat PAP lang ang may check). click ok. then click close.

Thank you Raizen44,

This instruction was what I was missing kaya hindi ko mapaganda ang aking connection (PLDT WeRoam).

I'm a new Ubuntu user by the way, and new to Linux desktop OS for that matter. Thanks, for this, my setup is complete and I can use Ubuntu everywhere I go. :)