PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people and groups use proprietary copyright?

FastMady123
April 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I am so unhappy about people and groups using proprietary copyright. They are not members of the free software community. Examples are, AP, film industry, music industry, and most software companies. Why do they do it?

rickyjones
April 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe because they exist to make money off of their products as opposed to giving away the product. If I create something that I don't want others to make money off of because I put so much time into it then I would also copyright it as such.

-Richard

KiwiNZ
April 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I am so unhappy about people and groups using proprietary copyright. They are not members of the free software community. Examples are, AP, film industry, music industry, and most software companies. Why do they do it?

It's called "choice"

TeraDyne
April 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Maybe because they exist to make money off of their products as opposed to giving away the product. If I create something that I don't want others to make money off of because I put so much time into it then I would also copyright it as such.

-Richard

If you want to give it away, but not allow others to sell it, there's always CC-BY-NC-SA (Creative Commons, Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share Alike). There's no need for a proprietary license in that case.

However, if you want to sell your music, then you need a proprietary license... Unless there's something I haven't heard about... >_>;

aysiu
April 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Actually, they are members of the free software community. Even Canonical has released certain software closed source (Launchpad, Brainstorm). And I'm sure there are plenty of forum members here who contribute a lot to free software (money donations, time helping new users, documentation, patches, bug reporting) who also have some proprietary work licensed.

I'm sorry you feel only FastMady123 and Richard Stallman qualify as members of the free software community.

ugm6hr
April 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
They are not members of the free software community.

You answered your own question.

23meg
April 8th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Even Canonical has released certain software closed source (Launchpad, Brainstorm)

Brainstorm isn't developed by Canonical, and is open source (https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-qa-website-devel/ubuntu-qa-website/trunk).

aysiu
April 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Brainstorm isn't developed by Canonical, and is open source (https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-qa-website-devel/ubuntu-qa-website/trunk).
I stand corrected.

The point still remains that many members of the free software community can release restricted licenses on particular software, artwork, or other creative works.