PDA

View Full Version : Computerworld; what is the best OS?

Catharina
April 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
This is an interesting story on Computerworld, where several experts make a statement on why they think their operating system is the best. In the poll that comes with it, Linux is now on the lead, together with OSX.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9075000&pageNumber=1

LaRoza
April 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
How are those people "experts"?

reyfer
April 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
How are those people "experts"?

Google to the rescue:

Michael DeAgonia is a computer consultant and technologist who has been using Macintoshes and working on them professionally since 1993. His tech-support background includes tenures at Computerworld, colleges, the biopharmaceutical industry, the graphics industry, and Apple. Currently, he is working as a Macintosh administrator at a large media company.

James Turner, site editor for ONLamp.com, is a freelance journalist who has written for publications as diverse as the Christian Science Monitor, Processor, Linuxworld Magazine, Developer.com and WIRED Magazine. In addition to his shorter writing, he has also written two books on Java Web Development ("MySQL & JSP Web Applications" and "Struts: Kick Start"). He is the former Senior Editor of LinuxWorld Magazine and currently serves as Senior Contributing Editor for Linux Today. He has also spent more than 25 years as a software engineer and system administrator, and currently works as a Senior Software Engineer for a company in the Boston area.

Preston Gralla is the author of Windows Vista in a Nutshell, the Windows Vista Pocket Reference, and is the editor of WindowsDevCenter.com . He is also the author of Internet Annoyances, PC Pest Control, Windows XP Power Hound, and Windows XP Hacks, Second Edition, and co-author of Windows XP Cookbook.

David Ramel, Computerworld's Online Editor

Catharina
April 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Damn.. now OSX has passed Linux :sad:

LaRoza
April 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Google to the rescue:

Michael DeAgonia is a computer consultant and technologist who has been using Macintoshes and working on them professionally since 1993. His tech-support background includes tenures at Computerworld, colleges, the biopharmaceutical industry, the graphics industry, and Apple. Currently, he is working as a Macintosh administrator at a large media company.

James Turner, site editor for ONLamp.com, is a freelance journalist who has written for publications as diverse as the Christian Science Monitor, Processor, Linuxworld Magazine, Developer.com and WIRED Magazine. In addition to his shorter writing, he has also written two books on Java Web Development ("MySQL & JSP Web Applications" and "Struts: Kick Start"). He is the former Senior Editor of LinuxWorld Magazine and currently serves as Senior Contributing Editor for Linux Today. He has also spent more than 25 years as a software engineer and system administrator, and currently works as a Senior Software Engineer for a company in the Boston area.

Preston Gralla is the author of Windows Vista in a Nutshell, the Windows Vista Pocket Reference, and is the editor of WindowsDevCenter.com . He is also the author of Internet Annoyances, PC Pest Control, Windows XP Power Hound, and Windows XP Hacks, Second Edition, and co-author of Windows XP Cookbook.

David Ramel, Computerworld's Online Editor

The Vista and XP articles in particular are very FUDish. One describes the terminal as "DOS", and misrepresents Linux in a way a professional should never do.

They should know better if they are professionals.

zmjjmz
April 9th, 2008, 02:52 AM
The Linux guy only talked about Linux having applications and running on old hardware, although he should of said something better about how it looks and such. He also should of specified which version of Linux will run on a 486 (DSL), because I can't wait for a thread in ABT asking for help because Ubuntu wouldn't boot on some guy's 486 with 16MB RAM. A lot of it was in geek too (what the hell is a 486?), but nonetheless I commend him on not resorting to large amounts of FUD to speak his position.

The Mac advocate spread a ton of FUD (Linux not having integration? Have you never tried KDE?) and then went on to say that Mac is for idiots. (Oh and s/he had a terminal running on the desktop screenshot. So much for non geek :roll:)

Then the Vista one had some of the best market speak in the world, I think this guy has a side job at Microsoft's advertising team. If the Linux guy put in a word about Compiz Fusion, this Vista advocate would have to be more modest in his marketing of the effects and 'extras', all of which Linux offer, at a price you can't beat (unless you pay me or something).
And then he trumpets the software availability trumpet, which has been proven time and again due to the same reason as Windows' crappy quality (Because MS has a de facto monopoly, and thus can make the product bad without worries.) And we all know that due to Windows' unsafe nature, it is susceptible to malware attacks. It's been proven and done, now stop spreading FUD. Then he goes to his little FUD section, where he claims that you need DirectX9 to run FreeCell, Solitaire, Pinball, etc. So this is why Mac is inferior, because our tiny games require a toolkit for high powered 3D games and because one piece of virtualization software doesn't support it. There's a problem here, and it's not with Mac.
By the way, the only enterprise level software we have at my school runs in Java, which last time I checked runs on Linux. And then 26% of businesses reviewed by ZDnet use Linux in some way, now who's running 'enterprise level software?

Then the Windows XP title says it all. The People's Choice. May I point out that most people don't give a crap about what operating system comes with their computer and probably won't replace it? And that since most people have bought a computer with XP, it may just be the reason that the majority of computer users use it? I bet you this same person will cry out that Vista is the people's choice in 2011, when that's the de facto OS.

In addition, the Vista rollout problems are rather overstated. Chances are if you buy a new computer that comes with Vista, most of your stuff will work fine. And as I pointed out above, most people won't bother installing Vista by themselves. And thus why XP has that huge marketshare. And SP2 "vastly' improved the security of XP? From what, bad to mediocre?
"And do you really think Mac OS and Linux will be any safer if they gain enough market share to become relevant and get the full attention of hackers?" Yes.
He does tell some truth regarding XP having features found in Vista, but IE7 is only a feature to MS.
And then this guy quotes the cliched "Mac looks good so it isn't good for business" line. What the hell is that? Maybe you want to get work done, but do you want to be bored to death while doing it? Does this FUD even matter anymore?
Regarding his FUD on Linux, ready for the desktop =/= going to appear on everyone's desktop in a year or so. Linux has been more ready for the desktop than Windows for a while now, but because few large OEMs have picked it up seriously yet, I don't think we'll have a huge marketshare anytime soon. And then he complains about clicking a button and downloading something to get his music to play. Maybe he should try Linux Mint? And wireless problems you say? Did you ask on ubuntuforums.org? Oh, and Windows isn't exactly a walk down the park either. My mom's Thinkpad's wireless chipset hangs, drops, and sometimes doesn't even work in Windows with the official intel drivers, yet when I booted Linux from a LiveCD it worked immediately.
Now here's my favorite: "but there are too many distros, packages, ISOs, GNUs, Gnomes, awks, GREPs, flavors, kernels, KDEs, licenses and modules"
Because choice is bad. I didn't even know there were multiple KDEs, awks, greps, GNOMEs, and GNUs... Windows has a ton of different licenses by the way, all of which vary with that 'enterprise level software' you seem to be so obsessed with.

So in short: The Linux guy didn't talk enough about some of the cooler stuff, and everybody else spurted enough FUD to put Microsoft's TCO FUD-campaign to shame.

EDIT: Next time someone complains about Distro wars, I'm going to point out this whole XP vs. Vista nonsense. It's not even two different types of Windows, it's two different versions!

swoll1980
April 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I think it's funny that the mac and linux guys wrote programing books and for magazines but the MS guy spent his career writing about viruses and annoyances. maybe if he had a different OS he wouldn't have this problem

zmjjmz
April 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM
If he had a different OS he wouldn't have a job. How sad.

cardinals_fan
April 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Don't like the way Vista looks or works? No problem; change it. From the transparency of windows down to almost every level of the operating system, there's a way to customize it. And there's plenty of free and cheap software for further tweaking.

***Laughs hysterically***

zmjjmz
April 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Apparently changing colors is ultimate customizability.

FuturePilot
April 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I recently installed Ubuntu Linux successfully, though I found the partitioning choices a bit confusing. But to simply play an MP3 file, I had to download and install a separate package. Wireless connectivity was a joke. Absolutely ridiculous.
Guess what. I recently installed XP and to play a .divx file I had to download a whole separate package. Point being: Windows can't play everything out of the box either.

Wireless a joke? Three of my four computers have wireless now, all of them work without a problem and out of the box.

zmjjmz
April 9th, 2008, 04:20 AM
That's typical of the "If it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for anybody" mentality. It's been used in _every_ negative review of Linux I've seen.

savagenator
April 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
remember kids, linux is a cute cuddely thing, and windows is what you break and your mom gets mad at for breaking it, even if you didn't mean it!

I'm not that against windows, but I like the anecdote.

Also remember that most people that see that poll are advanced internet users and techies, so therefore many will vote for linux.

vishzilla
April 9th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Whoa! this is the first poll I've seen with Linux taken much of the votes. Thats good news!

SupaSonic
April 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
The Vista article is basically bashing all other OSes. And this line:

Parallels can't run even the most basic Vista games such as FreeCell, Hearts, Pinball, Solitaire and Minesweeper, because it doesn't support DirectX 9.

So Vista uses DirectX 9 for minesweeper? Wow, that's a new low.

billgoldberg
April 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Man, that linux guy really doesn't know how to "sell" his product.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM
The Vista article is basically bashing all other OSes. And this line:

So Vista uses DirectX 9 for minesweeper? Wow, that's a new low.

not to mention the fact that wine supports DX9 he did sound like a salesman he wasn't being objective at all, was trying to con people into thinking it was more customizable than the others more than xp and thats about it

Jack78
April 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Apparently changing colors is ultimate customizability.
Exactly. You'd need third party tools to get anywhere with changing the interface.

rastari
April 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
even if you could find lots of cheap software on windows and easily alter your desktop (which you can't) it still wouldn't stand up to ubuntu or other Linux distros because Microsoft don't want to make good easy to use software they want to make money.

djbsteart1
April 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Am I the only one who found the whole of that site really unprofessional, The whole style of the site seemed to be very childish, and they seemed to be trying to annoy people just to get a reaction. Either way, we know what and where Linux is, and with it being in front then that must count for something.