PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: system administrators

robert2003
April 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I would like to know, from previous/current linux/unix system administrators, how you got your job:

Did you go to a college/university?

or did you just get some certificates and go out and get a job?

I would like to be a system administrator....but I don't know how to get there.

Help please!!!

Thanks!

ibuclaw
April 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I would love to know that too. As I'm trying to do same/similiar job.

But I can tell you what I've done so far...

I've currently got an AS grade in Computing (College)
And I'm starting an NVQ Level 3 qualification with Zenos as a Hardware/Networking Guru slash Customer HelpDesk this September (Vocational Course in an Office).
It's a Microsoft qualification (shudder), but Britain is a very Windowsy Country. And there's not alot out in the open with Linux/UNIX in mind.

But I hope that the short course (5 Months) and a speedy release into a new job world (along with my extra knowledge of Unix-Systems) will help me find a way back to Linux-Land.

It also helps to have these qualifications at GCSE Level (Not sure of the U.S. equivalent of Secondary School Grades)
Maths A or B
English B or C
Physics B or C

Regards
Iain

smoker
April 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
dont know if it will interest or help you, but ubuntu does certification courses now: http://www.ubuntu.com/training/certificationcourses

best of luck

ibuclaw
April 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
hmmm... I would be interested, but it's sadly not in the UK at the moment.

Also seems rather amusing.

I know it's only a five day crash course.

But when I read it, I just get the idea in my head that I can get a "Degree in Ubuntu"

Kinda makes me chuckle to think of it, but I wonder if anyone really would get that qualification, should it arise...:neutral:
This is probably the same when asking would anyone be interesting in taking a Degree in Open Source... a REAL qualification that started taking students this year.

Goobie81
April 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I work as a Linux (and to a lesser extent Unix) admin for the Aussie Government and I have no formal tertiary qualifications. Over the past i have attained a handful of IBM and HP UNIX related certifications, and i used this and past Linux experience when i applied here.

In addition to the Ubuntu certifications, have a look into the RH training & qualifications (RHCT (https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhct/) etc).

Another piece of advice: Go out and buy your self a machine with lots of ram and setup Xen or VMware and setup like 5 VMs and setup random things and experiment. :) It's fun and good experience

tcpip4lyfe
April 9th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I work as the administrator for an auto shipping broker here in the states. I have a 2 year degree in network management I got from a community college. I had to work a really ****** network job for a year to get some experience under my belt. I ended up finding a posting on a local job website that said they were looking for network admins with a strong linux background. I didn't really have a mjor linux background but when I got to the interview and told the IT director I used ubuntu at home, he basically hired me on the spot. Now I get to manage 11 dapper servers all day long. I love it!

You just have to be on the prowl for a good job everyday. It may take 6 months or so but if you have the skills and a basic degree, you can get in. Take Cisco courses and live, sleep, and eat linux and you'll be set.