PDA

View Full Version : Win3.x-like DE for Linux?

Bungo Pony
April 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Many of the DE's I see seem to be based upon Win9x. I was wondering if there was a DE for Linux that was based on Windows 3.x since I've never seen one.

aaaantoine
April 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
It has been such a long time since I've used Windows 3.1 that I don't even remember how it works. I do remember, though, that Windows 95 added a lot of really important features, such as the X to close button.

I suppose the point of this post is, would you really want to use a DE that resembled Windows 3.x in any way?

Wobedraggled
April 8th, 2008, 04:28 PM
mwm maybe

http://www.cs.stevens.edu/content_images/mwm.png

SomeGuyDude
April 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Wasn't Windows 3.x the one that had a "program manager" that had to be open the whole time, and if you closed that window the whole system shut down?

I seem to remember the big thing about 95 that was nice was the fact that nothing had to be "open", your desktop could be empty and the computer was still on.

samwyse
April 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
The first DE's for Linux were KDE (1998) and Gnome (1999). Both naturally based on Win9x.

forrestcupp
April 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Wasn't Windows 3.x the one that had a "program manager" that had to be open the whole time, and if you closed that window the whole system shut down?

I seem to remember the big thing about 95 that was nice was the fact that nothing had to be "open", your desktop could be empty and the computer was still on.

I forgot about Program Manager.

CarpKing
April 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Minimized programs were represented as icons on the desktop. I'm sure there's something for Linux that would emulate this. I bet there's also Win 3.1 themes for Gnome and KDE out there somewhere, though I don't remember seeing any.

Steveway
April 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Minimized programs were represented as icons on the desktop. I'm sure there's something for Linux that would emulate this. I bet there's also Win 3.1 themes for Gnome and KDE out there somewhere, though I don't remember seeing any.

Xfdesktop can do that, I mean showing Icons of minimised apps on the Desktop.

D-EJ915
April 9th, 2008, 03:48 AM
you could program FVWM to be like that if you wanted to

aaaantoine
April 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I don't remember that.

I do remember, though, that minimizing a window had the net effect of window-shading it, changing its width to approximately 120px, and moving it to the bottom of the screen without overlapping another minimized window. Functionally (and quite literally, of course), it was the precursor to the task bar.

Every so often I use a MDI style program that still uses the old win16 API, and minimizing an internal window in one of these programs does exactly as described above.