PDA

View Full Version : If I hear "I'm going back to Windows" one more time...

kevdog
April 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Ok, yes this is a rehash of an old topic. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233728
however if I hear "I'm going back to windows if you don't help me in getting this figured out" one more time, I'm really going to go ballistic.

Just my personal bottom line....I Don't Care!! If you want to go back to windows, be my guest. I'm hear to help you with Ubuntu..period. I use Windows regularly. I am not a Windows hater. Windows is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others. Ubuntu is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others. The two however in my mind are mutually exclusive although the do happen to overlap in many circumstances related to the features they offer users. Don't threaten me or complain to me that YOU have to get something figured out in the next 5 seconds or you are going back to Windows. Go then!!

Everyone here on the forums is a volunteer. I believe they offer great advice for free..in fact in terms of the quality of advice given in this forum, I don't know if I know another forum related to any other topic that compares in the totality of great information provided. All people donate their time, and share their experiences to make Ubuntu and the community a better place.

By complaining about going back to Windows however YOU are not helping me, or the community at large other than being hostile and misbehaving. Beginners new at Ubuntu can offer a lot of information. They point out different angles that I missed during my learning period. Often they help point out deficiencies that can be addressed with future versions. Pointing out that YOU ARE GOING BACK TO WINDOWS however contributes nothing!!

Please do not waste my time or any other users' time on the forums with such a complaint. I personally will ignore and stop helping those who throw out such a threat.

And yes I should probably receive an infraction for this thread. Sorry admin staff!

dmn_clown
April 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, yes this is a rehash of an old topic. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233728
however if I hear "I'm going back to windows if you don't help me in getting this figured out" one more time, I'm really going to go ballistic.

I'm going back to windows just because I want to see you go ballistic.

corney91
April 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hear hear! :D
What annoys me the most is that people who don't have the patience for Ubuntu seem to think that they are the only ones who, for example, realise that wireless support needs to improve. These things don't just happen overnight!

chucky chuckaluck
April 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
i'm going back to my collection of old file cards.

notwen
April 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I could honestly care less whether ppl feel the need to post/rant about Ubuntu not suiting their needs/going back to Windows, as long as said post/rant is made in the Testimonials sub-forum. Majority of these are made in General Help, Absolute Beginners or Community Cafe. =]

Tristam Green
April 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I could honestly care less whether ppl feel the need to post/rant about Ubuntu not suiting their needs/going back to Windows, as long as said post/rant is made in the Testimonials sub-forum. Majority of these are made in General Help, Absolute Beginners or Community Cafe. =]

+1. I don't take any satisfaction in seeing them, but it makes me giggle to see an Ubuntu Testimonial (especially a negative one) in the Cafe, simply because it relays to everyone else the poster's lack of deduction and reading skills.

aysiu
April 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I agree.

If you see them posted in the wrong subforum, please click the REPORT button, and a moderator will move them to Testimonials and Experiences.

macogw
April 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'm going back to windows just because I want to see you go ballistic.

Me too.

GOROSSI
April 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
And Me Im on it now.:)

But anyway People moaning about hardware support really bugs me.
there concerns are warranted to an extent if they install Ubuntu on Hardware that they currently own. But Trying other distro's sometimes solve their issues if their Is no fix for Ubuntu

BUT if there are buying a New machine to run Ubuntu they should go and do some research first!

that's What I did when I got my new laptop in January And everything ran out of the box apart from compiz as it's Intel 965 based But I am happy to wait for that to work correctly i.e. Hardy

LaRoza
April 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Please do not waste my time or any other users' time on the forums with such a complaint. I personally will ignore and stop helping those who throw out such a threat.

And yes I should probably receive an infraction for this thread. Sorry admin staff!

I agree.

No, you shouldn't, but here's one anyway (j/k)

aysiu
April 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't actually mind if people announce they're going back to Windows.

What really bothers me is people threatening to go back to Windows if they don't get help. That's just a whiny tantrum that shouldn't be indulged.

You ask for help nicely and hopefully get it. If not, you try to solve your problems yourself or look elsewhere.

Of course, what bothers me even more than that is people who didn't bother to help that user when she asked nicely but suddenly are tripping all over themselves to help once she threatens to go back to Windows.

swoll1980
April 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
thats it I take this any more I'm going back to windows

fissionmailed
April 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
*nix isn't for every one. Some people just wanna load the OS and be done with it. Personally I love *nix and have it on all my computers. Now I'm struggling with FreeBSD and trying to find my way with it, but I like that. I know my roommates just use a computer to surf the net and have no idea what goes on behind the GUI, one's a Mac user. *giggles* Anywho, nothing it the solve it all for every one.

Vandread
April 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I can understand why people want to announce it. Maybe they get frustrated and would rather deal with something more familiar. Ive had ubuntu for about a year now and I can honestly say I have a love hate relationship with it. Wasnt until recently that I figured out its best I run it on older hardware as apposed to my main rig to see how ubuntu shines. There are somethings I love about Ubuntu that I just cant match in windows but other things I cannot live without in Windows.

Dont go ballistic if people announce it, try to shrug it off. You do the best you could with helping people in this forum and I greatly appreciate your help and everyone elses help. But you cant save them all, ya win some, ya lose some. As long as you helped who cares. For that 1 person who went back to Windows there is 1 more person whos coming from Windows to Ubuntu. Keep up the good work!!

Hendrixski
April 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
"I don't care what your problems are, go back to Windows because you're not 1337 enough to run linux"

whoa, when did we turn into Debian?

Seriously people, we're here to help them, and that means ignoring the useless crap and telling them nicely that their problem can be solved with a little bit of patience, and that in the meantime they should focus on the good stuff.

Tristam Green
April 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Seriously people, we're here to help them, and that means ignoring the useless crap and telling them nicely that their problem can be solved with a little bit of patience, and that in the meantime they should focus on the good stuff.

I would have said Gentoo, as I've gotten more contempt for being a Windows user and for being an Ubuntu user from that "sect" than anyone else, lol.

LaRoza
April 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
*nix isn't for every one. Some people just wanna load the OS and be done with it. Personally I love *nix and have it on all my computers. Now I'm struggling with FreeBSD and trying to find my way with it, but I like that. I know my roommates just use a computer to surf the net and have no idea what goes on behind the GUI, one's a Mac user. *giggles* Anywho, nothing it the solve it all for every one.

Give someone a Windows install disk, and an OpenSuSE disk.

The average user with no experience will find OpenSuSE much easier to use by themselves. OpenSuSE comes with everything the average user wants, Windows doesn't even come close.

aysiu
April 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
You don't have to be elite to run Ubuntu. Having it preinstalled or having compatible hardware would help you, though.

macogw
April 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Where did you quote THAT from? Nobody said that except you. Everyone here's just upset that people resort to infantile temper tantrums instead of being adults.

fissionmailed
April 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Give someone a Windows install disk, and an OpenSuSE disk.

The average user with no experience will find OpenSuSE much easier to use by themselves. OpenSuSE comes with everything the average user wants, Windows doesn't even come close.

But people are used to windows. Plus they want Word etc etc. I'm not saying Windows is the best OS, I think it's a cruddy one, but it's what people are used to. People hate change and Bill Gates simply is cashing in on it IMO.

KiwiNZ
April 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Every complaint is a gift.

Het Irv
April 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I learned after a few months of Linux, if you don't want to run it, you can't. Running any version of any OS is work, most people know the steps for a Windows system, and they complain when those steps don't translate into Linux.
You have to want to use it otherwise you will just give up.

NR1224
April 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM
right on brother, fight the power!:guitar:

bdailey
April 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Honestly if you spend a little time looking you can find the answer to your problem already on the forum. There hasn't been much I couldn't fix with a few searches. I think this forum is very helpful although the griping that Ubuntu isn't a Windows clone does get to me sometimes too.

Het Irv
April 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I will say that the forum's search feature isn't always that helpful. But, most of the time you can find something useful.

wanttolearn
April 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Every complaint is a gift.

I agree with this comment, help the people out, educate them into how to find the solution for problems in the future and set them on their way.
If an improvement can be made on the software due to a complaint (even with a windows huff) then that is a win in my column!

Its when we don't get any complaints that its time to worry! :)

acelin
April 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm on Vista now- pity me. I cannot wait until I get my new computer and I can have Ubuntu again.

notsoold
April 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu for the 1st time as I have spare computer at the moment. I have grown up though dos and win in all it's guises to vista. I won't be going back to windows as I haven't left it. I have had a quick browse through the site and from what I have seen it will become useful for me as I try to get to grips with linux. I must admit that it has taken me a little while to get a couple of things going and given up on couple of things for the time being but I will get the printer and the dvd's playing as a don not like being bested by a machine.

Don't give up on us newbies we need you experts out there.

Colin

raymac46
April 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years and I got started because I had the problem of replacing Windows Me on an older desktop.
I think if you have a practical reason to use Linux and are willing to work with it and learn, you'll succeed. If you just want to dabble, you are better off sticking with a Live CD or Windows itself.
In my case it took a week to get wireless going with WPA and I had a supported wifi card. But I learned the secret eventually.
I do go back to Windows occasionally (I need it for income tax). But it wasn't an option to do so permanently when the version of Windows on the old machine wasn't supported any longer.

HermanAB
April 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
For those complaining about Windows, I can assure you that DOORS is much, much worse...

kevdog
April 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Here is what I would like to happen in the forums. To hold a slogan or initiative that every user that has received help to return the favor and help someone else out. Again it didn't take me long, about 1 month or so from when I began, that I began posting assisting other users. By no means was I an expert, however it was a similar problem to what I had just figured out what to do along the way. Again I think this would be a great goal for the forums although I'm not quite sure how to promote it. Transitioning from asking for solutions to providing answers and suggestions is a process that takes time, however in some cases this transition can begin early but take a long time to complete (if ever !?)

forestpixie
April 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Here is what I would like to happen in the forums. To hold a slogan or initiative that every user that has received help to return the favor and help someone else out. Again it didn't take me long, about 1 month or so from when I began, that I began posting assisting other users. By no means was I an expert, however it was a similar problem to what I had just figured out what to do along the way. Again I think this would be a great goal for the forums although I'm not quite sure how to promote it. Transitioning from asking for solutions to providing answers and suggestions is a process that takes time, however in some cases this transition can begin early but take a long time to complete (if ever !?)

+1
or more - it seems to me that the more you can help others the more that you learn - especially when someone else comes along with a - "Do it this way " .

How else do you learn - I, myself spent most of my pc life on windows and have luckily managed to get away - I don't use anything that I can't do here - had to unfortunately give in with ies4linux for my son anhis messenger cos pidgin just wasn't what he wanted :sigh:

But the main thing that I've learned here - is help when you can , when you can't - don't - learn instead and when you can but don't want to don't bother - you don't have to.

Generally I think that all who do participate learn to do so because they want and not just ask questions and eventually end up not being an OP, there is a great pleasure to be had in helping others and those of us who (that'll be you too) do get our payment in kind.

But to get back to the original - I completely agree with you and personally I don't answer questions that appear to me as close to blackmail - in part that is a response to aysiu's original "why answer these people now thread" which I read with interest, but mostly because I could justify the change and see the benefit to me.

It's not all that often I actually post much here and tend to concentrate on helping others, not saying you all don't :) , but thought I should pitch in with my pennyworth - it really does get appreciated by those who do want to make the change - the friendly response I got last year with my first question made the choice for me.

So perhaps a little ~(deep) breath, when there's another "I'm off - you're a bunch of fools" thread - people panic - and no amount of hoping they won't will not change it.

Many. many heart felt regards to the people who make this forum the resounding success that it is - you and I (hopefully) make all the difference to those watching from the sidelines why it is that people do change their OS eventually - perhaps not for the reasons some want, but the change is made.

Forestpixie with peace

Edit - do you know what really gets my goat - people who can't be bothered to either say thanks that worked for the next one to read the thread, those who leave a thread at 1 answer, but especially those who can't mark a thread as solved.

-random
April 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Windows is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others. Ubuntu is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others.

or you can run both :P

http://images.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bgevolution.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/screenshot.png&imgrefurl=http://www.bgevolution.com/blog/index.php/virtualbox-seamless-mode-with-windows-and-linux-sharing-same-desktop/&h=1024&w=1280&sz=893&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=0NV0dfP8irjc5M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvirtualbox%2Bseamless%2Bmode%26um%3D1 %26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dcom.ubuntu:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

lol, and ye.. there are a LOT of 'i'm going back 2 ******* boohoo :P' ;)

piobair
April 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM

I'm going back to my collection of IBM cards. Also, I still have the cassette tapes for my Heathkit H8; also the H8.

Piobair

Taino
April 9th, 2008, 02:24 AM
If I hear "I'm going back to Windows" one more time...

Well thats odd, Ive been coming to these forums for a few years and have never heard voices. :biggrin: (i kidd)

Sounds like your suffering from too much Ubuntu, Time for a 3 step Decaf program.

Step 1: Dont take anything you read on the forums personally.
Step 2: Dont post under the influence of frustration or stress.
Step 3: Dont post angry, and fight the urge to vent bottled rage.

And for gods sakes keep smiling :) Yep works everytime. :)

:popcorn:

wolfen69
April 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Well thats odd, Ive been coming to these forums for a few years and have never heard voices. :biggrin: (i kidd)

Sounds like your suffering from too much Ubuntu, Time for a 3 step Decaf program.

Step 1: Dont take anything you read on the forums personally.
Step 2: Dont post under the influence of frustration or stress.
Step 3: Dont post angry, and fight the urge to vent bottled rage.

And for gods sakes keep smiling :) Yep works everytime. :)

:popcorn:

or under the influence of alcohol. :mad:

NightwishFan
April 9th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I am going back to Windows... Unless you send me no less than a single cup of french roast coffee cream no sugar.
Edit: Good time to change my avatar.

Pethegreat
April 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
You don't have to be elite to run Ubuntu. Having it preinstalled or having compatible hardware would help you, though.
System 76 laptop: No problem I have not been able to fix myself.
Desktop: Good thing I am a member on these fourms.

I should have researched my hardware more before I installed Ubuntu.

I may go back to my stone tablets...

cardinals_fan
April 9th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I may go back to my stone tablets...
Time to practice those crazy abacus skills I used to have...

Midwest-Linux
April 9th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I suggest those trying out Ubuntu or whatever Linux distro doing a live CD, then going to dual booting to get their feet wet, then installing Ubuntu / Linux on a older computer. Then installing Linux on yet another computer, and usually when they are over 75 % Linux it won't take much to go all Linux only.

The 9000 PCs in Switzerland, they didn't jump right into Ubuntu. They first did a dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu and then they are going all Ubuntu in September. It is a good example for anyone or any company to follow.

I see a lot of opportunity here for anyone to not only become proficient in Linux, but very competent in computers altogether. Possibly opening doors for some to pursue jobs in the computer industry. Linux is well established in the server sector and the potential for growth in the desktop sector is unlimited. Linux use is up 61%, personally I think its much higher.

I see tremendous opportunity for those to willing to install Linux on peoples machines, people who cannot afford to buy a new computer or buy a new Windows license, could have Linux on that spare computer that will do most modern applications without any significant upgrades.

It has been nearly a year since I first tried Linux and I have learned a lot about Linux and computers in general. Oh, the "I'm going back to Windows"remark..... Because of Windows Vista, I am here on these forums. In early 2007 I needed another computer and could not find a XP computer in the stores (its different now), so I started looking for alternatives to Vista and found these forums.

I hear the shills mention that Linux is so fragmented, I see it differently as Linux being so diverse and nearly something for everyone is the reason among others its been so successful in adoption. Windows or Mac can't touch us in the diversity department. What other OS can run on a G3 Mac, Pentium I PC, or the latest high end $5000 gaming machine? Ubuntu/Linux.

If people want to go back to Windows, let them...they will be back :-)

yatt
April 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Just my personal bottom line....I Don't Care!! If you want to go back to windows, be my guest. I'm hear to help you with Ubuntu..period. I use Windows regularly. I am not a Windows hater. Windows is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others. Ubuntu is good at a lot of things, and not so good at others. The two however in my mind are mutually exclusive although the do happen to overlap in many circumstances related to the features they offer users. Don't threaten me or complain to me that YOU have to get something figured out in the next 5 seconds or you are going back to Windows. Go then!!

Everyone here on the forums is a volunteer. I believe they offer great advice for free..in fact in terms of the quality of advice given in this forum, I don't know if I know another forum related to any other topic that compares in the totality of great information provided. All people donate their time, and share their experiences to make Ubuntu and the community a better place.

By complaining about going back to Windows however YOU are not helping me, or the community at large other than being hostile and misbehaving. Beginners new at Ubuntu can offer a lot of information. They point out different angles that I missed during my learning period. Often they help point out deficiencies that can be addressed with future versions. Pointing out that YOU ARE GOING BACK TO WINDOWS however contributes nothing!!

And yes I should probably receive an infraction for this thread. Sorry admin staff!You should be going ballistic on the people who will immediately pander to this person in order to keep them on Linux. They are the problem.

In all honesty, the people that do the "Halp me or i gb2Windows" routine are all people we should be glad to see go. They are really looking for an organization that will attempt to resolve every hissy fit because they have a vested interest in keeping that person happy: like say a company that sold them a product. We are not that, and probably won't ever be. They are not looking for a community where it is "I'll help you, because I know you would help me" rules, they want "I bitch, you fix". While many of us do respond to "I bitch, you fix", we really shouldn't.

There are many people who are much more deserving of help, and they get ignored for problem people such as these. People who will help back, file bug reports, or at the vary least ask for help in a civil manner get ignored for these people, and I think that is wrong.

Furthermore, it shows users that not only does throwing a hissy fit get the same results as a polite request, it gets them faster. This is a bad message for the community to be displaying. In this way, helping these people is actually bad for Linux. It lowers the standards on what is acceptable which in the long run while drive skilled and talented people away.

I think the best response to "I'm a going back to Windows" is "Don't forget to ask for a refund".

aysiu
April 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
For more details, read A Plea to the Community: Don't Reward Bad Behavior (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=634322)

kevdog
April 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I always thought cygwin installed on windows was actually a good transition for Windows users. Here you can learn about scripting, learn about permissions, and setup basically the same type of servers (ssh, LAMP, others) as you could on a real linux installation. Yes the authentication and security concerns are really up to the Windows system, however if you can work well with cygwin, the installation of a real linux system should be a snap. In fact I really recommend cygwin for users keeping a few separate computers with one at least keeping windows installed.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I don't know if this would help or not but I'm in sales and when We want to motivate people we offer a reward. Perhaps we could make a monthly award for the person who is the most helpful to the noobs. nothing special just an honorable mention would be enough to get people more motivated to help. I think the solution to the disgruntled noob problem is to make sure they get the help they need before they get disgruntled

pbpersson
April 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hey......I gotta say that since I have started on Ubuntu I have been really disgusted a few times.

However, the people on this forum have compiled so many helpful hints that all I need to do is search and the answer is there.

Just a few days ago this machine slowed down to an absolute crawl and then totally hung. I got on my "I should go back to Windows" soapbox.....

But after I calmed down I used my Fedora machine to read some articles on this forum.

I removed and rebuilt the swap space, deleted all my temp files, downloaded and ran the newest version of Envy to install the proprietary ATI drivers for the graphics card.....and now this is like a brand new machine!

I cannot get over how useful this forum is when I'm in trouble! =D>\\:D/

iladw
April 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I am going back to my Amiga :D

BuffaloX
April 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM

:lolflag:

wieman01
April 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
You won't receive an infaction from me either as I am clapping my hands. I just cannot get myself to issue it. ;-)

ubuntu-freak
April 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I've not actually had someone threaten to go back to Windows if I can't give them a solution. Sometimes they will say they don't want to use Windows anymore, but are having this issue or that issue, just because they are unlucky enough to have fairly incompatible hardware. I'm not sure how I'd react if they made a thread like that.

Nathan

akiratheoni
April 9th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Eh, I never end up responding to 'I'm going back to Windows' threads. I just feel as though it's trolling and as everyone says, 'don't feed the troll!'

A lot of us say we aren't zealots or anything of that sort but the minute someone insults our operating system and our philosophies then we take action and defend it. It's great to defend something but when the person is just LOOKING for those responses, it's probably not a good idea to respond. I too am tired of the 'I'm leaving Windows' threads but hey, Ubuntu isn't for everyone. No need to force it upon them.

DrMega
April 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I am going back to my Amiga :D

I'm going to give all my stuff away and go and live in the woods.

Taino
April 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm going to give all my stuff away and go and live in the woods.

Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest style?? :lolflag:

http://www.occultopedia.com/images_/robin_hood1.jpg

NightwishFan
April 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
No Ithilien Ranger style.

wobbiebobbie
April 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
how can they complain if they are getting it (FREE OF CHARGE) if they would take the time to "READ" the forums or google it they may solve there problem. I just started using ubuntu in November 2007 and had some issues and through the help of the forums and google and the great people on the IRC I got it. We live in a microwave minute world and everybody wants it NOW. well I could go on and on I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP

elmer_42
April 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm going back to butterflies (http://xkcd.com/378/)!

Saint Angeles
April 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM
If I hear "If I hear 'I'm going back to Windows' one more time..."

something will happen

caravel
April 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM
how can they complain if they are getting it (FREE OF CHARGE) if they would take the time to "READ" the forums or google it they may solve there problem. I just started using ubuntu in November 2007 and had some issues and through the help of the forums and google and the great people on the IRC I got it. We live in a microwave minute world and everybody wants it NOW. well I could go on and on I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP

With all due respect I don't find this to be a very helpful attitude. This is the kind of thing that puts newcomers off.

As I've said time and time again, ad nauseum, the reason why we're getting a lot of basic level PC users registering here lately is because they're here to try out compiz. Once they've tried it out, played with the cube, showed it off to their friends and got bored, they will go back to windows. Then the "going back to windows" and "how do I uninstall ubuntu?" threads start rolling in.

aysiu
April 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
As I've said time and time again, ad nauseum, the reason why we're getting a lot of basic level PC users registering here lately is because they're here to try out compiz. Once they've tried it out, played with the cube, showed it off to their friends and got bored, they will go back to windows. Then the "going back to windows" and "how do I uninstall ubuntu?" threads start rolling in. Please provide support for this assertion with links to all the "I'm going back to Windows because I'm bored" threads. I've been on these forums for three years and have not found a single one of these.

The "I'm going back to Windows" threads come from frustration, not boredom.

Further reading here (the top Google results on "back to Windows'):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=746006
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622141
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66187
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156895
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283236
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=384970
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280987
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71602

JRoDDz
April 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
That's it!! :mad: I'm going back to my Smith Corona typewriter!

caravel
April 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Please provide support for this assertion with links to all the "I'm going back to Windows because I'm bored" threads. I've been on these forums for three years and have not found a single one of these.

The "I'm going back to Windows" threads come from frustration, not boredom.

Further reading here (the top Google results on "back to Windows'):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=746006
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622141
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66187
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156895
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283236
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=384970
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280987
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71602

Fair enough, I can seriously say I've never seen a "bored" thread either, but plenty of "frustration" threads in which boredom will become a factor at some point. You're right in that I should have phrased the post in a different manner with a better choice of wording, and not used "bored". I apologise for this.

The point is that a lot of people give up because well maybe they got compiz working and Ubuntu works ok but something else doesn't or some app they need to run or some piece of hardware won't function in Linux. They try some of the fixes or suggestions but many lack the patience to really get stuck in and try. In my own case I've been trying to get the ATI driver working since 7.04 and haven't done it yet. But I've never given up on Ubuntu. I went out and bought an Nvidia graphics card so that I could get 3D in Ubuntu working. I'm not sure everyone else would be willing to go to these lengths. I'm sure many people see Ubuntu as a free OS just to play around with for a while and then go back to windows.

I expect most of those that give up don't actually post a thread either, they probably search the forum and find the info they need to remove Ubuntu and don't come back again.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Linux I am always using new WM, or distros. Windows I am always trying to hack it to use less cpu and memory. It is great to finally have an operating system that encourages you to use a little or as much ram as you want.

aysiu
April 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately, there are only two solutions to this problem, and I rarely see either employed, let alone both:

1. Stop hyping Ubuntu and/or Linux to be what it is not. Stop downplaying the difficulties of a migration, and stop bashing Windows. If people have low expectations, they will be pleasantly surprised and may actually stay with Ubuntu. If, however, you give people unreasonably high expectations, they will most likely be sorely disappointed and never come back (oh, and they might post an "I'm going back to Windows" thread first).

2. Point people to preinstalled options. I just got an Eee PC, and even though I much prefer Ubuntu to Xandros, I have to say this thing works. Things not working usually isn't the fault of Linux but the fault of do-it-yourself (as opposed to preinstallation). I was not expecting things to be so smooth--online video, Flash playing, webcam, microphone, sound, wireless, suspend, resume from suspend, special F-keys... they all work flawlessly out of the box, which I wouldn't bet on if you installed Linux on a randomly selected notebook.

Even though some people have reported some minor problems with the preinstalled Dell Ubuntu computers, most people seem to be generally satisfied and have found the obstacles fixable with a tweak or two.

Jay Jay
April 13th, 2008, 03:17 AM
The "I'm going back to Windows" threads come from frustration, not boredom.]

Absolutely and this is something many among us fail to pick up on. Whilst a great deal of those threads are simply MS fanboys and trolls, a lot of them are actually (clumsily executed) cries for cries for help.

From personal experience, because I've felt that way, It's easy to understand why they do it. If you've posted for advice/assistance/clues, waited patiently, bumped and receive no replies to technical questions (as has happened to me). Or are told: "99% of problems can be solved by just using google", which is irritating if you've made the effort and know this magic panacea of finding absolute answers from the search engine doesn't work for all. Suddenly It becomes very tempting to fall back on your old XP/2000 CD where you're in familiar territory and everything "works".

As aysiu has observed, many users requests for help go ignored until they go to the drastic levels of "I'm returning to Windows" rants and then the offers come flooding In and this I cannot understand because It shouldn't have to come to that in the first place.

kevdog
April 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
As aysiu has observed, many users requests for help go ignored until they go to the drastic levels of "I'm returning to Windows" rants and then the offers come flooding In and this I cannot understand because It shouldn't have to come to that in the first place.

What are you talking about?? Shouldn't have come to that in the first place? You act like other users of the forum have the responsibility to answer your post. This is a volunteer forum. Your post possibly wasn't answered since maybe nobody knew the solution, people were busy, people had their own problems to deal with, people were not reading the forums that day, or just maybe you really were not phrasing your description of your problem in a way that made sense.

Its the posters responsibility to make sure they ask for help responsibly, and this does not include tactics such as kicking and screaming and shouting about going back to windows just to get attention.

I personally have stopped helping people out in midforum when they mention this to me.

Jay Jay
April 13th, 2008, 04:56 AM
What are you talking about?? Shouldn't have come to that in the first place? You act like other users of the forum have the responsibility to answer your post. This is a volunteer forum. Your post possibly wasn't answered since maybe nobody knew the solution, people were busy, people had their own problems to deal with, people were not reading the forums that day, or just maybe you really were not phrasing your description of your problem in a way that made sense.

Its the posters responsibility to make sure they ask for help responsibly, and this does not include tactics such as kicking and screaming and shouting about going back to windows just to get attention.

I personally have stopped helping people out in midforum when they mention this to me.

Kevdog,

Save your little tirade for other people who do fit the very category you are lamenting about (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=753413) .My post was neither a complaint or a personal accusation against you or any other member of the forum. Never have I flamed anyone, posted tantrums or made demands over what is free support. My posts on here bear that out, so don't make judgmental comments before doing your research. In fact I thanked you (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4125631&postcount=159) for your thread on manually configuring Network Manager as It reduced my dependency on Windows .

I meant that It's a shame when the users ask for help but are ignored, yet they are inundated when they make posts stating their intention to return to Windows. Rather than speculating on why I didn't receive any replies, a more rational move would've been to check out the posts (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=721000) in question (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713168).

Chill out and take a breather :)

tubasoldier
April 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM
These "I'm going back to windows" threads are rather annoying. It doesn't matter what kind of support you are doing people like this will pop up.

When I was doing tech support for the iPod I recieved a phone call from a particularly irate man. He threatened to report me to my superiors for not properly helping him. He also threatened to take his iPod back. So after a few personal attacks from this man I finally told him to do it. "Take your damn iPod back. I don't care. I'm not making commission. I have tried to help you according to the guidelines Apple has set up. You don't want to follow them. So I'll just put you back on hold and you can wait another 20 minuites. So either calm the hell down and we can work through this together or you can go through all this again with another support agent. Because sir, I really don't give a damn!"
Needless to say after letting him know how things work he was able to relax enough to get his iPod working correctly. Some people just need a good slap across the face every now and then.

aysiu
April 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
What are you talking about?? Shouldn't have come to that in the first place? You act like other users of the forum have the responsibility to answer your post. This is a volunteer forum. Your post possibly wasn't answered since maybe nobody knew the solution, people were busy, people had their own problems to deal with, people were not reading the forums that day, or just maybe you really were not phrasing your description of your problem in a way that made sense. Uh, no. In these situations, the frustrated user usually posts a polite thread with no satisfactory answers, and then posts an angry "I'm going back to Windows" rant and suddenly gets a flood of helpful posts.

Where were these helpful posts when the user asked politely? I don't know. If you don't have time to answer, don't answer at all--that's okay. But if you have both the knowledge and the time to answer, answer when the question is asked politely... don't wait until someone throws a tantrum. All you're doing then is reinforcing bad behavior.

kevdog
April 14th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Jay Jay

My comment was not a personal attack on you or your threads. There are many threads I have started that I never received an answer. I posted in a different way and even still they were not answered. I figured after a while it is possible no one new the answer. For some of the questions I contacted the developer's forum directly and that did the trick. Other questions are still answered to this day. Yes I wish I had received some answers however in no way ever expect that all of my questions will be answered. I'm disappointed however don't hold any expectations that I am demanded an answer to every single question I pose. I wish others held a similar expectation.

jacob01
April 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
i completely agree with you i hate when people threaten to go back to windows, and still we see it so often.

compared to other forums this one is pretty light on rules, other forums people can get blacklisted for just saying a certain phase or abreviation such as the bungie forums. You can get blacklisted for just saying "bk" in a post, "bk" meaning bad kid

lol a reply to one of those threats,

"good go"

barnacleboy
April 14th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I don't mind people ranting, sometimes it's nice to vent. I considered staying on Windows myself after many unsuccessful attempts to install Ubuntu on my laptop. Sometimes it isn't easy.

Remember what 'ubuntu' means, people. Even if all they need is a gentle push in the direction of the search button. :)

Trail
April 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Sticky please :)

Scotty Bones
April 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
These "I'm going back to windows" threads are rather annoying. It doesn't matter what kind of support you are doing people like this will pop up.

When I was doing tech support for the iPod I recieved a phone call from a particularly irate man. He threatened to report me to my superiors for not properly helping him. He also threatened to take his iPod back. So after a few personal attacks from this man I finally told him to do it. "Take your damn iPod back. I don't care. I'm not making commission. I have tried to help you according to the guidelines Apple has set up. You don't want to follow them. So I'll just put you back on hold and you can wait another 20 minuites. So either calm the hell down and we can work through this together or you can go through all this again with another support agent. Because sir, I really don't give a damn!"
Needless to say after letting him know how things work he was able to relax enough to get his iPod working correctly. Some people just need a good slap across the face every now and then.

I had similar experiences while working for SONY tech support. (one guy had me on speaker phone with his wife egging him on in the background) Sometimes you just have to put people in their place before they are willing to accept your help.

tsward28
April 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm leaving Ubuntu after multiple attemps of trying to get my Verizon Wireless Network Card to work. I have read many post and have made multiple attemps with no success. However, I see it as a lack in my ability to configure this thing, not as a shortfall in Ubuntu. I hope that the latest release of Ubuntu will have a "Plug N Play" for my card, and I plan on trying again once the new release is finished. Ubuntu and other Windows alternatives are great (if for nothing else but to keep windows moving forward). Keep up the good work and thanks for all of the volunteering you guys do.

PatsyPoo
April 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have only been trying to use Ubuntu for about 4 days now and I've had to carry on using my Vista because my wifi card doesn't work with Linux. I must admit, I have struggled with it but tried EVERY SUGGESTION I was given.
I have ordered a pcmcia card to use alongside the card that's built in to see if that's going to work - I hope it does but you never know...
However, I will not give up and uninstall it and to then go BACK TO WINDOWS... Neither will I post a tantrum threatening to go back to Vista...
After all, like it's been mentioned before, transitioning from one OS to another shouldn't be taken lightly! Do your research properly and until you're 100% sure Ubuntu is going to be the OS for you, keep falling back on Windows like I am!
As to the ranters: NO ONE POINTED A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND MADE YOU SWITCH, DID THEY?
:razz:

kevdog
April 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
PatsyPoo

I wish you luck in your networking endeavors. If you need help drop me a line. I hang out usually in the Networking Forums. My success rate is fairly decent although I cant help everyone.

SuperMike
April 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
My latest wish for Ubuntu is that someone either find a hack to get NetFlix streaming video (for video on demand) to work, completely bypassing browser detection, OS detection, and DRM checks -- OR, they get NetFlix to find a way for Ubuntu Linux users to be able to watch. I mean, after all, I am paying for the service.

aysiu
April 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
OR, they get NetFlix to find a way for Ubuntu Linux users to be able to watch. I mean, after all, I am paying for the service. That was one of several reasons I stopped paying for the service.

caravel
April 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The main issue with wireless as I understand it is the drivers for wireless NICs? This isn't GNU/Linux or Ubuntu's fault, it's the hardware manufacturer's fault for not providing drivers. Personally I don't use/need wireless lan and don't like the idea of it. If it every becomes necessary then I'll give it a go, but until then no, I prefer my trouble free wired connection.

I'm sure I've made a "back to windows" thread at some point.

**goes off to check**

:lolflag:

dgoodma
April 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Can't go back, because I never left.

Work, Windows
Wife's computer, Windows (yes, Vista)
Play time, and to irritate the status quo at work, I dual-boot Windows and Linux, used to be Ubuntu, but too frustrated with simple things, so I tried Mint, love it. The Ubuntu community is great though.
Ubuntu on another laptop at work, again to make people wonder, what the heck is he up to... looking forward to putting 8.04 on it.

Really wanting one of the small laptops, that will definitely be Linux based.

The only platform I will stay away from is the MAC stuff.... not a rich man.