PDA

View Full Version : Progress, It's a beautiful thing

Edward Nigma
April 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi everyone. Just like to introduce myself, name's Edward, I'm a software engineer at Borland Software Corp. Been using Linux off and on (with the occasional skip back to Windows) since about 1998 with my first distro (Debian Slink, off a CD with many missing packages!). I have to say the progress being made with ubuntu is absolutely superb. Wireless is something I expected Ubuntu to struggle with in particular, it handled everything with ease. This is perhaps partly testament to my having a reasonably popular chipset (RALINK) yet still, I was connected with ease and grace, it was satisfying.

Now running the current stable version on the Dell Vostro 400 I picked up for a bargain price a few months ago, using a MS VMware image for the likes of tversity and other windows nececessities. It is an absolute pleasure to use and a great credit to the developers who give their free time up to make it happen.

Anyway, thats my gushing enthusing session over and done with.

Ed

Saint Angeles
April 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
just wait for hardy... it will rock your socks off!!

Edward Nigma
April 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I can't wait! I'm assuming I can just change my apt sources and do a dist-upgrade? I have SSH set up so I can do it from work as soon as everything's ready and have it waiting when I get home :-)

Paqman
April 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM

No problem, we're always open to gushing enthusiasm!

aeiah
April 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
glad you're enjoying ubuntu :D what do you use tversity for? (i just checked it out and its a pretty amazing app, im gonna force a windows and wii using friend to try it out). if you're using it as a normal UPnP server / receiver there may be native linux options available

odiseo77
April 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I can't wait! I'm assuming I can just change my apt sources and do a dist-upgrade?

I wouldn't advice you to do this, since you can break your Gutsy installation easily. In my opinion, it's better to wait for some weeks and do a fresh install.

Anyway, enjoy your Ubuntu experience :)

Edward Nigma
April 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
glad you're enjoying ubuntu :D what do you use tversity for? (i just checked it out and its a pretty amazing app, im gonna force a windows and wii using friend to try it out). if you're using it as a normal UPnP server / receiver there may be native linux options available

Unfortunately it's the transcoding in particular I'm interested in. Though they may eventually release a Linux version!

Tristam Green
April 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Ed

Sweet testimonial :) Now when can we expect you to write the code for a television set-top box that can read people's memories and control their minds?:popcorn: