PDA

View Full Version : United Marketing Crusade

Killer Cop
April 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hey all.

I just though it all through with Ubuntu making into the market share and so on...

And I though how Ubuntu stands now, and how much momentum we gain for the moment. And how Vista and other OS's are going compared. And how on earth we are to convince people that Ubuntu is not a big hoax for destroying your computer an so on.

I think it's going real good right now for Ubuntu. And I have no doubt that Ubuntu will be the leading Linux format to compete with Microsoft products now and in the future. But how long will it take with this momentum? I think it would take years of many years to achieve a noticable share in the operating system market with this momentum.

And then I though "What can we do about it?. How can we change the pace that Ubuntu is spread to all people?".

And then I came with the immidiate idea of a global marketing campaign. A campaign that reaches all the masses through TV promotion, banner/poster promotion and much more. And I think it is a really great idea, because the time could not be better arranged. With Vista being 1.5 years old now and a flop (I think I can call it that), Windows 7 to be released in about 2 years (which most likely is going to be another failure from Microsoft), and the next Ubuntu LTS will be released at aprox. same time, preparing a united marketing crusade now could be crucial and hard hitting on that time. Can you imagine it?

Now most of you probably think "How are we going to pay for all that?". And it a good question, for I think the Ubuntu Foundation don't have enough money for carrying this alone. But if the Ubuntu Foundation could manage to initiate a donation "campaign" for the next 2 years I think we could have enough money for that very marketing crusade. Wikipedia has done it several times. And many other. Why can't we? Don't you think it's time to give something back for all what The Ubuntu Foundation has given us?

If we could built a capital in these 2 years, we will be able to spread the word of would be the next (kick-***) Ubuntu LTS which most likely will be a heck of a release compared to now, and it will be perfect timing to put ubuntu into perspective with Windows 7, for people.

What are your thoughts?

I think it's time to give something back and promote what we really love.

Glaxed
April 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Good idea.
Heard of Ubuntu's brainstorm?
Post this there, and then get people to vote for it, I will.

Killer Cop
April 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Good idea.
Heard of Ubuntu's brainstorm?
Post this there, and then get people to vote for it, I will.

Thank you for your reply. I have posted it now. :-)

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6632/

Glaxed
April 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I really do love that site. :D

Killer Cop
April 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I really do love that site. :D

Yeah, it's actually pretty good! I just browsed it a bit, many good proposals.

Blue Heron
April 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
And then I came with the immidiate idea of a global marketing campaign.

1. Create an Ubuntu Promo Video and upload it at youtube
2. Start to convince your local PC Sellers to sell Ubuntu PCs
3. buy 100 CD-R's and burn Hardy Heron to them, and give them away in your school

Glaxed
April 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
3. buy 100 CD-R's and burn Hardy Heron to them, and give them away in your school

I've stopped doing that.
High Schoolers can be extremely annoying, ignorant, or just really dumb.
It takes time and money to do that, and the effectiveness ratio of converted Ubunteers to people who dont care is something like 4/30 out of the people I got to.

YouTube idea is good.
>>> TO all people who are about to upload more Compiz Fusion vids;
Compiz Fusion is pretty awesome, but thats not the only good thing about Ubuntu. How 'bout other themes, like community, or speed, or ease of use..

TeraDyne
April 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
YouTube idea is good.
>>> TO all people who are about to upload more Compiz Fusion vids;
Compiz Fusion is pretty awesome, but thats not the only good thing about Ubuntu. How 'bout other themes, like community, or speed, or ease of use..

I'll agree with that.

Hey, how about having the community members make their own commercial for Ubuntu. Personally, I'd love to see what everyone can come up with. If I had the equipment, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Edit: The best commercial I've seen is this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TTHCYjFWqHA&feature=related
They should put that video on ubuntu.com's front page.

Blue Heron
April 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I've stopped doing that.
High Schoolers can be extremely annoying, ignorant, or just really dumb.
It takes time and money to do that, and the effectiveness ratio of converted Ubunteers to people who dont care is something like 4/30 out of the people I got to.

Hey 4/30 is a good ratio, in comprehension to the market percentages.
But not satisfying as well.

I just can speak for the German Ubuntu scene:
there you have people, which are really anti-commercial, any kind of mainstream advertise is seen as negative.

The People may have the technical apprehension, but not the economically apprehension.

There are gatherings, e.g. the "Linux Tag" (a kind of mini Linux exhibition), but it's clear that you don't reach the Mainstream Windows user there, only the enthusiasts. :(

Killer Cop
April 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
1. Create an Ubuntu Promo Video and upload it at youtube
2. Start to convince your local PC Sellers to sell Ubuntu PCs

First, I'm not good enough yet to make Ubuntu commercials.

Second, Hardy Heron is beta.

Third, my local PC sellers ain't global, and they will most likely not convert to Ubuntu because why should they listen to a random guy saying so?

- - -

I think a professional global marketing is alot better idea, TV ads doesn't need to be made by a company, you could gather all the good Ubuntu designers and make a good one.

Blue Heron
April 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
First, I'm not good enough yet to make Ubuntu commercials.

Second, Hardy Heron is beta.

Third, my local PC sellers ain't global, and they will most likely not convert to Ubuntu because why should they listen to a random guy saying so?

- - -

I think a professional global marketing is alot better idea, TV ads doesn't need to be made by a company, you could gather all the good Ubuntu designers and make a good one.

I give you 3 marketing methods that may work, an you tell me about a hypothetical idea of a "a professional global marketing" :confused:

Microsoft has enough money to run such a campaign, Canonical is nothing against Microsoft: 130 vs 79,000 Employees.

Actually there are enthusiasts, like I mentioned the German Ubuntu division - but as I said: these people see Ubuntu as their hobby - the economically aspect doesn't matter.