PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Anyone know what this thing is called?

I am trying to get some bullet points to align nicely, but it's not working, so I need to read up on how this 'thing' works :)

Thanks

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ruler, mate.

ad_267
April 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I think they're called tab stops: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Getting_Started/Setting_tab_stops_and_indents

Also you may want to try changing the indents and spacing options in the paragraph formatting rather than fiddling with those.

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
wieman01,

Oh, I thought it was called something else. Hmm thanks :)

ad_267,

Thanks, I didn't know what the stopper was called

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
While we are in the Cafe, do you mind if I kept using your title, PE? It kind of looks nice.

Joeb454
April 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I've never really thought of what they're called :p

I've just known how to use them :)

Tundro Walker
April 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
That can get tricky. In MS Word, you can set different tab stops in the bullets menu (EG: distance between page border to bullet, and bullet to start of text) in addition to the tab stops you can set in paragraph formatting.

Personally, I wouldn't use the tab-stop ruler. It's an annoying device that lures (suckers) folks into a lot of manual tweaking.

Instead, highlight the bullets/text you want to format, and create a new Style that has the proper bullet indents, paragraph formatting, etc that you want. Then, you just find all your other bulleted text and apply the same style to them. With them all using the same style, you can later modify the style directly (maybe change the bullet indentation), and all the text using that style will auto-correct itself to take your changes into account. It's basically style sheets, but for office documents.

Open Office should operate in pretty much the same way.

urukrama
April 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Someone will suggest using Latex... :-\" :D

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your input so far,

wieman01,

Yes please feel free to use my title, but I do hope you like Arabic coffee! :)

Tundro Wlker,

Thanks for the tip. I am using a rather outdated version of MS Powerpoint, namely 2000. I shall check to see if the features you mention exist there.

urukrama,

Latex for a powerpoint presentation? I didn't even know that was possible

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
wieman01,

Yes please feel free to use my title, but I do hope you like Arabic coffee! :)
Oh, very much.

mali2297
April 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Latex for a powerpoint presentation? I didn't even know that was possible

Check out Beamer (http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/).

popch
April 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The whole thing is called the 'ruler', as has been said. That's "Lineal" in German. The individual marks are tab stops (as has been said, too), margins and indents.

I think those very valuable tools as they allow me to visually design a layout. Once I have 'dragged' a paragraph to my liking, I can still declare it to be a 'template' (or "Vorlage" in German).

Visually adjusting the tabs and margin for a number of paragraphs at the same time can greatly speed up the process of defining the layout and templates and so on.

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The whole thing is called the 'ruler', as has been said. That's "Lineal" in German. The individual marks are tab stops (as has been said, too), margins and indents.

I think those very valuable tools as they allow me to visually design a layout. Once I have 'dragged' a paragraph to my liking, I can still declare it to be a 'template' (or "Vorlage" in German).

Visually adjusting the tabs and margin for a number of paragraphs at the same time can greatly speed up the process of defining the layout and templates and so on.
"Vorlage", I have learned something new today. :-)

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Hallo popch, ich bedanke mich für diese ausführliche Erklärung ;)

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hallo popch, ich bedanke mich für diese ausführliche Erklärung ;)
Ich mich auch (= same here).

PartisanEntity
April 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
wieman01 speaks German??

wieman01
April 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
wieman01 speaks German??
:-)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

popch
April 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
You're both welcome.