PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu challeng? How to spread?Specially to Sri Lankan?

ravindukelum
April 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
:lolflag:How to spread UBUNTU in Sri Lanka ,actually using more linux versions but now stick to ubuntu I think IT'S THE BEST having GNOME with compiz fusion and Beryl..but how to spread.. only with ubuntu cd nobody can't get the maximum because we need faster internet connection in sri lanka it's a problem..if we wanna gain popularity we should supply people minimum ability to even play music video or song or burn dvd..because we don't have most wanted packages and proprietary package in built we face problems. i thin if we want make it popular we wanna an initiative if we can provide even with Gstreamer plugins or VGA driver we can promote it i think ubuntu ultimate is another alternative...let's get together .............:guitar:

madjr
April 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
:lolflag:How to spread UBUNTU in Sri Lanka ,actually using more linux versions but now stick to ubuntu I think IT'S THE BEST having GNOME with compiz fusion and Beryl..but how to spread.. only with ubuntu cd nobody can't get the maximum because we need faster internet connection in sri lanka it's a problem..if we wanna gain popularity we should supply people minimum ability to even play music video or song or burn dvd..because we don't have most wanted packages and proprietary package in built we face problems. i thin if we want make it popular we wanna an initiative if we can provide even with Gstreamer plugins or VGA driver we can promote it i think ubuntu ultimate is another alternative...let's get together .............:guitar:

yes, ubuntu ultimate or linuxmint would solve that problem ;)

drascus
April 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Wow what's going on in Sri lanka there was someone posting to the developers list the other day looking for Cd's and such I didn't know that there was such interest there. That is cool!! I understand like in many parts of the world the internet connection there is bad. However because of certain laws in many countries and probably in yours too Ubuntu cannot include Mp3 and DVD playback by default in their software. At least not yet. There is a growing contingency of people working on getting rid of software patents that would allow us to more freely distribute that Software. Please get in touch with the Free Software Foundation for more info. http://www.fsf.org The best thing I could suggest is to start A loco Team in Sri Lanka and try to get a hold of as many ship it CD's As possible. That way you don't need to download Ubuntu you can just hand it out to people. If you want DVD and Mp3 playback distribute copies of the packages to people. I understand doing this by hand is not the quickest way but with slow internet connection its a good second option.

Google Spider
April 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I aggree with OP. Internet connection is a problem in my country too....Ubuntu ultimate and Mint have all the codecs and all but you still need a connection to install the propritery driver.