PDA

View Full Version : Weres all the MS servers?

swoll1980
April 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I Installed server spy on firefox a little bit ago and I have yet to come across a
MS server I thought it might not work right so I went to microsoft.com and sure enough they were using an MS server. 90% of the servers for all my favorite sites use an apache server the others use lighttpd and google has it's own server
I thought MS still had the market share on servers but from what I see know thats not the case at all.

tubasoldier
April 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Microsoft has never had the market share on servers. As far as the latest statistics they are only 30 something percent. In the server market they are quite weak. Those who know this don't use it.

kutjara
April 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I Installed server spy on firefox a little bit ago and I have yet to come across a
MS server I thought it might not work right so I went to microsoft.com and sure enough they were using an MS server. 90% of the servers for all my favorite sites use an apache server the others use lighttpd and google has it's own server
I thought MS still had the market share on servers but from what I see know thats not the case at all.

I think you'll probably find that MS servers are used in small companies, which only need to string a few desktops together and occasionally throw some email at them. Such companies may use IIS to shove out a web page or two, but any firm serious about it's image will either have its own industrial-strength server setup (running Apache) or will use a hosted solution with a service provider (also running Apache).

Of course, there are a lot more small companies than large ones, so MS can claim market dominance in terms of sheer number of installations. Never mind that these servers are running nothing more complicated than Exchange.

toupeiro
April 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Apache does not equal non-microsoft, it equals non-IIS...

the remark about windows servers is far from the truth. I've supported thousands of them over the course of my career. Seeing what web server a server is running doesn't mean anything about the backend. I'd have less of an opposed opinion of that statement if you were just talking web servers, but if you want to generalize to servers, thats a large falsity.

runningwithscissors
April 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think you'll probably find that MS servers are used in small companies, which only need to string a few desktops together and occasionally throw some email at them. Such companies may use IIS to shove out a web page or two, but any firm serious about it's image will either have its own industrial-strength server setup (running Apache) or will use a hosted solution with a service provider (also running Apache).Orly?
GoDaddy.com (that huge and nasty domain registrar) parks the domains booked through it on IIS. It's own website is run on Windows. Myspace.com (serving up a sea of ********) runs on Windows servers. As do many other popular and heavy-traffic websites. Windows' ~30%+ market share in webservers is quite significant, and dare I say, it is noticeably on the rise.

samjh
April 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM

You're talking about only web servers there.

From what I've seen, MS Windows Server is very popular as database servers running MS SQL Server with tools built using the .NET Framework. They're also popular as e-mail servers with MS Exchange Server.

Web servers also run on MS Windows Server, but may not use IIS as the actual web server. Obviously Apache is more popular for that sort of thing, but be mindful that Apache runs on Windows too, not just Linux. There are a lot of MS Windows boxes running Apache.

Paqman
April 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
You're talking about only web servers there.

So is the OP, though.

drascus
April 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Microsoft has never had a market share in servers. What's the incentive to use microsoft servers. They are expensive and offer almost no technical benefit over cheaper options. Most cheaper options actually offer more in terms of speed and flexibility.

runningwithscissors
April 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Microsoft has never had a market share in servers. What's the incentive to use microsoft servers. They are expensive and offer almost no technical benefit over cheaper options. Most cheaper options actually offer more in terms of speed and flexibility.

1) Microsoft does have a significant market-share in the middle and low-end server market.
2) Finding a guy who knows how to admin Windows is cheaper and easier than finding a guy who knows how to admin *nix.