PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Selection

kgriff
April 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I am currently building a system for my wife. I'm new to Ubuntu, and this will be her first Ubuntu (or any Linux distro, for that matter) PC. Additionally, it will be my first "Built for Ubuntu" machine. I've got several motherboards selected, and am soliciting any comments/advise about them.
I have had good experience with Gigabyte, Abit, and Asus, but have never used MSI or Biostar. Any comments or advise about the compatibility of these boards would be greatly appreciated. Since this is for my wife, I'd like to have as stable a system as possible. She's finally decided to take the Linux plunge, and I'd like it be a pleasant experience for her so she doesn't decide to go back to Windows.

Gigabyte:
M57SLI-S4
MA770-S3 (or MA770-DS3)

Abit:
AN52V

Asus:
M2N-SLI

MSI
K9A2 CF-F

Biostar
A770 A2+

kgriff
April 10th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I posted this yesterday, then realized I had perhaps posted in the wrong forum, so I had it moved.
Please reply if you have any experience, good or bad, with any of these boards.

unknown03
April 10th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I have the Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 and its been awesome so far.. Also I heard it had support for Linux BIOS but I'm not sure

I've never had an experience with MSI where their products werent junk -- but thats up to you. Read the user ratings, particularly the negative reviews (from, lets say, newegg.com) and see which board has the most consistent problems and stay away from it..

The law of averages says that people will get bad products and SOMETHING wont work, but if its a popular problem then its just poor quality control

HansKisaragi
April 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
My old pc had M2N wifi edition and i had some problems with the wifi on that one.

My new pc have "MSI K9N NEO-F V3" and i can recommend it for linux pcs

Wifi tips.. CNet Wireless-G PCI 54 Mbps 802.11g .. 2 clicks and i was online after installing 8.04 beta