PDA

View Full Version : Making Video Presentation

eukreign
October 13th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I need to make a video presentation of a framework that I have developed for work. I work remotely so they are asking me to pre-record it and send it to them. I figure that the easiest way to do this is to just record what I'm doing on the computer (like a video screenshot) and add my voice to the video track explaining what's going on.

Are there tools available to do this in linux? Has anyone made such presentations/tutorials?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lovechild
October 13th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Istanbul, then you can probably overlay a vorbis soundtrack if the created screencast in theora isn't enough explaination.

eukreign
October 13th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Istanbul, then you can probably overlay a vorbis soundtrack if the created screencast in theora isn't enough explaination.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this software seems to be really buggy. The recording only shows the first few seconds and even that is not very smooth. If i let it run for more than say 10 seconds then it just freezes when I try to stop recording and save the video.

Have you been able to use Istanbul successfuly? If so I will keep trying and/or send a message to the mailing list otherwise i'd like to look for something else.

Are there any other ideas other than istanbul?

trash
October 13th, 2005, 04:57 AM
i haven't tried it but i think what you want is xvidcap

skirkpatrick
October 13th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I knew I should have bookmarked that link! I did see a nice program mentioned here in the forums to do just that but I can't remember where it was. I think it was in one of the Windows->Linux applications threads.

Well, after 20 minutes of forum searches and googling, I still can't find it :(

eukreign
October 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM
i haven't tried it but i think what you want is xvidcap

I'll try it, thanks for the tip.