PDA

View Full Version : no sound in zsnes

vontez
December 8th, 2004, 04:06 AM
I'm trying to be nostalgic with zsnes, but the sound isn't working. There aren't too many sound options within zsnes itself for me to play with. Has anyone ran into this problem before? I'm using an hp pavilion zt3000 laptop with ubuntu warty (obviously).

poofyhairguy
December 8th, 2004, 04:09 AM
I'm trying to be nostalgic with zsnes, but the sound isn't working. There aren't too many sound options within zsnes itself for me to play with. Has anyone ran into this problem before? I'm using an hp pavilion zt3000 laptop with ubuntu warty (obviously).

try running it as a super user. put

sudo zsnes

in console

vontez
December 9th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Great, running zsnes as root fixed my sound problem.

I added a zsnes menu icon to my Gnome applications menu. Is there a way I can get the program to launch with regular user privileges? Or can I edit my zsnes.desktop file to launch the program as root?

Thanks for the help so far!

DoubleDangerClub
December 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
For some reason, even running zsnes as sudo doesn't get my sound working, any ideas? All my other sound works systemwide though. I have an Allegro card.

saBrEwolf
December 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Have you guys considered using Snes9x? Its works like a dream on my system and has sound. (The only thing it doesn't do unless root is fullscreen, which is a pain). There's a graphical tool also, GSnes9x, its gtk1, but it makes life easier.

jpvcx
December 13th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hello,

You need to install libsdl1.2debian-esd (or alsa if you don't use esd) from universe. Libsdl1.2debian-oss conflicts with Libsdl1.2debian-esd, so apt/synaptic will remove it. Sound should work with zsnes after that. (It should also work in other sdl applications.)

dfreer
May 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
check out my AMD64 repository in my sig.
even though it is an AMD64 repository I have 32-bit zsnes 1.51 and pSX in there, simply apt-get install zsnes. it is compiled with libao support so that sound doesn't sound scratchy, and it may fix your no sound issues. good luck!

dresnu
May 22nd, 2007, 05:39 PM
try what's suggested on the second post in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442192&highlight=zsnes+sound.

It worked for me by just leaving esd though. This fixed also sound to other games.

bigdee973
August 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
u dont need to mess with no configurations or nothing simply open up terminal..copy and paste this...

zsnes -ad sdl

sound should work perfect... dont type in sudo...that will only allow sound for root... by typing it just that way i gave it to u, all u'll have to do is click the link that was already made and it will work with sound... works perfect

varonbondumb
August 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
u dont need to mess with no configurations or nothing simply open up terminal..copy and paste this...

zsnes -ad sdl

sound should work perfect... dont type in sudo...that will only allow sound for root... by typing it just that way i gave it to u, all u'll have to do is click the link that was already made and it will work with sound... works perfect

this worked great, thanks :guitar:

kessaris
September 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Thank you that works well!

Just to clarify, we only need to run the code once and the zsnes will continue to operate in the same fashion when clicking its link from the games menu!

entic
September 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Using zsnes -ad sdl did, indeed, activate my sound, but it's very scratchy... any ideas?

bigdee973
October 1st, 2008, 03:28 AM
Using zsnes -ad sdl did, indeed, activate my sound, but it's very scratchy... any ideas?

not too sure but try opening ZSNES..CLICK CONFIG>SOUND and make sure that you have your sound sampling rate @ 48000HZ just click the sample rate box (the box with the green numbers right under sample rate) usually its 38000hz or so just click that area once at a time til its at 48000hz tell me if that works.. do that and then close zsnes or even reboot the computer and see if it works let me know

jsenlai
January 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM

zsnes -ad sdl

finally!! after those advice of installing this and that and didn't do any good! Thanks Alot!!

aryangor
December 20th, 2009, 10:31 PM

zsnes -ad sdl

worked for me 100% !!! thanQ :KS

bigdee973
October 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
thanks i didnt discover this. i got it from another thread i seen and decided to share. sometimes u should look at manual pages for any program...almost every program installed in linux have man pages that will give you a list options/switches (e.g. zsnes -ad) and what the switches do...sometimes u can get a positive result if u open up a program with a set a switches (e.g. zsnes -dd -ad etc)... to view man pages just open up Terminal and type man plus the program name (e.g. man zsnes , man pidgin, man whateverprogram)