PDA

View Full Version : North American Accent in Britain

Rom2006
October 13th, 2005, 01:54 AM
In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?

PatrickMay16
October 13th, 2005, 02:08 AM
If someone in Britain hears someone with an American accent, they think "ah, an American person". People will have mixed reactions to the fact of you being American.
Myself, if I see someone from any other country, I think of them as just another person. Whether they come from America, China, Japan, or any country, it doesn't matter so much to me.

Though maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question. I'll ask my sister; she knows more than me.

EDIT: I asked my sister. This is what she said:

(02:12:08) Patrick: In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?
(02:12:48) Patrick's sister: I'm not sure if people assign a class to the American accent
(02:13:14) Patrick's sister: some people might jsut think of it as "foreign" and therefore in a sort of class of its own
(02:13:51) Patrick's sister: but southern American accents are probably thought of as low class
(02:14:01) Patrick's sister: "trailor trash" stereotypes
(02:14:11) Patrick: Ah, I see.

mstlyevil
October 13th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Hey!!!!! We like our MANUFACTURED homes in the south! Do not call them trailers. We just like wheels on our homes thank you very much. :p

aysiu
October 13th, 2005, 02:45 AM
As Patrick's sister says, it probably depends largely on region. Sure, the average Briton may not be able to tell the difference between a Boston and a Maine accent, but Oregon and Mississippi sound quite different.

It's the same the other way around--"Queen's English" sounds different from cockney, but most Americans don't know the difference between a Liverpudlian and someone from New Castle, though they're quite distinct.

mstlyevil
October 13th, 2005, 02:47 AM
As Patrick's sister says, it probably depends largely on region. Sure, the average Briton may not be able to tell the difference between a Boston and a Maine accent, but Oregon and Mississippi sound quite different.

It's the same the other way around--"Queen's English" sounds different from cockney, but most Americans don't know the difference between a Liverpudlian and someone from New Castle, though they're quite distinct.

You definately know when someone is Welsh or Scottish just by the accent. Of course when the Welsh speak welsh you cannot understand them at all.

Ride Jib
October 13th, 2005, 04:05 AM
(02:12:0 Patrick: In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?
(02:12:4 Patrick's sister: I'm not sure if people assign a class to the American accent
(02:13:14) Patrick's sister: some people might jsut think of it as "foreign" and therefore in a sort of class of its own
(02:13:51) Patrick's sister: but southern American accents are probably thought of as low class
(02:14:01) Patrick's sister: "trailor trash" stereotypes
(02:14:11) Patrick: Ah, I see.

That's funny, because us Americans tend to think the same thing... at least those of us not from the south!!

BoyOfDestiny
October 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM
In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?

Just do what my dad's friend did. Use a fake british accent, he claims they were friendlier toward him.

I can do a variety myself. The secret: Monty Python. Pick up some flying circuses, and/or some of the films and practice a bit.

A few things I've observed:
bathroom == water closet (w.c.)
apartment == flat
elevator == lift
fries == chips
chips == crisps

And I noticed Terry pronounced privacy as (prih-vacy)

Anyway, that's my advice. In case you want to type in a more european way, add some u's (note the extra g in a wagon.)

"Wow mate, your waggon is an odd colour!"

:razz:

Sirin
October 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Dude, you're just obsessed with accents, aren't you? ;)

Rom2006
October 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Just do what my dad's friend did. Use a fake british accent, he claims they were friendlier toward him.

Hmm. I tried that with someone over the phone. It didn't work. :( They weren't convinced. They just thought it was a funny sounding North American accent.

primeirocrime
October 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM
are you on a secret mission? or an actor?

ngms27
October 13th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't think it would be an issue as Britain is the largest multicultural society on the Planet.

At least we would be able to understand you which cannot be said for 10% of our population including Tony Blair!

JonnyT