PDA

View Full Version : share your computer experience story

MONODA
April 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well I am starting this thread since I was bored and thought I might post my experience with computers here and ask others about there experience. I am not sure how long this will be and it might be too long and boring for you too read XD. Anyway
I first started using computers in 1997, Austin, Texas. The OS was windows though I am not sure which version. The only memory I have related to computers at that time was that when the shutdown button was clicked and Windows exited, a message on the monitor would show up saying almost exactly the following in brownish reddish text: Windows has exited, it is now safe to shutdown your computer. Does anyone know what OS that is? I also remember playing batman forever (I still have the disk) but I do not know what OS it runs on.
I would use all the junk software that comes with PC's and was very interested with all the applications. I would go through each one in the start menu and learn everything about it. I learned a lot during this time. In 2000, my brother introduced me to the internet and showed me how to connect to it using dial-up. Like any other clueless computer user, I filled the PC with viruses and spyware. I faintly remember a period when the computer would completely randomly freeze up including the mouse.
A few years passed and I was not really interested with computers until I discovered that there were thousands of shareware and freeware applications on sites like softpedia and cnet in 2003. I used my brothers P3 laptop to download the exe's and install them in a directory on my ipod thinking that it would not effect the laptop (yeah right). I think I downloaded about 400 applications. I played with them all and usually uninstalled them. I discovered firefox, GAIM, OpenOffice, thunderbird, sunbird and vlc.
I then came across a game called Little Fighter 2 which was quite fun. In order to unlock some features in the game, you needed to edit a few text files. You could also create new characters using a what was called a data changer and an image editor. Here I came across GIMP to create my sprites. My father saw me typing in the data changer and hex editor and asked if I was writing code for an application. I told him that I was not. Then I googled programming and came across pascal and a very good tutorial. I read this a learned quite a bit of pascal of which I can not remember anything except "iwrite" (I think that is it XD).
Since I was still addicted to downloading new applications, I downloaded what I now remember to be a Debian net installer which was similar to wubi. I had no idea what I was doing but ran it anyway and was presented with the Debian logo and the following phrase written below it: Good-bye windows. I clicked next a few times and it began to download more files which I did not expect; nevertheless, I left it to download but did not expect it to download more than 50 MBs. Once it finished downloading files, it told me to restart and select Debian from the list. to make a long story short, the install failed.
About a year ago, my family computer was driving me crazy, so I looked on amazon for a new one. I looked at a vista basic desktop with 1 GB ram and a pentium 4 processor and thought it would be a good decision. After finding out more about hardware and vista, I realized that it was not. I kept on looking for a new laptop and found the one I wanted which was a HP pavillion dv6000 series laptop with 2 GB ram and a core 2 duo processor (sound familiar?). I also considered buying a macbook which now when I lookback I think I should have done but my brain had been filled with FUD by windows fan boys.Once I got a similar laptop, it cam with vista preinstalled, what a disaster. the first time I turned it on, I got a blue screen LOL. It was slow but i thought it was SOOO pretty. When I tried to shutdown, it wouldnt and the sound and webcame did not work properly and at every bootup I would get a blue screen. this drove me insane! I went looking for alternatives and found linux.
I looked through the website trying to download it but couldnt find a download button. (I thought Linux was an OS not a kernel, I didnt understand the concept of distros). I gave up on it but then I found Ubuntu. I downloaded the iso overnight with a torrent and got a CD from a school classroom, I was really excited but somehow I had this gut feeling that it wouldnt work. I burned the iso and restarted. I had no idea what partitions were but I figured it out by the way it was used in the sentences in the installer. When the installer was partitioning my hard drives so that I could keep vista, i pressed cancel! (yes I now realize how stupid that was lol) I eventually installed it properly (feisty) and was using it and was very happy with it. I got a bunch of problems once I had enabled desktop effects even though I did not realize that that was my problem. I became very frustrated and removed Ubunu from my hard drive and booted up only to get a grub error 7 i think. I booted off the live CD successfully and then tried to boot off the recovery cd to do a system restore which failed. when I rebooted, I did not get the grub error thankfully. I did not touch ubuntu until Gutsy came out. I have been using ubuntu for about 7 months and only ubuntu for about 3. I am currently reading a book about python and am slowly learning. Wow that took a bit of time, now I need to find something else to do... lol

kidux
April 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Holy Wall of Text, Batman!! Dude, try paragraphs, please!

MONODA
April 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
XD sorry about that, I did realize while typing in the small box for posting, I guess you are right. I will fix it.

Bungo Pony
April 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 which I got at a thrift store for $10 back in 1988 (or so). I had no clue what to do with the damn thing, and neither did my uncle who was an electronics wizard. I eventually figured out how to make the computer add (?12+12). After a brief while, I picked up a book on the computer at radio shack for $1 which taught me how to program in BASIC. I was now on my way.

I continued my learning of programming in BASIC when I got a VIC-20 at the rip-off price of $70. I eventually replaced that with a Commodore 64 which I spent hours upon hours programming. I begged my parents to get me a modem so I could connect to BBSes, but they basically said NO.

In school, I began to experience this new thing called the Internet (back in 1995). We were using Win3.11 and Netscape 3.0 to surf the net. It was a bit slow especially when you loaded up lots of images. Eventually, everything moved to Win95 and IE3 which crashed like hell. I REALLY missed the stability of Netscape.

At home (around 1998 ), I got myself my first PC: a used 386 SX-25 which I bought at the local grocery store (yes, you read that right!) I got myself an 33.6 USR internal modem, and was finally able to connect to BBSes. I also discovered someone left their internet account info on the computer, and this is when internet connections were somewhat costly. I ended up using it and running the person's bill up into the hundreds of dollars (oops!)

I eventually installed Win95 and used it well past it's prime (since last year to be exact). I also had the fun of running my own BBS for a year or so on a spare 386 sitting in my living room.

I finally have a newer and decent PC running Ubuntu. I had been thinking of trying Linux since 2001 but didn't take the plunge until 2007 when I got my new PC. I wish I would have done it sooner when I had more time to actually learn Linux, and maybe learn a new programming language.

beercz
April 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
All 20 odd years? You serious?

beercz
April 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
OK, well there are a couple here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176231&page=5 posts #43 and #45

:lolflag:

kidux
April 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
XD sorry about that, I did realize while typing in the small box for posting, I guess you are right. I will fix it.

No prob, dude. My eyes went all cross-eyed when I saw it. :p

The first machine I used was an Apple IIE or something close, been a long time, lol.

My first home machine was an IBM PC-AT, which had 640k of RAM and HDD space, running some version of DOS. Second home machine was a 386 running Win 2 or 3.1, don't remember to well now. Then I got an IBM Thinkpad Boatanchor running 95. Next was a Gateway running 98, which I stupidly downgraded to ME, which then got upgraded to Red Hat 7 because my wife got so frustrated by ME she refused to use it. Then a home built machine which dual booted Slack and XP. XP for gaming, and Slack for everything else. Wifey loved it.

Next was a Laptop which I had to use XP on because I was in Iraq and the domain admins wouldn't let me put a Linux machine on the network because they didn't know diddly about it, and so couldn't guarantee security.

Now I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 with a VM of XP Pro for school and non 3-d accelerated games such as Baldur's Gate.

KhaaL
April 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
In my case, I was born with a keyboard between my teeth. When I was a kid i has a MSX which I had until 93 something, which is when my sister got a 286 by which the time I got to interact with a PC for the first time. I spent a lot of years with that outdated piece and its 20 MB harddisk, AND its b/w monitor.

eventually i saved enough money to get a ol' pentium. 5 years later I got intrested in linux and tried Red Hat 6.0. I tried to do everything within linux, but never managed to stick to it until 2-2,5 years ago which I switched to ubuntu full time.

Now I'm sitting on a AMD 64 5GHz, so I've made quite a leap since I was a kid ;-)