PDA

View Full Version : Xorg configuration

Gauvenator
April 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
When I start X it automatically goes to 1920x1080 (not my native res). In order for it to go to my desired settings I have to enter nvidia-settings, which puts it to my desired resolution automatically. I don't have to mess with any settings, it just automatically goes to the res I configured when I open it.

How can I make it so that it goes to that resolution by default without entering nvidia-settings every time I go into X?

Rumor
April 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Have you tried editing your xorg.conf file to set the resolution you desire?

Which method did you use to generate the file?

kpkeerthi
April 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Open nvidia-settings in super-user mode, change your desired resolution and click on "Save to Xorg" button. This will write the resolution changes to xorg.conf and should stick after reboot.

In a terminal, type

gksu nvidia-settings <press-enter>

or

su <press-enter>
nvidia-settings <press-enter>

Gauvenator
April 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Have you tried editing your xorg.conf file to set the resolution you desire?

Which method did you use to generate the file?

I used nvidia-xconfig as root, then edited our my undesired resolution.

Open nvidia-settings in super-user mode, change your desired resolution and click on "Save to Xorg" button. This will write the resolution changes to xorg.conf and should stick after reboot.

In a terminal, type

gksu nvidia-settings <press-enter>

or

su <press-enter>
nvidia-settings <press-enter>

I'll try that again.

Gauvenator
April 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
OK didn't work. It still defaults to a different res upon entering the X server. But once I enter nvidia-settings it automatically goes to my desired res.

:-k

kpkeerthi
April 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
In super-user mode change the resolution in nvidia-setting and save to xorg.conf. Then add

nvidia-settings -l to the list of auto started applications.

EDIT: Not sure if this would work. But worth a try since you mention resolution fixes by itself when opening nvidia settings. That command has the letter 'L' and not 1 (one)