PDA

View Full Version : switching to Gnu/linux without looking back

drascus
April 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have helped quite a few people switch to gnu/linux and they have not looked back. I hate doing duel boots because I consider it an imperfect solution. My girlfriend has been using it for a while duel booted on her Toshiba. recently we were discussing future legislation to get rid of analog so that people won't be able to make recording without permission (physical DRM basically). She got so annoyed and said "they are taking away our freedoms!!". She then got this strange look on her face like an epiphany that she finally understood what I have been talking about all this time. She then said "Get windows off my computer". That was cool. Made me think. Maybe Freedom is the best way to market Gnu/Linux after all.

TeraDyne
April 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Only if the person truly cares about the freedom aspect. Some care about the cost, some care about the usability, and some only care if it works for their needs. That's the thign about Linux, it's marketable to a lot of different kinds of people, but only if you find the right way to market it to them.

Wobedraggled
April 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The thing that keeps people from committing is usually a piece of software they cant seem to live without. If you can get them working in wine or find a reasonable alternative, then people would be more willing to commit.

Mazza558
April 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
People don't usually associate with computing freedoms alone - they need something else to prove it to them.