PDA

View Full Version : does ubuntu forum send adverticing or not

cmay
April 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
hi
i have recieved yeaterday a personal mail from ubuntu forums.
there is a link to a store that sells apparently anything and everything.
i moved this to trash and when i right now tried to log in i got a message box saying you have a new personal message waiting for response from the same compňany .
what is this ?.
any one else have the same experience.
and how to make this go away so i can use this forum that i will not
wanna miss being a part of.

thanks for your replyes .

in all fairness i have to say i do not have that good eyesight.
maybe i vcan post the message if i have to.

wieman01
April 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Can you post the contents of that personal message? I don't think we send around advertisements... This is odd. You should not be getting these, at least not from UF.

cmay
April 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear cmay,

You have received a new private message at Ubuntu Forums from caifu, entitled "Waiting for your resonse!!!".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Dear friend:
Welcome to visit our company┤s website--- <snip> !!!
Whit the more and more Transnational electronics Enterprise invest in China, for example, SNOY,APPLE,IBM,Interl,NOKIA,and so on! So our China can share its advantage,getting those most popular goods with the favorable price!!!
The OPEN TO THE WORLD strategy let our company close to all the world!!! And our comapny is the large electronic goods wholesaler,we have the cooperation reationship with those Transnational Enterprise, and we can offer our clients with the most popular goods, for example the mobile phone,TVs,laptops,PS3,Apple and some motorcycle......
We send our goods to you by EMS or UPS, DHL.... just takes 4-7 business to North American and European!!!
Now, we are looking forward your response and expecting establish a long ternm and fruitful business relationship!!!

Our offical website: <snip>
MSN/mail: <snip>
Phone Number: <snip>

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://ubuntuforums.org/private.php

All the best,
Ubuntu Forums

wieman01
April 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
This message is SPAM and was not send by us. That's fairly common, we usually block these users and jail their threads immediately but sometimes their PM's get through.

Could you remove the links from your post above? I'll try to find the user in question and ban him/her.

cmay
April 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
i did really not think you send me this .
however i cant figure out how it got there and i dont know how to
remove the links as i am way to not used to using internet yet.
i dont know how to do these things.
can the forum staff not simply delete this as i do think these links are unsafe to click on.

i will delete it from my mailbox once and for all.

thanks for the time.

wieman01
April 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
No problem, I'll do it for you. :-)

As for these messages, the spammer has probably created an account like yours and has started sending personal messages to other users. This happens occasionally. Just ignore these message and report the user, that's fine (use the report button). We take care of it. Thanks for reporting. :-)

cmay
April 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
thanks alot.
i did join the forums becouse i could see from the different warnings about malicius commands treadhs that you care alot about the users of the forums.
thank you .

wieman01
April 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
:-)

We do care a lot. So I hope you'll have a good time in here and enjoy being a member.