PDA

View Full Version : Linux Local Distributors

adredz
April 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Are there any local Linux distributors? Other than ubuntu which delivers installable CDs overseas, it's really hard to access other distros because you have to download them from the internet. That's okay if you have a broadband connection, but if you don't have it is very tedious. It would be great if there are installable CDs of different Linux variants readily avaible anywhere in the country. In that way, Linux awareness will improve. I wish ubuntu is not that bloated so I won't have to pay attention to Slackware...:) If you sell linux intallabe CD 's and you happen to be from mindanao...contact me 09158745399. Thanks!

fela
April 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
there are lots of websites that sell Linux CDs for a few dollars. (google it)

PS. you should get broadband, it's much cheaper AND much much much faster...

prshah
April 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Are there any local Linux distributors? Other than

Why not just go through your local computer magazines and/or book stores? Most books on Ubuntu will include a live CD/DVD and if no magazine has carried ubuntu yet, you can always write in to them and request it.

adredz
April 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
there are lots of websites that sell Linux CDs for a few dollars. (google it)

As far as I know, buying online requires credit card. I don't have any...

PS. you should get broadband, it's much cheaper AND much much much faster...

I am only a student, obviously I can't afford...:(

adredz
April 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Why not just go through your local computer magazines and/or book stores? Most books on Ubuntu will include a live CD/DVD and if no magazine has carried ubuntu yet, you can always write in to them and request it.

I'm sorry, I'm not posting this thread to get ubuntu. Actually I have just received Gutsy from Canonical. No sweat to acquire over-hyped ubuntu. But the other distros, you'll have to take hours of downloading.

dodimar
April 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
If you have a friend that has broadband... you can ask a favor for download....

You can also go to ASTI (in UP Diliman) to get a copy of Bayanihan Linux (Just bring a blank CD).

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Over-hyped? I think you mean well funded.

fela
April 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
i wouldn't agree either that ubuntu is over hyped.

prshah
April 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not posting this thread to get ubuntu. Actually I have just received Gutsy from Canonical. No sweat to acquire over-hyped ubuntu. But the other distros, you'll have to take hours of downloading.

Why not just go through your local computer magazines and/or book stores? Most books on <<insert your distro here>> will include a live CD/DVD and if no magazine has carried <<insert your distro here>> yet, you can always write in to them and request it.

raxso
April 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM
If you dont have broadband you can ask the nearest computer shop to download it for you and just pay for it... heheheheheh :)

adredz
April 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM
If you have a friend that has broadband... you can ask a favor for download....

I don't have. I only have around 4 or 5 friends who have internet connection but not broadband...:(

You can also go to ASTI (in UP Diliman) to get a copy of Bayanihan Linux (Just bring a blank CD).

Bayanihan Linux is great, but it requires lots of work to do to get it going. If I will try to work on it, I think it's not well documented either and there's not much enough user base around.

adredz
April 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM
i wouldn't agree either that ubuntu is over hyped.

ok, but it's certainly bloated.:)

adredz
April 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
If you dont have broadband you can ask the nearest computer shop to download it for you and just pay for it... heheheheheh :)

That would be very expensive. One time I asked one shop to burn a CD for me, the attendant said it would cost me 80 pesos. lol. Anyway I have found a generous friend in Charles Mendoza. He is from Makati I think who offers installable Linux CDs/DVDs for free except the disc of course and the shipment fee. I estimated the cost, it would loosely equal to the cost I will pay if I buy online. Thanks for your suggestions. More power to Linux!:)

killer_d76
April 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
i have extra ubuntu installer cd that i'm willing to give or send it to you for free if you want, since i got it for free as well.. but how much would it cost if i send you the 64 bits and 32 bits version cd installer?, i'm located here in Lagro Caloocan City. ;)

fela
April 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
ok, but it's certainly bloated.:)

i wouldn't agree there either...i think ubuntu comes with virtually everything the average joe computer user needs. It just means you don't need to install loads of extra apps after you've already spent bout 30 minutes installing the OS, not like on windoze. ;)

adredz
April 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
i have extra ubuntu installer cd that i'm willing to give or send it to you for free if you want, since i got it for free as well.. but how much would it cost if i send you the 64 bits and 32 bits version cd installer?, i'm located here in Lagro Caloocan City. ;)

I really appreciate your help, but I need other distros like Slackware other than Ubuntu. Acutually I am testing driving hardy in my pc right now. It's way way better out of the box than the previous releases. I know what I want is a bit irrelevant since this forum is for Ubuntu users. I just don't know where to voice it out...hehe

perbiu
April 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think you mean well funded.

You can feel its powers.
:lolflag:

Samhain13
April 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
That would be very expensive. One time I asked one shop to burn a CD for me, the attendant said it would cost me 80 pesos. lol. Anyway I have found a generous friend in Charles Mendoza. He is from Makati I think who offers installable Linux CDs/DVDs for free except the disc of course and the shipment fee. I estimated the cost, it would loosely equal to the cost I will pay if I buy online. Thanks for your suggestions. More power to Linux!:)

CDO, Cagayan de Oro? You know, we have friends here who are around your general area-- well, maybe not, but at least they're a bit nearer to you. Lowell, I believe is from Davao, and I believe he's more than an "enthusiast" so he'd be a good resource. Perhaps you can make an arrangement with him, something similar to the one you have with Charles? I'm optimistic that Davao-CDO postage will cost a lot less than Makati-CDO.

Hehehe, just an idea. :)

loell
April 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM
heheh ;)
mahina lang din ang net connection ko, eh si OP naman is asking for various linux distros. which i could nt provide. so sana lang maging succesful yung arrangement nya from a generous guy from makati :)

adredz
April 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
heheh ;)
mahina lang din ang net connection ko, eh si OP naman is asking for various linux distros. which i could nt provide. so sana lang maging succesful yung arrangement nya from a generous guy from makati :)

deal not successful hehehe. ewan ko anong nangyari dun.:) pero ok lang tiis nlang ako download 17kbps hehehe

adredz
April 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM
heheh ;)

deal not successful hehehe. ewan ko anong nangyari dun.:) pero ok lang tiis nlang ako download 17kbps hehehe. 3.8 gigs. sabi dto 1 month ang duration lol.

loell
April 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
ano nga pala ang mga distros na kailangan mo?

adredz
April 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
ano nga pala ang mga distros na kailangan mo?

Hindi po mga, Slackware 12 lang pre/kuya/bro hehehe. balak mo ba help me?

loell
April 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
heheh, nakuh Anim na CDs yan, baka naman gusto mo nang ibang slackware based distros? Slax? zenwalk? or Vector kaya? :-D

adredz
April 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
hehehe, slacky talaga need ko e...sabi kc nila mahirap daw ang slacky kya gusto ko itry. and it's the best bet when it comes to learning linux..:) pwede namn yan sa DVD d ba? so isa nlng hehehe

Samhain13
April 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hehe, Loell! Pasensya na at ni-volunteer pa kita. Suggestion lang naman. :)
Anyway, good luck na lang kay adredz sa paghahanap ng source. Susubukan kong bumisita kay Captain Jack Sparrow (*ehem*) at baka may tinda silang Linux. Noon kasi, nakakita ako ng iba't-ibang CDs sa kanila, mga Red Hat-based nga lang. Will get back to you kung makakita ako ng Slackware.

Hehe! Hindi naman siguro tayo mayayari sa OMB kung bibili tayo kay Jack at FOSS naman yung bibilihin natin. :D

loell
April 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
:lolflag:

nagbabaka-sakali din lang naman ako kung makaka tulong ba ako, pero hindi rin talaga, wala kasi akong debede writer eh, sede writer lang ang sa akin.

dodimar
April 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Tingnan ko kung ma-download ko siya. If maging successful ang download and burn. I'll inform you.. and we'll make arrangement for the shipping.

raxso
April 15th, 2008, 04:25 AM
meron ako slack ware 12 DVD kung gusto mo palitan mo lng ng blank dvd. :)

dodimar
April 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM
toinks.. ayun naman pala.. hehehe.. meron ng available... dowbload pa din ako.. test ko nga slack...

adredz
April 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
meron ako slack ware 12 DVD kung gusto mo palitan mo lng ng blank dvd. :)

wow finally..:) pm nlang kta rax k lang ba? pero na pm na kta la ng silbi pag engi ko permission hehehe

adredz
April 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM
toinks.. ayun naman pala.. hehehe.. meron ng available... dowbload pa din ako.. test ko nga slack...

hehehe pag umayaw c rax kaw nlang deal sakin dod! pm ko na xa wait ko nlng repz nya... test mo, aus ang slackware! d best!:) mmmm, k din naman ang ubuntu. hardy heron nga gamit ko ngaun e...)

dodimar
April 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
hehehe... sige... wish ko lang tumulin naman sana ng konti si smart bro para matapos na yung mga downloads ko..

hehehe..

adredz
April 16th, 2008, 04:29 AM
hehehe... sige... wish ko lang tumulin naman sana ng konti si smart bro para matapos na yung mga downloads ko..

hehehe..

thanks..sana bagyohin jan, ay este sana d bagyohin jan hehehe. 384 kbps ba speed mo?:)

dodimar
April 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
384 pero alam mo naman ang smartbro... kanina max ko lang e 250kbps.... continue ko lang download.... inform me kung kakailanganin mo din ng kopya...

:guitar:

adredz
April 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
wow mabilis na yan compared sa 17kbps ko hehehe. gusto ko magswitch sa globe kaya lang d pa covered area namin. mukhang kakailanganin ko dodimar kc d pa nagrepz c rax sakin e...happy downloading :)

Nhatz
April 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ano ba kailangani-download baka makatulong ako... hehehehehe:)
Astig! :guitar:

raxso
April 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
basta pag may kailangn kau na distro sabihin nyo lng sakin palitan nyo lng dvd...... hehehehe

OK ang slackware yun ang first distro ng linux n gamit ko, meron pa akong original cd nun galing sa libro ni volkerding 2.0 pa ata ng slackware yun....

stephencezar
April 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM

bro! can I have a copy to??? :)

I want to try using linux OS, and having a hell of a time obtaining installer. I'm located at Antipolo right now, but I'm willing to pick up the copy and replace the disk too. Medyo kabisado ko nman yang area mo.

Kung pwede lng po.... Thanx!

adredz
April 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I want to try using linux OS, and having a hell of a time obtaining installer. I'm located at Antipolo right now, but I'm willing to pick up the copy and replace the disk too. Medyo kabisado ko nman yang area mo.

ubuntu ba need mo? request ka nalng for free at imported pa..:) here's the link: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

stephencezar
April 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
ubuntu ba need mo? request ka nalng for free at imported pa..:) here's the link: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Kahit ano sana, I heard debian-base dw ung pinaka stable and since ubuntu is debian-based- try ko sana. Ng request na ako pero it would take weeks pa daw. Im doing research at medyo, time bounded kc... kya medyo ng mamadali. :)

raxso
April 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM

Ok lng pm mo lng ako kung anong distro gusto mo. meron pa akong available na kubuntu 7.10

indionine
April 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
PLUG used to have a list of distro-butors. Anyway, if anyone needs any distro, provided that you're near Intramuros, pm me.

dodimar
April 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Finished downloading Slackware...
Finished downloading Xubuntu 8.04

adredz
April 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Finished downloading Slackware...
Finished downloading Xubuntu 8.04

wow! that's nice. i made a deal with sir raxso and he is shipping it next week as soon as i have the money deposited in his account. 150 lang super mura hehehe. thanks for your generosity sir raxso!:) nyway, try it...its cool!

if things go wrong, il contact you bro...:)

dodimar
April 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM
hehe, on the way na pala yung copy sayo...

install mode naman ako ng xubuntu...

dhayfule
May 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Are there any local Linux distributors? Other than ubuntu which delivers installable CDs overseas, it's really hard to access other distros because you have to download them from the internet. That's okay if you have a broadband connection, but if you don't have it is very tedious. It would be great if there are installable CDs of different Linux variants readily avaible anywhere in the country. In that way, Linux awareness will improve. I wish ubuntu is not that bloated so I won't have to pay attention to Slackware...:) If you sell linux intallabe CD 's and you happen to be from mindanao...contact me 09158745399. Thanks!
I have recently become the Local Distributor for Ubuntu CDs in India.
Please check for the Entry Dhayfule Enterprises on http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase/asia

Bye
Regards

Nhatz
May 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
hehe, on the way na pala yung copy sayo...

install mode naman ako ng xubuntu...

OK na Box mo bro? hehehe :D

ASTIG!!! :guitar:

dodimar
May 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
OK na Box mo bro? hehehe :D

hahaha.. xubuntu sa VMware yun..

di pa din okay box ko... hanggang ngaun ang sama ng pakiramdam ko...

kiminaiseah
May 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM
i prepare use debian (4 DVD+1 DVD update)

includes
all linux desktop manager
all library and dependecias (main contrib)

hehe nabiktima rin ako nito pero still nagamit ko sya ng 8months RDN without internet connection,

Nhatz
May 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
i prepare use debian (4 DVD+1 DVD update)

includes
all linux desktop manager
all library and dependecias (main contrib)

hehe nabiktima rin ako nito pero still nagamit ko sya ng 8months RDN with internet connection,

Pwede ako makahingi?