PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody, I've changed my account from elliio to itsanudae !

itsanudae
April 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hello everyone, I have updated my online identity. I've created a new account to go with a fresh start in life, as part of my psychoemotive spring cleaning.

I am now: The Poster Formerly Known As elliio (TPFKAE)

Hope you liked the Prince joke...

Seriously though, I was gettin SPAM and I just wanted a change.

you can reach me through the forums, and my new identity is: itsanudae, but you can call me Leo.

I'm currently getting active with the Xubuntu team, just got home from being out of town so can't do much meaningfully yet, so I thought I would just update my information. And say Goodbye to the Past, Hello to the Future, and OH, Hi Ubuntu Community, we meet again!

To everyone who said hello back to me, let me know if you are interested in, need help with, or can help me with anything related to: Xubuntu, Xfce, Phatch, xorg.conf for HDTVs (mine gave me ayche iiye double hockey sticks for two weeks after wiping and reinstalling Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon amd64... I ran into the necessary nightmare of a custom xorg.conf manually hand edited, and a non-standard resolution: 1280x720@96dpi for an LCD HDTV running through DVI), Thunar, Thunar Plugins, Squeeze, MPD/Sonata on PulseAudio, Changing default Icons hackishly and permanently, Theming, or are a fan of any of the above or below. Oh, and NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP users/refugees, Hello!

I'll post my current shortened list of info in my P.S. line. Jim Campbell on the Xubuntu Team can attest to that! Hi Jim! You too Stani!

You might need some Popcorn to read my siggie... :popcorn:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0 GHz Dualcore)
MB: Shuttle SN27P2 (BareBones)
RAM: 8GB RAM (4x2GB Mushkin)
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro PCI Express
HDD: SATA WD Raptor 150GB 10Krpm / Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
Sound Card: Onboard nForce 4 Ultra MCP
Monitor: Syntax Olevia LT27HV 27" HDTV 1280x720dpi <A B!tch to set up>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distribution:

Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, upgraded to Xfce 4.4.2 via a dist-upgrade by the
Team's PPA's

Currently getting started with the Xubuntu wiki to get my feet wet helping out.

Pet Projects: Sources of my Respect, Esteem, an Joy, (or the lack)

1. Getting my HDTV setup included in the next milestone of Xubuntu for amd64

2. Learning to code (I have a longish list, but I'll start where I left off: Ruby, HTML,
Python)

3. Contribute meaningfully to the Ubuntu community, as well as the Xfce community.

4. Write a various tutorials to ease the transition for other "Switchers" from Windows...
...who didn't switch to a... Mac, but to GNU/Linux instead!

5. Promote the applications/projects I am growing to know and <3

6. Phatch

7. NoteCase

8. getting iRiverter-16 to work, I'm a pro now, and Kawaiiriver is promising as an offshoot, but I am new to The Source and compilation, so there. Though I did get MPlayer to compile correctly on amd64 from sources, just ask.

9. FLAC 1.2.1 and Rubyripper 0.5.0 (ask and I'll help)

10. amd64 issues in general. I have had them since the start, but then I hated Windows XP 64 Pro, so I tried Vista, and well, I cried, then I screamed, then I stared at the screen waiting for the windows to pop up, close, and was generally unable to end the process on most programs on that useless criminally beta software, so I said, hey I think I will, when my buddy told me to download Ubuntu.

11. FreeDesktop.org standards

12. Libre Software Philosophy

13. Fun stuff like Iconography (wish I knew Inkscape better, but am getting good at the GIMP and Phatch). Wish ImageMagick was easier and had a GTK GUI... hmm. Anybody wanna??? "/usr/bin/display" THE GUI for ImageMagick looks refreshingly poopy, but it is lightweight and has a floating menubar. Come to think of it, so does Xfce, and so did... well... my first favorite OS, NeXTSTEP. Coinkidink? Maybe not. I just like that sort of thing.

14. I'm going to fess up and admit it. I'm an audiophile. Yes yes. And a speaker *****. OK. deal with it. Ask me about audio, specifically Headphones and Headphone amps, and if you happen to have made yourself happy by buying a COWON D2, I can help you out. There are a few tricks you need to know.

15. I'm also going to rat myself out about being a werd nerd. I dig that that dude on American Idol stood out loud and proud as a werd nerd, and that Simon ruffed him up verbally for it.

16. Do you know how to package? Want to help me learn how? I would love to learn how to package themes for icons, usplash, GDM, etc. The Xubuntu team could also use help with packaging, and I wanna lend a hand, so I'm asking nicely for some links or pointers. The manuals on the Debian site made this intellectual snob feel "new."

17. Do you know any of the best places to learn xhtml, python, and php? share the luv! Ruby too... (I have the books but my attention span with this insomnia, I just don't know about obtuse books. I need pointed, targeted info on semantics and practical tips to wet my feet)

19. Cool and or useful Firefox Add-Ons (I liked it better when they called them extensions, like weave, bro.) OH, if you know and love Javascript/aka ECMAscript, or XUL and XML you may be interested in the Symphony OS that is being built and promoted by IBM (loved my first job there). Just google it until I find my bookmark and paste the link.

20. Xgl. The future of X. It made a previous install of Xubuntu/Xfce look real nice. It had a ..few.. stability issues, but I counted, and I had about 86 tabs open in multiple firefox and flock windows. yeah. I know. I need help. Or a hobby. That's why I'm soliciting for causeware, and attempting to meaningfully contribute to my distro and the greater Ubutnu community.

SO... That's 20 things about Yours Truly. What about you? What are your interests, pet projects, and peeves? I'm interested and I'm sure everyone else is too! :KS

:lolflag: Somebody shoot me or take me under their wing. I think I like Linux too much.

Best,
Leo

matthew
April 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for letting us know. I'll disable the old account for you and remove any personal info from its profile.

itsanudae
April 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
GREAT! thanks. Have a great 2008, and a Happy Hardy!

Ptero-4
April 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
God to hear that itsanudae.
As for my personal hobbies and peeves.

My hobby is videogames, specially survival horror (I really dig the Resident Evil series and the Silent Hill series).

My peeves (with ubuntu and linux in general)
Lack of a good smooth bootsplash system, bootsplash is getting booted out and replaced with usplash which is as awful as the win95 boot process (it "drops to DOS" at random, is awfully unable to handle tuxonice, and cannot theme VT's)
This is more ubuntu specific. You cannot replace usplash because the stupid upstart barfs and won't recognize neither splashy nor bootsplash/fbsplash, and once you uninstalled usplash reinstalling it won't get it going.
Another one is that the gtk2 guys doesn't want to include the mac menubar patch in mainline gtk2 neither they want to make it possible to use icon view in the gtk2 dialogs.
And the gnome guys doesn't want to put neither icon view in file-roller nor the spring loaded folders patch in nautilus.