PDA

View Full Version : Galway Linux sage

Helios1276
April 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hey folks, Just wondering if there is anyone in Galway willing to give me a quick helping hand with regards to my Ubuntu set up and an issue I'm having with wpa encryption. I'm pretty new to all things Ubuntu/linux, any help would be greatly appreciated and if your time is money then I'd be willing to pay. Cheers :popcorn:(

MarkRobert
April 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm a bit of a novice as well, but you never know! What problem are you having? If it's with wpa I assume your card is detected?

andrewgdotcom
April 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
You might like to cross-post this message to galway-lug@googlegroups.com (membership required, log in here (http://groups.google.com/group/galway-lug)) - we have a number of laptop-wielding ubuntuheads who may be able to help.

Andrew.

Helios1276
April 8th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I'm a bit of a novice as well, but you never know! What problem are you having? If it's with wpa I assume your card is detected?

Hey Mark, well the thread below outlines my situation but if you haven't the time to read i'll summarise ;)

Basically, I'm connecting to a Belkin router at home for my wireless. When I turn encryption off I have no problems getting online but once encryption is turned on I can only 'connect' I can't for example get Firefox onto Google or anything. Went through a couple of things in NM manager then changed over to Wicd but nothing has changed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=745070&highlight=helios1276

spmccann
April 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I had the same issue on different hardware.. Just fixed it. Gave in and used the ndis wrapper and the windows driver. After trying wifi radar etc. Not impressed with me open source 4495 linux driver.
Ubuntu seems to have issues with wep that hardy has NOT fixed.

Helios1276
April 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I had the same issue on different hardware.. Just fixed it. Gave in and used the ndis wrapper and the windows driver. After trying wifi radar etc. Not impressed with me open source 4495 linux driver.
Ubuntu seems to have issues with wep that hardy has NOT fixed.

How much of a headache is Ndiswrapper?

Lutin
April 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Where exactly in Galway are you? Might be able to help if close enough.

Helios1276
April 28th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Well crisis over, Hardy has actually solved every major and minor issue I had..Im awful impressed to say the least! Still gonna give the next GLUG meeting a go if exams permit though.