PDA

View Full Version : $30 for a beta

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Sky OS looks cool and I would be interested in playing around with it, but they want $30 before they will let you try it. Most people do beta testing for free or they get payed to be beta testers I've never heard of Someone charging people to run there unreleased beta software. Is this unique or does this happen more than I think it does?

Bungo Pony
April 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
That's a rip-off. I got my Beta for $5.

http://www.betamaxtodvd.com/images/betamax_to_dvd.gif

...oh wait, you're talking about software, aren't you?

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
After his Ubuntu "review" I think I'll get it on BitTorrent. Not because I plan on installing it, I just want to add to the number of seeders.

tubasoldier
April 7th, 2008, 04:29 AM
With one developer SkyOS doesn't have much of a chance of becoming a real great OS. RiscOS has more potential than Sky. The guy can't install a linux distro therefore I really doubt his ability to write an OS.

TeraDyne
April 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
$30... for a beta OS... that looks as visually appealing as KDE2...

*sigh* And here I thought developers were supposed to be SMART before the started such things...

xArv3nx
April 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I'd just like to add that you also get the final version for free if you are a beta tester.

Other than that, I'd rather use something not developed by one man, especially if I have to pay for it.

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 05:23 AM
SkyOS is going to be released as a commercial operating system, meaning in the end you'll likely have to pay for it. By joining the beta program you will get the final version when it is available, so you'll have to pay later anyway. The price might even be lower for beta testers than it will be for people who buy it in the final stage.

People who are genuinely interested in the project that will actually contribute and be part of the community will pay. He is offering services along with the product, such as technical support from team members.

And really I so no validity in an operating system being developed by one or a few people. A ton of operating systems have been developed that way, and they look fine to me. He also has quite a few application developers and others to aid him and allow him to maximize time spent on the operating system.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 7th, 2008, 05:27 AM
After his Ubuntu "review" I think I'll get it on BitTorrent. Not because I plan on installing it, I just want to add to the number of seeders.

That wasn't a review, that was a rant about things going wrong for him. I can't believe people are so upset by that...
Granted, it was a dumb rant and a rather short-sighted perspective to take, but... sheesh. By your logic, your post is also a review of SkyOS -- and not a nice one.

Besides that, software piracy is seriously harming the impact, availability and image of free software. Don't do it.

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM
You're surprised that people were upset by a longwinded and rambly "rant" that looked to be mostly BS and was clearly a ploy to knock down the biggest alternative OS and indirectly pump his own. Wow.

Secondly, settle down. I'd never waste my bandwidth on that idiot's merchandise.

Thirdly, how is my post a review? Maybe a review of his character, but now you're just stretching.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM
People who are genuinely interested in the project that will actually contribute and be part of the community will pay.

Thats not true I am interested in it. how do I know it's worth $30 or worth my time.
with linux you can try the distro then decide if it's worth your contribution. How do I know it will even get finished? these are the reasons I don't spend $30 for it, not because I'm not interested

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Thats not true I am interested in it. how do I know it's worth $30 or worth my time.
with linux you can try the distro then decide if it's worth your contribution. How do I know it will even get finished? these are the reasons I don't spend $30 for it, not because I'm not interested

You read the features it provides and then you justify whether it's worth that money to you. How do you determine whether anything you buy is worth the money? Not everything is free.

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I'd just like to add that you also get the final version for free if you are a beta tester.

Other than that, I'd rather use something not developed by one man, especially if I have to pay for it.

Just to note, if you pay for the beta and then get the final version for free, you paid for the OS.

After all, if you didn't buy the OS, you'd buy the final version. Where's the benefit in being a beta tester?

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Just to note, if you pay for the beta and then get the final version for free, you paid for the OS.

After all, if you didn't buy the OS, you'd buy the final version. Where's the benefit in being a beta tester?

Being able to use the operating system before it is officially released as well as getting technical support from developers. Not all beta software is bug-ridden to the point that it is not useful.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM
You're surprised that people were upset by a longwinded and rambly "rant" that looked to be mostly BS and was clearly a ploy to knock down the biggest alternative OS and indirectly pump his own. Wow.

Secondly, settle down. I'd never waste my bandwidth on that idiot's merchandise.

Thirdly, how is my post a review? Maybe a review of his character, but now you're just stretching.

I seen it as more of an attempt to discredit the ubuntu project than a review of his
personal experience. to me it seemed like he took some known issues with certain
hardware and used it to fabricate the worst ubuntu install of all time. As some one
else said this guy is a developer you would think he would have some idea what he was doing or at least check hardware compatibility if any thing this little rant discredited him some what "like if this guy can't figure out how to install ubuntu why should I spend $30 on his OS"

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
You read the features it provides and then you justify whether it's worth that money to you. How do you determine whether anything you buy is worth the money? Not everything is free.

How do I know the features work? If I buy something from the store I can return it if it doesn't work. And I have never bought nor will I ever buy software unless I can try it first.

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Being able to use the operating system before it is officially released as well as getting technical support from developers. Not all beta software is bug-ridden to the point that it is not useful.

So if I wait to buy the normal version of SkyOS, I don't get tech support from the developers? Man, there's a project I feel like plunking my cash down on.

Paying for the "privilege" of testing out someone's software offends me anyway. If he wants to sell it, cool. His property. Charging for a beta is idiotic, however.

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I seen it as more of an attempt to discredit the ubuntu project than a review of his
personal experience. to me it seemed like he took some known issues with certain
hardware and used it to fabricate the worst ubuntu install of all time. As some one
else said this guy is a developer you would think he would have some idea what he was doing or at least check hardware compatibility if any thing this little rant discredited him some what "like if this guy can't figure out how to install ubuntu why should I spend $30 on his OS"

I do believe his rant was valid. He merely said that Ubuntu was not a Windows XP/Vista replacement - which I believe is true in terms of mainstream adoption. Ubuntu has failed for me on two hardware configurations before, and there was nothing I could do about it. Many times I had to go deep into editing configuration files and doing non-standard things. I agree with his rant and don't think there's much wrong with it.

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 05:53 AM
So if I wait to buy the normal version of SkyOS, I don't get tech support from the developers? Man, there's a project I feel like plunking my cash down on.

Paying for the "privilege" of testing out someone's software offends me anyway. If he wants to sell it, cool. His property. Charging for a beta is idiotic, however.

It is undisclosed to my knowledge whether normal version gets regular technical support, logic says yes.

Also, like I said, you are paying for the final version and services given to you. A commercial product is still commercial even when it is in beta.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM
oh I figured it out. your a troll. now I get it before I couldn't figure out why you were on this guys nuts so much now it makes sense.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
It is undisclosed to my knowledge whether normal version gets regular technical support, logic says yes.

Also, like I said, you are paying for the final version and services given to you. A commercial product is still commercial even when it is in beta.

Microsoft pays there beta testers not vice versa

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Microsoft pays there beta testers not vice versa

Can you cite your source for that?

If you mean internal beta test where employers are paid to iron out bugs, etc,. then no.

oh I figured it out. your a troll. now I get it before I couldn't figure out why you were on this guys nuts so much now it makes sense.

If being a troll means defending what you believe to be a valid action, then yes.

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I do believe his rant was valid. He merely said that Ubuntu was not a Windows XP/Vista replacement - which I believe is true in terms of mainstream adoption. Ubuntu has failed for me on two hardware configurations before, and there was nothing I could do about it. Many times I had to go deep into editing configuration files and doing non-standard things. I agree with his rant and don't think there's much wrong with it.

Did you actually read it? He didn't "merely" say Ubuntu was not a Windows replacement. He raked it over the coals and all but came right out and called it a piece of ****. Just out of curiosity, what were those two configurations? And what version of Ubuntu did you try?

His rant was completely invalid. Not only that, but horrendously petty and self-damaging coming from a developer. It made him look like a barnacle on Ubuntu's hull, hoping to leech off some attention to bring himself business.

And, once again, charging for a beta is idiotic. Beta testers are doing YOU a favor by taking your software for a test run and helping YOU get all the bugs out before it goes to the final version. Charging for a beta version is like making someone pay to participate in one of those clinical trials for new medicine.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 06:09 AM
troll as in you have been a member of the forums for 3 years and have nine beans to show for it which means you have done nothing to help out anybody you just show up now and then to argue with people

|2A|N
April 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I would rather donate $30 to Ubuntu or another distro because at least I know the money is going towards something useful. No disrespect but SkyOS has failure written all over it, one person cant simply make a complete OS on his own from scratch and keep up with all the support needed for apps, drivers, programs, security issues and other things down the line. It just doesn't seem ethical to me..!

DahVid
April 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I'm done here as it has digressed from a philosophical argument into personal attacks.

Cya!

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 06:22 AM
he was the first to attack implying that I must not be interested or I would pay and then saying not everything is free implying that I'm some kind of pirate or that I'm looking for a hand out besides that the post was about wether charging for a beta was a common practice not weather or not they had a right to do it

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I would rather donate $30 to Ubuntu or another distro because at least I know the money is going towards something useful. No disrespect but SkyOS has failure written all over it, one person cant simply make a complete OS on his own from scratch and keep up with all the support needed for apps, drivers, programs, security issues and other things down the line. It just doesn't seem ethical to me..!

Not remotely ethical. A one-man operation charging $30 for people to test his software for him? Forgive my language, but bullllllllllllshit.

LaRoza
April 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Keep it respectful people, this thread is generating reports.

phrostbyte
April 7th, 2008, 06:46 AM
His operating system might never be successful, but his ability to troll the Ubuntu community so well deserves some merit. I am impressed how much buzz is being inadvertently generated. Maybe I should make a PhrostbyteOS and start writing negative reviews about every other OS and charge 30 euro to use my crappy operating system. I could probably land some sales from gullible people from all the free marketing by angry people I'll get. Brilliant.

|2A|N
April 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM
His operating system might never be successful, but his ability to troll the Ubuntu community so well deserves some merit. I am impressed how much buzz is being inadvertently generated. Maybe I should make a PhrostbyteOS and start writing negative reviews about every other OS and charge 30 euro to use my crappy operating system. I could probably land some sales from gullible people from all the free marketing by angry people I'll get. Brilliant.

I agree, perhaps we should just ignore this make believe SkyOS and focus more on Hardy development at least thats going somewhere :)

LaRoza
April 7th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I agree, perhaps we should just ignore this make believe SkyOS and focus more on Hardy development at least thats going somewhere :)

I agree, this SkyOS has gotten more attention than it merits. I am not belittling it as I haven't tried it, but any product that is known because of troll like behavior to generate interest should be ignored.

gsmanners
April 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I actually have tried SkyOS, and I think it's worth $30, but take that as my opinion. It does a good job for low-end computers.

The thing is, you're basically paying for a kernel. Everything else is pretty much free software, but you do get access to a special repository just like Ubuntu.

IsawSp4rks
April 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Personally I put more faith into MenuetOS 64bit than SkyOS.