PDA

View Full Version : Deep fried heart

boozereaper
April 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Seems there has been a bit of a media blitz on cholesterol lately in Australia. I've been reading a few articles here and there and it seems to centre on some new research that has recently come out. Mainly that if everyone in Australia dropped their cholesterol levels by just 10%, 3000 less people would die / year, that 1 in 2 Australians have high cholesterol and that only 1 in 5 Australians are aware they have high cholesterol.

To help improve this issue, there are going to be free cholesterol tests conducted nation wide next week (7-12 April). For those of you living in Australia, like me, this site (http://www.testthenation.com.au/) has all the details. For those of you not living in Australia, I would assume that those statistics would be relatively similar in other developed countries.

Thoughts?

insineratehymn
April 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I want a doughnut.

freebeer
April 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sounds like the pharmaceutical companies are behind the awareness campaign. Yes, "high" cholesterol (or more properly: imbalanced ratios) are a health threat. But often missed in the discussion is that high cholesterol is 80% genetic and 20% diet. While proper diet can help with the ratios, it only can do 20% of the job. The rest, being genetic, requires intervention through medication. (at least that's how its been explained to me)

popch
April 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The rest, being genetic, requires intervention through medication. (at least that's how its been explained to me)

Would changing your ancestors help?

chucky chuckaluck
April 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM

i've disowned two uncles, but it didn't help (should have checked their levels before i dumped them, i guess).

popch
April 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
i've disowned two uncles, but it didn't help (should have checked their levels before i dumped them, i guess).

Uncles are not quite in line. The effect even might be further diminished if they are paternal uncles.

bruce89
April 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Deep fried heart

That made me think this was about Glasgow.

freebeer
April 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM

http://www.freebeer.is-a-geek.org/graphics/lmao2.gif

But that would wreak havoc with all the inheritance laws. Very messy. :D

popch
April 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
But that would wreak havoc with all the inheritance laws. Very messy.

You can start by repealing Mendel's laws. They are overdue and dangerously close to evolution.

LaRoza
April 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM
You can start by repealing Mendel's laws. They are overdue and dangerously close to evolution.

No matter how you shuffle a deck of cards and how worn they get in the process, you don't get a chess set eventually.

Tomatz
April 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Seems there has been a bit of a media blitz on cholesterol lately in Australia. I've been reading a few articles here and there and it seems to centre on some new research that has recently come out. Mainly that if everyone in Australia dropped their cholesterol levels by just 10%, 3000 less people would die / year, that 1 in 2 Australians have high cholesterol and that only 1 in 5 Australians are aware they have high cholesterol.

To help improve this issue, there are going to be free cholesterol tests conducted nation wide next week (7-12 April). For those of you living in Australia, like me, this site (http://www.testthenation.com.au/) has all the details. For those of you not living in Australia, I would assume that those statistics would be relatively similar in other developed countries.

Thoughts?

Good news!

If you keep it up maybe we will win the ashes back.

:lolflag:

popch
April 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
No matter how you shuffle a deck of cards and how worn they get in the process, you don't get a chess set eventually.

Not even a scrawny little pawn? - Yes, you're quite right.

What I don't get is the title of this thread, and what it has to do with Glasgow.

Where I live they serve heart raw and not deep fried, and they serve them to cats and dogs only, as far as I am aware.

chucky chuckaluck
April 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Uncles are not quite in line. The effect even might be further diminished if they are paternal uncles.

it probably doesn't work in a portrait of dorian gray kind of way, either.

Kingsley
April 6th, 2008, 06:00 PM
That made me think this was about Glasgow.

Ha! I was thinking Scotland when I read the thread title.

Tundro Walker
April 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM
The American Medical Association and American Dietary Association got a big push going in the late 80's & through-out the 90's to get Americans to eat less meat, more grains and lower fat in order to lose weight and reduce cholesterol.

Today, we're fatter and have higher cholesterol than ever before, all due to the high-grain diet foisted on us over the past 15 years.

Hope Australia doesn't get suckered into the same fiasco.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'll prefer my heart BBQed

boozereaper
April 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
The American Medical Association and American Dietary Association got a big push going in the late 80's & through-out the 90's to get Americans to eat less meat, more grains and lower fat in order to lose weight and reduce cholesterol.

Today, we're fatter and have higher cholesterol than ever before, all due to the high-grain diet foisted on us over the past 15 years.

Hope Australia doesn't get suckered into the same fiasco.

We've evolved to eat meat, fruit and veges. You can't mess with evolution.

F*** the creationists /
They want to have their stuff taught in public class /
Steven J Gould should stick his boot up their ***
-MC Hawking