PDA

View Full Version : can't upgrade processor

swoll1980
April 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
A friend of mine just told me that he bought and installed a new processor went to reinstall windows and while he was registering with microsoft they said he would have to buy a new license. Some how upgrading the processor terminated his old
license. Is this for real?

skymera
April 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I've read that upgrading certain parts of hardware can make ******* THINK it's a new PC.

As for terminating old license thats not true.

I'll do a quick Google search about it, im intruiged

Yes
April 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I thought Windows got the serial code on the motherboard, not the CPU?

I've also heard that you can just call them and explain that it's not a different computer, just some new hardware and they'll renew your license.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
he upgraded both as the old 478 socket motherboard does not support the new intel chips
as for the acuracy of his claim he's been known to strech he truth thats why I ask

madjr
April 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
A friend of mine just told me that he bought and installed a new processor went to reinstall windows and while he was registering with microsoft they said he would have to buy a new license. Some how upgrading the processor terminated his old

yep is for real

set him up with Ubuntu meanwhile :D

TeraDyne
April 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I thought Windows got the serial code on the motherboard, not the CPU?

Actually, it takes all of the hardware and issues a special ID number, IIRC. If the hardware changes, so does the ID number. That's why it thinks the machine is different.

set him up with Ubuntu meanwhile

I second that suggestion.

Sunflower1970
April 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM

As others have said, it's real. I've had it happen to me. Twice. All you need to do is call and let them know you need a new code to reinstall Windows. Most of the time they won't give you any trouble and give a new code, but I have heard of people who did get the third degree about a new code.

I've had a hard drive go out and needed to reinstall XP on the new drive (long before I had tried Ubuntu), told MS the truth on that one, but I got a few questions about what I was doing. Have to say I was worried they were not going to believe the truth and deny me a new code. Second time I had installed Windows too many times in VMWare and I needed a new code. I called and just told them that I had tried Linux, hated it and wanted Windows back. The person didn't even give me any hassle. Gave a new code without a second thought. I hated lying but if it was going to get me a code without any questions like the first time, I was all for it.