PDA

View Full Version : Building a server/mediacenter, ideas/experiances wanted !?!

Sceiron
April 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hello !

I'm starting on a new project now. I want to rebuild my xp-desktop computer to a ubuntu server/mediacenter. But i want to try get some input from the UF.
Parts:
Asus P5PL2 Motherboard with 1 x IDE
1 NEC IDE DVD burner/reader
1 120GB HDD IDE (will host operating system)
3 x 200GB HDD SATA (will host media such as video music, etc)
Asus Extreme N7800 GT Graphics Card
1 Happauge TV-card

Software:
I will use ubuntu 7.10 as a test subject until the stable relese of 8.04 is out. This is because im familiar with gutsy, and im not into the serverpart more then that i need to acsess my computer from anywhere in the world.
I'm planning on using myth-tv. All i know about myth-tv is that is a mediacenter-thing, but i'll get into that later when i have the equppment set up.

Noise aspect:
I will buy and install a fanless powersupply to reduce the noise. Any good experiences form the users here ?
Since i have 2 Golden Orb ultra fans on my CPU and GPU i will not replace them, but they doesnt make so much noise.

Cabinett solution:
I want to make the cabinett as small as possible. Is there anyone out there who know of some smart/small cabinetts to use for the mediacenter. It gotta look nice too !! Links would be nice ?? :popcorn:

The SPDIF question:
Some time back i have burned up one steroamplifier using phonocables from my desktop computer(and one fuse on my current amp), so i have decide to buy DAC to connect to my Analog High End Stereo apm. The SPDIF out is integrated in the motherboard, is it possible to get this output working?

So for the surrond-reciever part:
Im using mplayer (svn) for playing HD-DVD's does this support DD5.1 and will it be possible to stream DD5.1 for this player to the SPDIF output on the motherboard ?

EDIT:
And im looking for some kind of remote control. I dont wanna be using the Keyboard for browsing media etc. I have had some bad experience with IR recievers, but im open for suggestions .

Any other views/ideas are most welcome !

madjr
April 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
try mythbuntu

it has special tools and it's an official release

RandomJoe
April 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
It's been quite a while since I ran Myth, but when I was I found it was much nicer to run two systems. A larger, beefier system in the back room that ran the backend and all associated processes, and a tiny quiet system in the living room running the frontend. Since the frontend just needs to display video and play sound, it doesn't need to be nearly as beefy of a system.

At one point, I had a P4 server with tons of disk space in back, and a Mac Mini in the living room. Very small and quiet where it counted! Just needs a good, fast network connection so wireless is out unless you are willing to drop the quality down some. I did that too, at times, as I would take the laptop out back and sit on the patio while watching shows.