PDA

View Full Version : New results for Acid3 test on Firefox3 beta 5

PmDematagoda
April 6th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I have just checked out the acid3 test with Firefox3 beta 5 and the result has now risen to 70/100, this is really great since Firefox3 is still in beta and has a bit of a long way to go before being released yet they have managed to achieve 70/100 on the acid3 test.

I have a feeling that this means the release of Firefox3 is going to be a big one, nice job Mozilla keep up the good work:lolflag:.

tamoneya
April 6th, 2008, 02:37 AM
is it just me or has it taken a lot less time for browsers to start passing the acid3 than the acid 2. I feel like the acid3 wasnt made hard enough and we are already needing acid4.

Jay_Bee
April 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Yes, but I don't think that acid3 is weak, its just that developers saw an opportunity to say "We passed the test, we support web standards", it is a very good marketing, and the competition is strong.
Anyway, Firefox 3 will most likely get around 75-80 on its final release, which is still great!
You can monitor their progress here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pNgBCwWdyRTT2JeiZn4B2Yw

PmDematagoda
April 6th, 2008, 02:44 AM
is it just me or has it taken a lot less time for browsers to start passing the acid3 than the acid 2. I feel like the acid3 wasnt made hard enough and we are already needing acid4.

I guess it's the time in which Acid3 was released, it was during a time when many browsers were still in development so that meant that the developers of those browsers had the time to bring their browsers up to Acid3 standards.

SunnyRabbiera
April 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM
well even if it never passes it firefox will still be my browser, heck acid 2 is still not passed on firefox2 but I still like it

erichmj
April 6th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I'm a bit curious why people think an arbitrary test like the Acid tests even make a difference. I don't care about the results, I just want my chosen browser to work. Passing the Acid tests doesn't mean the browser works any better.

SomeGuyDude
April 6th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Opera beats FF on Acid tests.

Aside from slight differences in text formatting, pages look the exact same in both and I have never, not ONCE, found a page that renders incorrectly in FF but correctly in Opera or vice versa. Thus, I have no idea why the Acid tests should matter to me.

Bachstelze
April 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Wow. And beta 4 was at 68%. Impressive. Maybe they'll hit 100% for Firefox 8 :p

pjalegria
April 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
:lolflag:

bruce89
April 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Opera beats FF on Acid tests.

A few hours later, WebKit passed. You could argue that was the first public pass of Acid 3, as anyone can compile the source.

retrow
April 8th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have just checked out the acid3 test with Firefox3 beta 5 and the result has now risen to 70/100.

It got to 71/100 when I tested.

http://nuclear-imaging.info/files/image/acid3ffx3b5.png

jdong
April 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
A few hours later, WebKit passed. You could argue that was the first public pass of Acid 3, as anyone can compile the source.

http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/changeset/31322

The way they went about doing it, in my opinion, is anything but honorable.

Also, note that WebKit is in rapid development phase while Firefox is freezing up for a pending release. Some of the changes necessary to pass Acid3 are quite intrusive to the codebase and I, for one, am glad Firefox is sticking to its 3.0 release engineering strategy.

bruce89
April 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/changeset/31322

The way they went about doing it, in my opinion, is anything but honorable.

What's wrong with that?

vexorian
April 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
His sig?

acid3 tests don't matter that much, I think that there's some sort of important milestone at around 65/100 for a browser to be acceptable, most web devs don't use CSS3 that much...

At this moment Acid2 is what matters more, 3 will become more relevant with time, but it is not too important right now.

Also, I wish no browser needed to pass those two since it is implicit that a browser needs javascript to pass html and CSS standards? wtf?

bruce89
April 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
His sig??

Actually, this was before the test was passed.

What on earth is the Ahem font?

jdong
April 8th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Actually, this was before the test was passed.

What on earth is the Ahem font?

A specific font requested by the Acid3 test. The default antialiasing behavior of the WebKit rendering engine caused it to fail the test, so they specifically added a workaround so that it'd pass Acid3.

Whatever their reasons for doing this (I've read two justifications of this, usually citing that the specific behavior is not described well enough under the specs), adding a specific acid3 workaround to the codebase is clearly NOT the right solution.

bruce89
April 8th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Whatever their reasons for doing this (I've read two justifications of this, usually citing that the specific behavior is not described well enough under the specs), adding a specific acid3 workaround to the codebase is clearly NOT the right solution.

Indeed it isn't, but temporary workarounds are hardly the worst thing in the world.

If programmers were architects, all the buildings would be destroyed any time a rabbit thumps.

retrow
April 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM
If programmers were architects, all the buildings would be destroyed any time a rabbit thumps.

Only if rabbit >=0

tad1073
April 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/1862061

bruce89
April 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Only if rabbit >=0

rabbit = 0?

jdong
April 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Frankly the only thing gained by what Webkit chose to do is users will go "oooooooh webkit passes Acid3 while your browser doesn't!"

I'm not sure why this is beneficial to the webkit codebase or the Acid3 test's purpose. If there's a deficiency/ambiguity in the specifications that makes some of Acid3's tests defective, that should be addressed. Not masked by a hard-coded specific check in the webkit codebase. There's few excuses for that other than a greedy quest to have the highest test score.

retrow
April 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
rabbit = 0?It was a reality for most part when you consider
- inf < time < inf